BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Do You Respond When Asked, "Why did you buy a bus?&

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which type of bus would you like to own, if you don't already have one?
New Look/Fishbowl
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Old Look
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
RTS
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Blue Bird
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Orion
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
New Flyer
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Crown
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Gillig Phantom
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
GM Buffalo (or similar)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Scenicruiser
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

BigLarry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: How Do You Respond When Asked, "Why did you buy a bus?& Reply with quote

I own a 1983 New Look which I keep in my office parking lot. Whenever I tell somebody that I own it, they invariably ask "why?" After getting tired of giving long answers regarding my life-long love of New Look and Old Look buses, which I rode in Brooklyn, New York the entire time I was growing up, I decided on this standard response: "I didn't have a happy childhood, so I'm trying to have one now." I'm 51.

What do the rest of you bus owners say to people who ask you the same question?

Big Larry
MarkW

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As some of the people here know, I own 3 buses.

When people ask why, I usually say that some people like old cars. I like old buses.
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with Mark. I bought my bus becuase of sentimental reasons. I rode on one of a particular model since it was delivered new and when I heard they were being destroyed my heart broke.

So what do I tell them? I just want the rare opportunity to own a tangible peice of my childhood.

Hey Mark you dork! call me! LOL!!!
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, there is no option entitled 'NONE' in the above survey because that's the one I would have checked!

This, in no way, diminishes my interest and love for old buses (and especially GM Old Looks), and it's not to say that I wouldn't like to have one except that not only would I get thrown off the block where I live but divorce papers would be awaiting me at my front door!

I mean, I had a tough enough time convincing my wife to allow me to have a beautiful chromium plated Johnson model 'D' farebox as a lamp in my den!

In all seriousness though, at 71 I think I'm too old to have a real bus to play with, and the expenses associated with such an endeavor (even for me!) would be prohibitive.

So, I'll stick with my few pieces of memorabilia that I pick up on eBay, my great collection of photos and the memories I have of actually driving Old Looks for Green Line.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
BigLarry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Owning a Bus Reply with quote

My ex-wife said to me, "It's either me or that bus!"

Me, my bus, and my new wife are all very happy together.

Big Larry
Laughing
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Owning a Bus Reply with quote

BigLarry wrote:
My ex-wife said to me, "It's either me or that bus!"

Me, my bus, and my new wife are all very happy together.

Big Larry
Laughing

Hello Larry---(what a lousy show that was). Perhaps you could have arranged to give her all the collections in the fare box as alimony.

While I wish I had the skill to do simple repairs, I would love to keep it on a 70 foot driveway in front of my house. Don't know about zoning laws in Huntington as it pertains to Campers or Motorhomes as I would register and insure that vehicle.

When people ask me why I love buses and subways. I tell them that I grew up in Queens. My mom didn't have the funds to buy a car, so everywhere I (we) went was by bus and subway. Therefore, they were my first love, rather than cars and trucks. If you don't like it or think its strange, I just shrug my shoulders and think that "it's your problem, not mine!"

Of course should I ever buy a bus, guess who'd be first in line clamoring for a ride !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: