BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GM 'Old Looks' from Russia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Everywhere Else
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: GM 'Old Looks' from Russia? Reply with quote

I couldn't believe my eyes when I came upon a site (below) with pictures of what look to be almost exact replicas of GM old looks from the forties built in the Soviet Union!

It's really no big surprise to me though because the Russians were good at copying pretty much anything including our Packard and Cadillac limousines.

In fact, I caught sight of them 'removing' a 1961 Cadillac limo on board 'comrade' Khrushchev's private liner as he was hightailing it out of town after that famous shoe banging episode at the U.N.!

It wasn't long after that that Moscow was teaming with Cadillac look alikes!

As far as the buses are concerned, they must have gone to great lengths to create the exact stampings - they might just as well have bought them right off the GM assembly line!

Enjoy! http://www.classicbusdepot.com/bus-photos/59_0_1_0_C/

Mr. Linsky

"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York
Cyberider

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen pictures of similar Soviet buses but none as close to a real Old Look that this one is. Very interesting! Guess they knew a good thing when they saw it.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating. The headlights strongly resemble a prewar Yellow Coach bus, which was the earliest version of the Old Look line. Is it possible one or more actual Yellow/GM buses were brought over to Europe during World War II and left behind?
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
Fascinating. The headlights strongly resemble a prewar Yellow Coach bus, which was the earliest version of the Old Look line. Is it possible one or more actual Yellow/GM buses were brought over to Europe during World War II and left behind?

RailBus63,

I would say that there must have been loads of them left all over Europe after the war - I don't think it would have paid to haul what was left of them back home.

Good thinking, because that's probably exactly what happened.

They may have actually used some of the originals and liked them so much that they copied them.

I wonder if there might be one left in a museum somewhere?

Mr. Linsky
"the Green Hornet"
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Some Aussie Buses Resemble US Models Reply with quote

In material that I get from Australia from time to time, I notice that a number of their buses bear a striking resemblance to buses used here in the states. This is particularly true of some of the highway coaches used by Crisps Coaches, Brisbane Bus Lines, McCafferty-Greyhound to name a few and some of the transit buses used by Sydney buses. They even had some MCIs adapted to their driving on the opposite side of the road that we do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.J.,

The closest photo that I have in my file (see below) is a mid forties White built for Australia with right hand drive as can be detected by the placement of the emergency door which is always on the driver's side.

Also, if you peek through the rear windows you can see the rear door on the left side.

Photo courtesy of White Motor Company Export.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.J.,

Here's another one I found in my files of a GM PD 4106 built for Australia.

Other than the lettering, you would think you're looking in your rear view mirror!

I'm wondering if the screen across the lower part of the windshield has something to do with insects?

Thanks to Colin Davison for the photo.

ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... it's right hand drive, but it appears the door is also on the right side. I guess Pioneer Tours didn't do much curbside dropoff!
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,

The problem with what you are seeing is the fact that the passenger door is so well fitted that it appears not to be a door at all!

The fact of the matter is that there is a passenger door on the left side.

Notice that there is a greater separation between the main front bumper and the small extension under the door so that the small extension can over-ride the bumper when the door is opened.

Also note on the Trailways 4106 below that there is an unbroken molding which surrounds the driver's window and the short angled window behind it which does not appear on the Australian model.

ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I see! Very clever design.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're on the subject of right hand drive buses, here's a 'Bingham Class' C-50 Mack demonstrator built for Stockholm, Sweden back in the 50's.

It is said that there was a relationship between Mack and Swedish bus builder Scania-Vabis, and that they were instrumental in securing for Mack several hundred orders for C-41-DT's for South American operators in the late forties.

The C-50 demonstrator served only as a model from which Scania fashioned a series of buses for the City of Stockholm.

Despite the claim in the ad, no other C-50's went to Sweden.

Photo courtesy of Mack Marketing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Everywhere Else All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: