BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'ONE GREEN LINE (NY) OLD LOOK FOUND'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: 'ONE GREEN LINE (NY) OLD LOOK FOUND' Reply with quote

I received the below information from Mike Ondecker of the Ohio Museum of Transportation regarding the fate of the seven Green Line TDH 4512's that went to form the Kent State University Campus Bus Service back in 1967.

While he says that the one remaining bus (our # 104) still exists, it might not even be worth seeing.

Personally, just the fact that one Green Line 'Old Look' still exists at all (in any condition) is beyond belief.

Anyway, anybody in the area that might want to take a gander (and some pictures) to share would be greatly appreciated.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Reference your posting of October 1 on the above-captioned
subject, there is only a single 4512 from the group of seven
Green Bus Line coaches left, which were the original KSU fleet.

This bus is the KSU 1745, which had been GBL 104 originally,
serial #551, delivered in 6/54.

This bus currently resides at Arlington Auto Wrecking on North
Arlington Street (and the CSX tracks) in Akron, OH.

The bus is in very rough shape with no power pack, and loaded with salvage yard merchandise. There might be some parts to be had, but it
is not worth a long trip especially to see it. If anyone is in the area, the yard owner is friendly, as long as you stop in the yard office to get permission. The buses (another KSU 4512 and KSU Fishbowl are also there) are toward the front.

Unless you must have an old-look fix before leaving the Akron area, it is not a pretty picture. Unless someone has info of other Green Line (KSU) coaches resting somewhere, the 1745 is the last hurrah of the original Campus Bus Line fleet.

I will gladly stand corrected if another one is out there. The fleet and serial numbers were verified first-hand by old-look record keeper Tom Kane on his last trip through here, and the bus still sits there as of last week.

Best Regards -

Michael Ondecker, Ohio Museum of Transportation

MarkW

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if anyone is willing to buy it and ship it to NYC, I know a parts donor that is available.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

I didn't realize it but I already had a picture in my photo file (see below).

I don't know when the picture was taken, but I would say that if the bus isn't in much worse shape now it might be restorable - I would have to leave that decision to the experts.

I'm going to email the Arlington Wreckers a copy of the photo to see if what's left now remotely resembles it and whether it's for sale.

Beyond that, I don't know because I'm sure that a restoration would run into a hundred thousand dollars or more and that's tough to get money right now!

And, I'd have to make the bus livable because if I were to bring it home my wife would finally throw me out altogether!

We'll have to take this one step at a time and see what the possibilities are.

Wouldn't it be great if it were completely restored to its original Green Line apple green and cream livery and its cheerful off pink interior to spend the rest of its life as part of the MTA Museum fleet?

Don't wake me up from this dream!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: