BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Booklet on Commercial Transport History of Perry,NY Avail.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Booklet on Commercial Transport History of Perry,NY Avail. Reply with quote

I have available, a booklet on the history of commercial transportation serving Perry,NY. While the primary focus is on a small trucking company built by a local man, now deceased, it also covers passenger carrying bus lines that once served Perry and the B&O Railroad's Silver Lake Branch, which took people to and from Rochester as well as make freight deliveries. The name of the Trucking Company was Durfee Motor Express, located in a terminal constructed by Francis Durfee himself. He had up to 25 trucks in his fleet when his operation was at its peak. Company was established in the 1930s, sold to John Gates in 1957. There are photos of this trucking operation, timetables of the bus lines and the railroad that served the community. The trucking terminal, located on Standpipe Road is now the Hole in the Wall Restaurant and a laundromat. When used as intended, it had docks to load up to 10 trucks at a time as well as make truck to truck transfer of freight. If anyone is interested in a copy, please contact me at rangerjim@localnet.com or via private message.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dieseljim -

Rather supports my general observations about the area of years back, as in my reply just posted in thread, On MTA and Budget Cuts...

There were any number of smaller, regional operators, such as Durfee Motor Express. All were valuable interline partners working with long haul,
national motor carriers, freight forwarders, and other cargo haulers. It was simply not practical for a large, national freight system to have daily
trucks into myriad smaller points throughout every State in the respective service areas.

....................Vern................
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Durfee Motor Express Primary Service Area Reply with quote

Frank Durfee's primary service area was Western New York to points such as Buffalo,Rochester, Wellsville and ponts in between, but he also had some Interstate rights as well. I have a photo of one of his trucks taken in Missouri in 1945. In addition to the facilities at the terminal, which he built himself, Frank Durfee did some of the mechanical work on his trucks right down at his garage at home on Walker Road right near the public beach. That garage, long enough to accommodate a tractor trailor outfit of his day, is still standing to this day. I drive by it very often in my local travels. Even as Gates Transport, the company lasted to about 1973 using gasoline powered road tractors while everyone else was converting to diesel power or had gone all diesel by that time. Not too bad for a company begun in the mid 1930s and had reached its peak size at 25 trucks and finished with 7 or 8 in operation, all of them International B model tractors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dieseljim -

Thanks! In the era, there wasn't that much of a penalty one way or the other, in use of gasoline power in shorter, regional operations.
Besides, if an operator went to Diesel, then they needed in house Cummins or Mack mechanics. Else, take it to the nearby dealer shop...

I'll venture we didn't see much in the way of Diesel "city" trucks until we had new engine availability options for under Class 8 applications,
and it had been "trail blazed" by some large fleets. Also, it was in the era that real truckers didn't use Detroit "bus motors" in line power...

Side Note: Do you happen to know of a summary of riders per year on Greyhound operations? It surely was in the firm's Annual Reports.
Jackson has no summary in his work. It goes a long way in explaining the near collapse of rider interest in common carrier, regular route,
scheduled services.

..................Vern..........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: