BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'A Question For You Seasoned Long Islanders'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: 'A Question For You Seasoned Long Islanders' Reply with quote

I was just discussing the old Fifth Avenue double decked coaches in the New York City forum and a couple of questions remain unanswered as to the fate of two of them.

The Southampton Automotive Museum had one in mint condition but they closed down sometime in the sixties or seventies and I'm wondering where that bus went.

There was a rumor that it was moved to Las Vegas or it may be possible that it is now part of the NYC vintage fleet - I don't know?

The other was a rusting derelict that stood on a vacant lot along route 110 in the Farmingdale area - I don't know where that one went either.

Any clues?

In case you're unfamiliar with the model, I have pictured one below.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear West Coast A:

Having lived in Greenlawn, NY for almost 32 years, I guess I can be considered a "seaoned" Long Islander ( or is that an "over-ripe" on ?)

As far as the Southhampton Museum's bus, I have no clue.

I do remember the derelict one on Rte 110 in Farmingdale. I wasn't into buses as a hobby then otherwise I would have taken a picture of it along with HART Fishbowls 101-103.

The Farmingdale bus was parked on the west side of Rte 110 facing north. I seem to think that it backed up to the LIRR Ronkonkoma branch. I haven't seen it there in probably ten years. It was just sitting there, not even used as an advertising billboard. I think it was kept in a masonry yard. The next time I'm in the area, I'll try to pull over and see if I can find out anything about it.

Have a good summer

East Coast Al
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

East Coast Al,

I think it was on the east side of 110 - but that becomes a mute question!

You're right that it was parked up against some tressle, and I do remember that it was pointing north.

This must have been at least twenty five to thirty years ago and, if it were left to stand, all that would have survived by now would have been the brass window frames!

I was just on route 110 only a couple of weeks ago but my mind was on my mother in laws funeral at the time.

Hope your research pans out.

A good summer to you as well.

West coast Al.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WCA - In the words of the late Gilda Radner as "Emilly Latella" SO SORRY!
it is the east side of the road.

ECA
d.marra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess 52 years living on Long Island, 10 of those years in Farmingdale rates me as a very seasoned Long Islander.
Regarding the two ex Fifth Ave Double Decker buses on Long Island.
The one at the Southampton Museum went up in smoke when the old museum caught fire in the late 1960's or early 70's.
The bus that was parked in the back of the old Paccone Stone yard on route 110, went to a scrap yard sometime in the 1980s when the the yard closed and the property was sold.
The Double Deck bus that is part of the NYC Transit Museum, was the only one that operated in charter service on Long Island. Number 2124, was purchased Used, from FACCO by Bornscheuer Bus in Patchouge, who operted a line from Patchouge to Port Jefferson.
The owner of the company either sold or donated it back to the museum.
Hope that answers your questions.

Daniel / aka Mr. Schenck
[/img]
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d.marra,

Bornscheuer must have had a heck of a time keeping 2124 on the road!

In their heyday, Fifth Avenue Coach had no less than 75 mechanics assigned to the 720's and 735's of which there were a couple of hundred both open topped and closed.

The biggest problem was with the 'Banker' transmission, and toward the end (1946 for the open tops and 1953 for the closed tops) parts were impossible to get so FAACO started machining new ones themselves.

They had other problems as well and too numerous to mention - they were nightmares on wheels - but, the pride of the fleet and as much a signature of the Big Apple as is the Empire State Building!

As you can see in the photo of 2124 below, taken on one of its occasional outings, it is being followed very closely by an MTA wrecker!

Photo borrowed for educational purposes only.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d.marra wrote:
I guess 52 years living on Long Island, 10 of those years in Farmingdale rates me as a very seasoned Long Islander.
Regarding the two ex Fifth Ave Double Decker buses on Long Island.
The one at the Southampton Museum went up in smoke when the old museum caught fire in the late 1960's or early 70's.
The bus that was parked in the back of the old Paccone Stone yard on route 110, went to a scrap yard sometime in the 1980s when the the yard closed and the property was sold.
The Double Deck bus that is part of the NYC Transit Museum, was the only one that operated in charter service on Long Island. Number 2124, was purchased Used, from FACCO by Bornscheuer Bus in Patchouge, who operted a line from Patchouge to Port Jefferson.
The owner of the company either sold or donated it back to the museum.
Hope that answers your questions.

Daniel / aka Mr. Schenck
[/img]

if u mean the transit line from Port Jefferson to Patchouge, which is today the S61, that was run by FACCO, or at least thats what i was lead to believe
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To S-60 : While you may be correct, it seems rather odd that a NYC based transit operator, would take on a line-run some 60 miles (or so) away from their nearest depot (77th Street / Northern Blvd) in Jackson Heighjts.

It would seem more logical that they had a financial interest in whomever was the franchised operator of that route.

Based upon an Andrew Grahl photo taken on 7/20/85 of Alert Coach #92, a 35 Foot Fishbowl published in Joe Saitta's 1996 Mega Bus Calendar, Alert had the franchise on that date. Don't know anything about the route before that.
d.marra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Everyone;
I should have explained it better.
The Ex FACCO was purchased used by Bornschueur Bus Company. I think he actually bought two double deckers, and used the second bus for parts only.
Bournschueur operated a few bus routes north and east out of Patchouge. One of his routes, was via Rte 112 to Port Jeff. When the DD Bus was not assigned to a local charter, it was assigned to a morning and/or Cool afternoon line run to Pt. Jeff.
I hope this clears up any mis-understanding.
I need to post a picture, if I can find out how?

Daniel Cool
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
To S-60 : While you may be correct, it seems rather odd that a NYC based transit operator, would take on a line-run some 60 miles (or so) away from their nearest depot (77th Street / Northern Blvd) in Jackson Heighjts.

It would seem more logical that they had a financial interest in whomever was the franchised operator of that route.

Based upon an Andrew Grahl photo taken on 7/20/85 of Alert Coach #92, a 35 Foot Fishbowl published in Joe Saitta's 1996 Mega Bus Calendar, Alert had the franchise on that date. Don't know anything about the route before that.

i must have been thinking of a school bus company that had the same name, that had the S61 or did another route around the same time .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-60 To Smith Haven Mall wrote:
Hart Bus wrote:

i must have been thinking of a school bus company that had the same name, that had the S61 or did another route around the same time .

Could you have been thinking of another small bus operator in the Patchogue area by the name of Louis Fuocco (sp?) since the spelling looks similar upon first glance ?
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall wrote:
Hart Bus wrote:

Could you have been thinking of another small bus operator in the Patchogue area by the name of Louis Fuocco (sp?) since the spelling looks similar upon first glance ?

yeah thats the one i was thinking about. i know they had run a route, i just don't remember what one (or i was told they did)
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d.marra wrote:
I need to post a picture, if I can find out how?

You can e-mail it to me at ripta42@hopetunnel.org or create an account and upload it to the BusTalk Galleries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: