BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'PHOTOS FROM BROOKLYN NEW YORK'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: 'PHOTOS FROM BROOKLYN NEW YORK' Reply with quote

To begin with, I'm not the greatest photographer and I did have a little help from my daughter in capturing the photos pictured below (you might say that I was the Director!).

All were taken in Brooklyn with most on Atlantic Avenue not far from the East River.

The two RTS's sitting together in the junk yard were snapped at Van Brunt Street in Red Hook (the B61 route), and the Police bus was shot at Coney Island across from Nathan's with the Cyclone in the background.

Interestingly, the guy with the two RTS's collects old New York City vehicles including Police Rescue equipment.

There were three PCC cars wasting away outside the Fairway Market across the street and I got good photos but that's another spread!

Enjoy!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Cyberider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent photos, Mr. Linsky! Thanks for sharing. Mr. Green
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my dear friend Mr L.

From all of us, please thank your director for wanting to accompany you on your bus-fanning excursion.

First, as to you comment about the PCC's near Fairway, they are part of an ill-fated and abandoned attempt by Bob Diamond to start a trolley route from Red Hook into Downtown Brooklyn, If you look at some of the older postings on various subway boards, this topic has been discussed at length and how the city and Mrs. Charles Schumer (Iris Wiishall ) as director of NYC DOT killed it.

Second, as to the first picture of the RTS's. There is / was a spot in Red Hook owned/rented by a movie supply company known as Picture Cars.com that rented buses, taxis, police cars, etc to movie producers. I know they rented the bus to "Sex in the City", where Sarah Jessica Parker gets splashed in the opening credts.....Was this the lot?

Third, as to the 5th picture of the s/b B75. I think that was taken in downtown Brooklyn as you were northbound on Jay Street.

Fourth as to pictures 2 and 4. I think they were taken on Atlantic Avenue, both east of 4 th Avenue. I think # 4 (in front of the Super Wash) is on the corner of Bond Street. I had a client who owned 467 Pacific, right behind the joint.

Looking forward, in a sad sort of way, to the PCC pictures. I think those cars came from Buffalo, NY.

Hart Bus
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are definitely movie buses. They're 96" wide and the signs are obviously fake.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say that the 'Movie Bus' scenario crossed my mind because none of the equipment this guy has is in too bad a condition.

In fact, the two RTS's appear to have just been painted.

I still question the origin of the New Look, and have the distinct feeling that it was never New York City (although I stand corrected).

The pictures taken on Atlantic Avenue in front of the 'Super Wash' are almost directly across from my daughter's store in the 400 block.

I will post the PCC's later and you're right about it being sad!

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised, pictured below are the derelict PCC cars sitting behind the Fairway Market in Red Hook, Brooklyn.

Many thanks to my friend Jeff Marinoff of GMOldLookBus for the story on them as seen below.

The first two cars in the lineup are ex-Boston 'picture window' types in a Brooklyn paint scheme. The third car is the only remaining ex-Shaker Heights from a group of PCC's that were stored at the Brooklyn Navy Yard. The other dozen or so cars were scrapped by the corporation now operating the former government facility. Storage fees and hauling charges had never been paid.

The Shaker Heights car was originally built for the Twin Cities Rapid Transit Co. and is a sister to the ex-Newark, N. J. PCC cars.

The Red Hook trolley scheme was a failed project that never got off the ground. It was very badly managed and the City of New York pulled their hoped for financial support.

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding of what happened from another poster who was down at the site, is a combination of bad planning and misunderstanding.

1 - The loop track was built too close to the edge of a pier and cars couldn't be moved there.

2 - The dea with the city was that if they gave Bob Diamond a certain amount (I believe 300K) he'd raise another 300K privately before he could ask for more money. When Bob blew through the first 300K he asked the city for more. The city wanted to see where his 300K was raised. It wasn't even close, but he argued about the value of his "sweat equity". City replied the was the terms of the deal. So the spigot was turned off.

3 - Rails, ties and other equipment was stored rent free on an adjoining empty lot. When the lot was sold the new owner didn't want the stuff and I don't know how it was removed from the lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: