BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shortline Buses and 10- speed trannies.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Shortline Buses and 10- speed trannies. Reply with quote

It has been said that some Shortline buses have 10 speed semi-automatic transmissions. Does that meain the buses so equipped have a stick for manual shifting even there is no clutch pedal?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It physically means that there is no clutch pedal, but after the ICU is released the accelerator pedal is pushed to the floor and bus starts accelerating to the top of 1st gear (which is a very short gear) once the transmission has reached to top of the gear you ease back off the pedal and it shifts to the next highest gear, and so on and so forth. There is no clutch pedal.

But after say fourth gear the tranny will act like a regular automatic

In city traffic and traffic jams some drivers do find it unpleasant because if you don't know how to control the gas pedal smoothly the bus can become very jumpy and bouncy.
metrolinecoach111

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is Shortline's procedure on dropping off at Port Authority, then going to Gray Line's facility in Hoboken?

I'm just curious because when I was walking past the dispatch booth on the 3rd Level, I saw a notice on the door telling all DH drivers to report to Hoboken before their outbound runs.
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metrolinecoach111 wrote:
What is Shortline's procedure on dropping off at Port Authority, then going to Gray Line's facility in Hoboken?

I'm just curious because when I was walking past the dispatch booth on the 3rd Level, I saw a notice on the door telling all DH drivers to report to Hoboken before their outbound runs.

The only runs that drop off in the PA then go to Hoboken, pick up in Darlington, and Oakland, New Jersey. These are called Northern District runs. Since our 39th street lot is already full there is no more room for the Northern District buses so they must park their buses in Hoboken.

Once the buses are parked there, the drivers are free to do whatever they wish and they have between 7 and 9 hours of layover.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: