BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

qt express

View previous topic :: View next topic  
asdfasdf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: qt express Reply with quote

Looking through my roster notes, I came across this company - QT Express. They had six T8H5307A's from Triboro Coach that eventually went to Queens Surface.

Does anyone remember what route(s) they had or even what their reason for existence was?

Bob K
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If memory serves, the QT was a Triboro Coach route that used buses that were painted in a special livery. I think I have a brochure for it; I'll have to do some digging.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'QT' does mean Quick Trip and was created by Triboro Coach in 1990 under the name 'Two Borough Express' to fill a gap in transit service between the Queenbridge subway station in Long island City and LaGuardia Airport (Queensbridge being newly created as part of the 63rd. Street IND line).

The route was franchised as the Q57 but did not carry that designation on destination signs.

Service ran every twenty minutes from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. using six former Triboro GMD T8H-5307A's which were fitted with soft padded seats and specially painted featuring cream and red stripes.

Unfortunately, service ended in May of 1991 due to lack of ridership.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Last edited by Mr. Linsky on Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance that these are the buses that were numbered in the 1360 series at Queens Surface?
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,

In 1979 Triboro bought 15 new GMD T8H-5307A numbered 615 to 629.

Of those 15, six were eventually selected for refitting as Two Borough Express and they were #'s 616, 618, 620 622, 625 and 628 (they retained their original Triboro assignments).

At the same time, Queens Transit purchased 25 of the same model numbered 771 to 795.

The only mention of the then Queens/Nassau in the Triboro records would be 17 ACF model H-16-S's that the company bought used from Q/N between 1953 and 1954.

asdfasdf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The six T8H5307A's retained their QT Express numbers when they were sold to Queens Surface.

The Queens Surface 1360's were ex-New York Bus Service 1361-1366 and 1374-1379 (T6H5308A's).

Bob K
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info; I updated the Queens Surface roster accordingly. Were Steinway Transit #606-630 (1976 T8H5308A) renumbered or gone by the time Queens Surface got the Triboro buses?
Waynejay

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrbob wrote:
The six T8H5307A's retained their QT Express numbers when they were sold to Queens Surface.

The Queens Surface 1360's were ex-New York Bus Service 1361-1366 and 1374-1379 (T6H5308A's).

Bob K

I remember those Triboro GMD 5307As, but I never knew they went to QSC. I do remember when those NYBS 5308As went to QSC along with some of their P8M-4905As. Didn't know where they came from until one day I looked inside of one of them and saw the blue/red seating.

QSC had a bunch of GMD 5307As 3-22, 771-795 and 841-85X. I may be wrong, but I seem to recall once seeing/hearing a GMD 5307A at QT in the 79X series with a DD 6V92TA engine?
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever since I've been in this bus historian business (so to speak) there has been one thing that has irked me;

Among most if not all of the rosters that I have seen both on the web and among the many issues of Motor Coach Age that I possess, none will tell you where the spent equipment of a company winds up.

The only information generally available is what ex's a company has purchased.

Fortunately, in the case of Green Bus Lines (NY), my work sheets from the company spell out exactly that information in detail.

Alan Bromberger, whose history of Green Line was a brilliant effort and is Biblical to me, had the same information sheets as I do and yet never published that data.

I believe that knowing where used buses went is just as important as knowing where used buses came from!

It could be argued that by 'reverse engineering' you could compile such records on your own with enough time and enough issues of Motor Coach Age - but that's a little ridiculous!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: