BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Important - NYS Bus Inspection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Important - NYS Bus Inspection Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,
This is Ken's wife, Debbie and we need to find the name, address, and phone number of a place that will inspect our new bus. Also, please tell us the amount it would be? We would like a place in or near Rockland County. Can someone tell us this information?

Thank you,
Debra Rubin
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any shop that does Heavy Equiptment Inspections for a regular inspection. If you need a NYSDOT Inspection I wish you the best of luck as that has to be set up. Don't ask me how, I don't know the process.
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs. Rubin,

I think that the only time that NYSDOT would become involved is if the bus will be used to carry paying passengers.

Otherwise, it would be considered to be a very large passenger car!

I would look up a local Motor Home service station that would have the facilities to handle vehicles the size of transit buses.

As far as requirements, it will almost certainly have to meet the usual inspection criterion including front end, emissions, tires, windshield wipers and so on.

As far as cost goes, I can assure you that it won't be cheap! (probably in the hundreds if nothing is radically wrong) although there may be State guidelines capping such charges for the size of the vehicle.

In any event, good luck and happy motoring!

Mr.Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mrs. R.

While I am a bus fan, but not a driver or owner, what thought popped into my mind was "call a local bus company and ask them". Or perhaps go to their office or yard and ask someone.

Isn't Monsey in Rockland? Monsey Tours has a large fleet, maybe they'll help you out, but wait until Monday, since they are probably Sabbath observers.

Perhaps check with DMV in Albany to see what is needed. Many years ago the father of one of my son's classmate, bought a used fishbowl in order to charter it to church groups and to bachelor parties. He was able to get NYS "camper" (probably for motor home) plates. He was hoping that he wouldn't be caught on a run by the cops. He eventually sold the bus due to the cost of repairs.

Regards,

Alan Aron a/k/a Hart Bus
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warm thank you to all. I was looking through the posts to see what I might have missed and happened across this one.

Mr. Linsky, I am very happy to report that the NYS inspection for the heavy commercial vehicle is a relieving 45 dollars, and believe me Debbie and I had a great deal of pressure relieved! Wink

We did find a big facility here in the county and were very helpful to us.

Again thank you to all. What an extremely informative source of information to be had here.

Oh yes.. Mr. Linsky.. the front seat is waiting for you.

Ken
RailBus63

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, Ken. Glad to hear that the first steps in your journey are going well.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,

Glad things worked out for you.

As I said, if I could get away with it I'd have one of those classics myself!

Wear it in good health - and keep that front seat ready!

Mr. 'L'
Q101 EAST MIDTOWN 2 AV

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, if you don't mind me calling you that, if I may ask, what is the purpose of you and Debbie owning a bus? Do you plan on starting a bus company?
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q101, I don't mind at all. We intended on running light charter work on weekends, hosting family get togethers, perhaps instead of taking 5 or 6 cars, let's all hop in the bus and get going, and maybe a fan trip here and there.

I'd prefer not to go to the hot spots in the state of NJ with it. NJ is a money state and will give tickets for the most obscure laws that only the lawmen know about. Anyway, enough rambling about that one...

The main reason is that the NYBS classic is a part of my own childhood and I also feel that bus might have some antique value, not a money value but I know there is an interest in that style. Finally I really didn't want that bus to get caught up being shredded.

Hope that was helpful!

Ken
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,

It's the light charter work that would get you into problems even in New York State unless you were properly licensed, inspected (by the PSC) and insured for such operation.

On the other hand, if your intention is or was to just take friends for a ride (ala a bus fan trip) with no charges and you are licensed, insured (in excess of nine passengers) and inspected under 'passenger car' statutes, I see no violations whatsoever.

However, I speak of the Vehicle and Traffic Law (NYS) as it was many years ago and it may be entirely different today - so I would check very carefully as to what your options may now be.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. L everything you said is entirely correct. As it stands now, the way my insurance is set up is I can fill every seat on that bus, however, I cannot use it as a business and no one can charter me out. When I get the bus to where I want it as far as mechanically speaking, then I will bump up the insurance so I can be chartered out.

But now, at the present, If I said we're going to Bumblescrew New Hampshire, who's coming with me, then everyone on that bus is fully insured, if someone hits the bus and someone gets hurt, they will be insured.

Also, Mr. L..I did get your PM and I will respond, I've just been getting home very late Wink
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Canada Coach Lines buses with New York State Stickers Reply with quote

When I rode Canada Coach Lines 'fishbowls' and the TDM4515s, too, I noticed that each and every one of these buses had a New York State PSC inspection sticker on the windshield. Could it be that CCL had most of their inspections done in Buffalo, location of their southern terminal?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. J.,

Any passenger carrying vehicle in revenue service with a capacity of over nine persons operating within the State of New York as part of a regularly assigned route must pass a Public Service Commission inspection which must take place within the state.

I would suppose that special inspection locations were assigned for buses from other jurisdictions.

However, bear in mind that what I have recited applied 50 years ago and I am uncertain as to what rules may have changed since then.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY operator
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: