BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[CT] New England Transportation bus services

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: [CT] New England Transportation bus services Reply with quote

In the late 1940's, the red, white, and black buses of New England Transportation provided intercity services in Connecticut. My father's parents lived in Winsted, and we usually rode the New Haven Railroad between Grand Central and Winsted. However, if a more convenient departure from Winsted was available by New England Transportation (a subsidiary of the railroad, I believe), we might take NET to Waterbury, New Haven, or Hartford to catch a train. On trips from Winsted to Hartford, there might be a meet at Canton with a bus from Torrington. At one time, I recall NET carrying 35mm feature films to a movie house in Torrington. My recollection is that the fleet about 1948 was totally Flxible, but my memory could be bad, bad. In later years, with the demise of rail service and the move of a relative to a nursing home, our trips became one-day ventures on Vermont Transit or Greyhound joint services. I have no idea when NET went out of business. Any comments?
Thank you. Joe McMahon
Bill D

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a reference to The New England Transportation Co. in the book New Haven Power by Jack Swanberg. The company was formed by the New Haven Railroad in 1925, to stay ahead of competing bus lines, and to convert some lightly patronized rail lines to buses. By the end of 1928, the company had almost 250 buses, which operated 700 trips daily on about 55 routes. Many routes were sold to Greyhound in 1939, but NET continued in operation until 1958. Flxibles are not mentioned as part of their fleet, but during the 1940's they operated many GM PDA-3702 coaches. The last buses purchased by New England Transportation were five model TDM-4515's and five PD-4104's in 1954. I hope this information helps you out.

Bill Dobkins
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for looking up the information about New England transportation. Yes, I think I was confused between rather streamlined GM's and Flxibles: unless I am wrong, they had no rear windows and perhaps something like a drumhead there.
I am appreciate the information you gave.
Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: