BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some Bus Lines of The Past

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Some Bus Lines of The Past Reply with quote

Do any of the following Bus Line names ring any bells with anyone? Almeida Bus Lines, Great Eastern Stages, Great Lakes Stages, Colonial Greyhound Lines,Westridge Transportation System, Elmira-Watkins Glen Transit, Shortline System (not Hudson Transit), Mountainview Coach Lines. Edwards Lakes to Sea?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Some Bus Lines of The Past Reply with quote

Dieseljim wrote:
...Shortline System (not Hudson Transit)...

I gather you're not talking about The Short Line of Providence, RI, either.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. J.,

About the only thing I have come up with so far concerns Almeida as follows;

Almeida Bus Company provided service between Hyannis and Boston via Milton, Stoughton, West Bridgewater, Middleboro, Wareham, and Buzzards Bay;

There was a noted court battle in the early sixties between Almeida and the Plymouth and Brockton Street Railway Company of Weymouth, Mass. having to do with franchise rights to certain routes that both campanies serviced.

It would seem as though Plymouth and Brockton won out and is still a viable over the road operation today as indicated in the photo below.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Some Bus Lines of The Past Reply with quote

The Short Line I was referring to was that group of company that formed a Trailways like operation that stretched two thirds the way across the country.
ripta42 wrote:
Dieseljim wrote:
...Shortline System (not Hudson Transit)...

I gather you're not talking about The Short Line of Providence, RI, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dieseljim -

"Edwards Lakes to Sea?" Oh, heavens, yes! They were a vital interline link in the long time running, Washington, DC - Buffalo Through Coach!
A most fascinating piece of interline cooperation...

For many of the years of operation, it was actually: Penna GL - Edwards - Central GL. The Edwards link was essential. Otherwise, and earlier,
the GL joint service route (Penna GL - Central GL) required operation through Scranton! Neither of the Greyhounds could have prevailed on an
ICC Application for an Alternate Route (closed door segment) between Sunbury/ Selinsgrove and Painted Post, NY, via USH-15.

In addition, Edwards held good, short route authority between New York and Cleveland. A somewat bizarre twist on the WAS - BUF through
coach schedules. It used pool assignments. After Edwards aligned with Trailways, then the Eagles appeared on some of the runs...

................Vern..............
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Edwards Lakes To Sea Reply with quote

Vern: I remember those Eagles well. I rode on both models that Edwards had; O1 and O5, which alternated with GMC PD4107 No.33460 which I rode on quite a few times. Some of those Eagles, I believe, had 5 speed Fuller transmissions in them. They were a nice riding bus. I rode them out of Buffalo to Mount Morris when Greyhound had that route as part of the through line to and from Washington. I really miss that route. When Fred Currey came along, that was the beginning of the ruination of Greyhound. The straw that broke the camel's back was buying out Continental Trailways. Now Buffalo to Elmira requires a change in Rochester via Trailways, which now has the ONLY service to and from that area and the Southern Tier.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dieseljim -

Oh, heavens! I'm so old, I recall thru the night trips on Greyhound Scenicruiser coaches on the WAS - BUF runs! You hadda' to have been there
to witness the accounting and taking of the tickets ceremonies, when the PaGL man surrendered the coach to an Edwards man, and over at
Elmira, Edwards to CGL...

WAS - BUF: What's going on with Capitol Twys for this route? I thought they were holding it down.

Bath, NY: Any idea if the former Greyhound Post House remains? I know when I rode WAS - BUF that the coach stopped in town at Bath, at a
local all night restaurant...

Eagles: Sigh! A splendid and valiant effort! They actually far outnumbered the glamor girl, Raymond Loewy Scenicruisers...

................Vern............

Last edited by HwyHaulier on Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Bus Lines of the Past Reply with quote

I got a Scenicruiser on that route once, too. Other than that, Trailways Eagles and that 4107 of Edwards, everything else I rode on on that route was either 4106s or MC5s and near the end, MC8s or MC9s, before the Buffao-Elmira leg was dropped.
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Plymouth and Brockton Reply with quote

I just got their current timetable not too long ago, so it is still a viable carrier as far as I know.
Mr. Linsky wrote:
D. J.,

About the only thing I have come up with so far concerns Almeida as follows;

Almeida Bus Company provided service between Hyannis and Boston via Milton, Stoughton, West Bridgewater, Middleboro, Wareham, and Buzzards Bay;

There was a noted court battle in the early sixties between Almeida and the Plymouth and Brockton Street Railway Company of Weymouth, Mass. having to do with franchise rights to certain routes that both campanies serviced.

It would seem as though Plymouth and Brockton won out and is still a viable over the road operation today as indicated in the photo below.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Mountainview Reply with quote

I cannot recall the reason for this trip, but sometime around 1959 or 1960, Dad brought us on a northbound Mountainview bus trip from New York City, through New Jersey to Newburgh. The bus then drove onto a ferry labeled "New York State Bridge Authority," as I recall. We may have gotten off in Beacon, but then again we may have continued to the terminal in Poughkeepsie. Errors possible, as memory is inexact. Maybe one reason for the trip was to have a riverside thrilling seat on Storm King Highway.
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vern: Elmira to Williamsport is now operated by Susquehanna Trailways in lieu of Capitol Trailways. Elmira to Rochester and Buffalo is New York Trailways. Change of buses is required at Elmira in each direction and Rochester if going to and from Buffalo. In addition I believe you also change at Williamsport for points south as well.
HwyHaulier wrote:
Dieseljim -

Oh, heavens! I'm so old, I recall thru the night trips on Greyhound Scenicruiser coaches on the WAS - BUF runs! You hadda' to have been there
to witness the accounting and taking of the tickets ceremonies, when the PaGL man surrendered the coach to an Edwards man, and over at
Elmira, Edwards to CGL...

WAS - BUF: What's going on with Capitol Twys for this route? I thought they were holding it down.

Bath, NY: Any idea if the former Greyhound Post House remains? I know when I rode WAS - BUF that the coach stopped in town at Bath, at a
local all night restaurant...

Eagles: Sigh! A splendid and valiant effort! They actually far outnumbered the glamor girl, Raymond Loewy Scenicruisers...

................Vern............
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dieseljim -

Thanks for update! Years back, nothing out of the ordinary about the through interline run, WAS - BUF. Surely made for a handy service...

That says it all about much of the problems over the years. Ridership down enough so the run no longer practical...

What of the old Post House at Bath, NY? And idea if structure might remain?

.....................Vern..................
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Post House Restaurant at Bath,NY Reply with quote

I seriously doubt if that structure is still around unless it is operating under another name. However, the Savona Diner in nearby Savona, long a popular stop on that Greyhound route is still very much in business.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dieseljim -

Savona, NY? I wonder if that could be it? Note Yahoo! Maps show it is about seven (7) mles from Bath, NY Center. Greyhound may have used a bit of
license in what they called rest stop points?

Many Thanks for update...

..................Vern.............
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Trailways Rochester-Southern Tier Service Reply with quote

According to the current timetable, the Rochester bus to and from Southern Tier points stopping in Avon,Geneseo,Mount Morris,Dansville,Hornell,Bath, Corning, and Elmira operates through to and from Binghamton, operating nonstop express between Binghamton and Elmira. Current timetable has September 3,2008 and photo of MCI J4500 No.82034 on the front cover. To go to Williamsport, Harrisburg, Baltimore; Change at Elmira, again at Williamsport, and possibly one more time at Harrisburg in each direction. Elmira-Williamsport -Harrisburg segment is on Susquehanna Trailways and Greyhound south of Harrisburg. I cannot help but wonder if Greyhound purposely dried up their Buffalo-Batavia-Elmira route so they could have an excuse to get rid of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: