BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bus 3100

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henry Gray

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Bus 3100 Reply with quote

Dear All Bus Enthusiasts,

It's me again, and I have some inquiries about GMC's first air-conditioned transit bus, number 3100. I know it is presently a part of the New York City Transit Museum, I saw it last year in Downtown Brooklyn, but I have seen pictures of it in a book called 'New York City Transit Buses' when it first came out in 1956. The a/c unit on back was much smaller that it was at this present time. I was checking out pictures of buses on another web site, and there was a picture of 3100 in two-tone green MABSTOA/TA colors (3/70), and it was also in blue with a NYPD shield decal (9/82). In both those pictures, 3100 did not have an a/c unit in the back. However, it was restored to what it looks like at present in a 5/83 picture, with the present a/c unit on it now. Could someone pretty please give me a detailed history of bus 3100? From the pictures that I've seen of it, it's been through a lot.

Thanks a lot and GOD bless,
Henry Gray
Q65A

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The post from which the following was excerpted is on this site in the New York City Buses section, page 3 (Historical Buses of NYC: GM 40-Foot Old Looks, Part 3); the info is not encyclopedic, but I hope that you find it interesting:

"The PBL’s in Manhattan and The Bronx waited a few years before buying their fleets of 5106’s. FACCO made history in 1958 by purchasing a single TDH-5106 (serial number 919) built in 1956 as a demonstrator for GMC Truck & Coach Division. Numbered FACCO 3100, the unit was GM’s first air-conditioned transit coach. According to NYCT’s publication The Vintage Bus Fleet, “It has other features first introduced in the 1950’s: a push-type rear exit door, wraparound seating in the rear portion, soft seating and fluorescent lighting.” Shortly thereafter, additional orders were placed by Surface Transit and FACCO. ST #’s 3020-3059 and FACCO #’s 2645-2694 were built to identical specifications; this is not surprising given that FACCO had purchased Surface Transportation in December 1956 (renaming the line “Surface Transit Inc.”). Built in July 1959, these buses were equipped with push-type exit doors and fluorescent front destination signs that bulged noticeably. They were NYC’s (and GM’s) last TDH-5106’s built. They ran in The Bronx and Manhattan until they were withdrawn from service in the mid 1960’s. In 1969, 85 of the former MaBSTOA units were transferred to the Brooklyn Division to alleviate temporarily a bus shortage caused in that year by the abandonment of the BMT Myrtle Avenue Line west of Broadway. NYCTA by far had the largest fleet of 5106’s in the area, buying 330 units in two big orders: NYCTA #’s 7000-7208 were built in October-November 1957, while NYCTA #’s 9000-9120 were built in August-September 1958. These buses were equipped with large pantograph-style windshield wipers (5106’s bought by the PBL’s had conventional wipers). They pioneered two design features that soon would become common on NYC transit buses: push-type exit doors (with brake interlocks) and hard molded seats (in pink on the 5106’s). The 5106’s ordered by the PBL’s usually were equipped with 4-leaf “jackknife” entrance and exit doors, and many had soft, upholstered seats. NYCT’s 5106’s had 2-and-2 seating ahead of the rear exit door and longitudinal seating aft of it. NYCT #’s 9000-9021 lacked the 2-and-2 seating, and had longitudinal seats only. These units originally were assigned to the B39. The 7000 series had conventional paired windows with standard vertically-sliding window sashes. Interiors were baby blue, and exterior surfaces were painted in the standard BOT silver over green livery. NYCT 7000 was specially painted in an all-gold color scheme in 1957 for a Fifth Avenue celebration. More than half of the 209-unit fleet of the 7000 series was assigned to both Flushing and Jamaica Depots, while the remaining buses went to Manhattan. The 9000 series used special horizontally-sliding sashes. Interiors also were baby blue, but exteriors were painted in a new light green over dark green color scheme. They originally had gold numbers which later became light green. They initially were assigned to Brooklyn’s Crosstown Depot, but in later years they were reassigned to the Fifth Avenue and Castleton Depots. Many of NYCT’s 5106’s operated long enough to receive radio equipment (in the process receiving boxy fiberglass hoods to protect rooftop mounted antennae). They were replaced by New Looks in 1971-1972. The DOB has preserved 3 TDH-5106’s in the Vintage Bus Fleet: FACCO 3100, NYCT 7144, and NYCT 9098. When not on display, FACCO 3100 normally is stored at QV, while NYCT 7144 and 9098 normally are stored at MV."
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H. G.,

I think Q65A is right on the money with his story of FACCO's # 3100.

However, #3100 was not the only air conditioned demonstrator of the 'Old Look' era to see service with the company.

Pictured below, and right out of GM Engineering where it had orginally been used in the development of air-suspension, is #3200 - a model TDH 5105-EXP 305 sporting a later installed experimental Frigidaire cooling system.

Of note is the fact that the standard ThermoMatic air intake over the destination sign has been blocked and replaced with an intake under the passenger windows.

Because of width limitations, #3200's stay in New York was short lived and eventually found a permanent home with New Orleans Public Service.

Interestingly, the two tone green color scheme was adopted by D.C. Transit and was first seen on an order of 67 air conditioned 5105's in 1958.

Mr. Linsky, Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: