BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Automaker Restructuring-Ford may Dump Entire Mercury Line

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Automaker Restructuring-Ford may Dump Entire Mercury Line Reply with quote

From what I have heard on the news, it looks like the restructuring of the US automakers is going like I thought it would. Ford Motor Company is getting r eady to dump its entire Mercury line, virtually all of which is duplicative of the Ford Division's products. It's a move I feel should have been done a long time ago. If this is not wasteful duplication, then what is? As for General Motors, the Hummer and Saturn Lines are both on their way out in their entirety and some Pontiac models are going as well. As for Chrysler, they seem to be the least viable of the Detroit 3. I think that those Dodge or Chrystler lines that are duplicative of each other should be merged to gether with one line eliminated. BTW what does GM need two duplicative truck lines for?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dieseljim -

You noted that Ford earlier announced it cut loose Mazda operations? Leaves us all wondering how that will shake out...

Otherwise, Dodge goes its own way? They have iron on the street that is simply relabeled, comparable Jeep. Gotta' love the present Dodge "hatchback" design...

"Duplicative" can't have a lot of impact at assembly line level? It does provide opportunity for more dealerships, which aren't on the builder's money, anyway?
Duplicative is more of an added, incremental, builder marketing expense? I don't know the inside on this stuff. Maybe I should call Brock Yates?

.......................Vern..................
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bigger issue here is that our overwhelmingly massive goverment that consists of total and extreme enviro-whackos are telling Detroit how to build a car. The restrictions that put on detroit are extraordianarly massive and our auto manufacturers can't really build a car that WE THE PEOPLE want to drive. The technology that goes into "green cars" costs massive amounts of moolah.

I know there are other factors involved. Decrepid,, Corrupt unions. I realize this. But it's this whole "green" movement is, I think the major factor in the decline, or maybe even the dissapearance of the Amercan Auto Manufacturer.

Cheers!
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can add to this the fact that the oil companies have had a more than passing influence on American auto manufacturing from day one!

I think in the final analysis General Motors will be reduced to making Cadillacs, Buicks (and only because Buick for some reason sells so well overseas) and Chevrolets - I can't say if or where GMC will fit into the picture.

As far as Ford goes, Mercury has been useless for years and is long overdue for extinction.

Lincoln should concentrate their efforts on the Town Car which has had a good deal of success since 1985 - they should give up on all the other junk including the Navigators that don't sell any more.

Ford does a fabulous job with the Crowns for taxis and police cars and the rest of the line isn't all that bad.

Chrysler is a joke! their best bet is to try to sell off Jeep and Dodge and get out of the automobile business altogether!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Time to tell EnviroWhackos to go Fly a Kite Reply with quote

shortlineMCI wrote:
The bigger issue here is that our overwhelmingly massive goverment that consists of total and extreme enviro-whackos are telling Detroit how to build a car. The restrictions that put on detroit are extraordianarly massive and our auto manufacturers can't really build a car that WE THE PEOPLE want to drive. The technology that goes into "green cars" costs massive amounts of moolah.

I know there are other factors involved. Decrepid,, Corrupt unions. I realize this. But it's this whole "green" movement is, I think the major factor in the decline, or maybe even the dissapearance of the Amercan Auto Manufacturer.

Cheers!

I think it is time for Detroit to stand up to the Envirowhackos and tell them to go fly a kite and if they don't like it they can go to Mexico, or better yet, go to hell for all I care and go about building cars PEOPLE want and CAN afford. If the envirowackos want this pollution control shit in their vehicles, let THEM pay for it, NOT the rest of us.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to tell EnviroWhackos to go Fly a Kite Reply with quote

Dieseljim wrote:
I think it is time for Detroit to stand up to the Envirowhackos and tell them to go fly a kite and if they don't like it they can go to Mexico, or better yet, go to hell for all I care and go about building cars PEOPLE want and CAN afford. If the envirowackos want this pollution control shit in their vehicles, let THEM pay for it, NOT the rest of us.

Agreed. The evirowhackos unfortunately have lots and lots of money and unfortunately part of our government, therefore controlling our government. The unfortunate poor excuses for life forms called tree huggers have succesfully prevented our oil industry from drilling in ANWAR and even in South Dakota. That would have givin us the ability to completely sever our reliance on foreign oil.

Our incompentent Commander in Cheif has signed an excutive order, overturning president Bush' order to be able to drill in the ANWR. The reason? They have a penguin up there to protect. Yep. We re finished.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think having two similar car lines is wasteful. It actually allows a manufacturer to offer a broader range of choices while saving money on shared components.

There are no penguins in Alaska.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to tell EnviroWhackos to go Fly a Kite Reply with quote

Quote:
I think it is time for Detroit to...go about building cars PEOPLE want and CAN afford.

The Big Three are still making large SUVs for those who want them. With the exception of the Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Car, large sedans are extinct. (Having just rented a Chrysler 300, I don't consider it full-size). The reason they're not being built anymore is because people didn't want them. If cars don't sell, manufacturers stop making them, and this trend started long before environmentalism was en vogue - in 1961, Ford sold 50,000 more Falcons than Galaxies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: