BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Here's a good trivia question...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Here's a good trivia question... Reply with quote

What does "KJ" stand for in regards to Rockland County's KJ Express?

Answer will be posted on Saturday night when I return from my two day cruise to nowhere on board the Magnificent Carnival Miracle! Very Happy

Yep. I'm a cruise ship and Ocean liner buff too. Razz
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

קרית יואל

(If they transliterated it right, it'd be "KY Express" Shocked)
nycbusfan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripta42 wrote:
קרית יואל

(If they transliterated it right, it'd be "KY Express" Shocked)

In english it would be Krias Joel.

Here is a photo of one of their buses.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nycbusfan wrote:
In english it would be Krias Joel.[/img]

Kiryas Joel (or, more accurately, Kiryas Yoel)
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES!!! Kiryas Joel is correct! KJ Express is owned by Monsey Tours, which also owns Monroe Bus. Kiryas Joel is a small town in lower Orange county New York that is a smaller suburb of Central Valley that is highly orthodox jewish community.

Very good! nycbusfan..nice pix..that is one of the new buses purchased for them by Orange County. You should have seen what they were running before the O/C purchases..I'm talking MC-9s, MC-8s. MC9 Crusaders. They would have run them till the wheels fell off. In the meantime, the bus companies owners are extremely rich. do you see how that works? Little to no pay for the drivers? Running Smithsonian aged buses, and filty rich owners.

I noticed in my first post, I mentioned KJ is in Rockland county. That is not correct. KJ is in Orange county.
nycbusfan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortlineMCI wrote:
YES!!! Kiryas Joel is correct! KJ Express is owned by Monsey Tours, which also owns Monroe Bus. Kiryas Joel is a small town in lower Orange county New York that is a smaller suburb of Central Valley that is highly orthodox jewish community.

Very good! nycbusfan..nice pix..that is one of the new buses purchased for them by Orange County. You should have seen what they were running before the O/C purchases..I'm talking MC-9s, MC-8s. MC9 Crusaders. They would have run them till the wheels fell off. In the meantime, the bus companies owners are extremely rich. do you see how that works? Little to no pay for the drivers? Running Smithsonian aged buses, and filty rich owners.

I noticed in my first post, I mentioned KJ is in Rockland county. That is not correct. KJ is in Orange county.

Monsey and Monroe still have some buses that are over 20 years old.

Here is a photo of Monsey Trails 605 a 1984 MCI MC-9.
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing LOL! Yep! That what makes up the bulk of their (Monroe, Monsey, and KJ Express) fleet.

Sad looking things. The drivers have to deal with the School bus style pull handles to get the front doors closed.

Three (maybe two) of the MC-8's still have stick shifts. C'mon Rabbi's!! Give them up already. NIMCO is calling!!!!
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Stick Shift Buses Reply with quote

Capitol Trailways of Pennsylvania was running at least one stickshift MC9 as late as 2003, when I saw it in Harrisburg enroute to or from Baltimore. It may have been the last MC9 still running in full Capitol livery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiryas Joel is an incorporated village, not a town. Generally speaking, in New York State, towns are contiguous subdivisions within counties, as Nassau has 3 towns, Suffolk has 10, and Orange has 20. Villages are incorporated by demand, often for the purpose of more strictly controlling what happens inside their borders. Most New York villages are surrounded by a town. I am quite sure that a NY village resident pays village property taxes, some town taxes, and some county taxes.
Link to Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiryas_Joel[url]
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
Kiryas Joel is an incorporated village, not a town. Generally speaking, in New York State, towns are contiguous subdivisions within counties, as Nassau has 3 towns, Suffolk has 10, and Orange has 20.

Aw c'mon..now your splitting hairs Very Happy

But now that you got me started..................

The jews that live there actually got the local post office to open up on sunday to accomodate the Sabbath. Can you believe? I don't know what the post office does on Saturday though. A post office that's opened 7 days a week?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: