BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Book on Historical Buses and Streetcars of Buffalo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Upstate New York Surface Transit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: New Book on Historical Buses and Streetcars of Buffalo Reply with quote

There is a new book about Buffalo's historical buses and streetcars available from Amazon available for those of you, who, like me, are interested in the transit system that has served Buffalo and the Niagara Frontier so well over the years. It is also a treat for you Mack lovers. I rode both styles of Mack C49DTs while NFT had them. 6200s were the last of the old look style Macks while the 6300 series New Look Macks were NFT's last order for Macks before Mack quit the business. I am ordering it and highly reccommend this book.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Cyberider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up, Dieseljim. Here is the link for those interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Buffalos-Historic-Streetcars-Images-America/dp/0738557501/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217426561&sr=8-1

I'll probably add this to my library. I've got quite a few other books in this same series. The format is small but still lots of photos and info for a reasonable cost.
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my copy recently and it is packed with a lot of useful information, some of which I never even knew about the NFT as it was before it became NFT Metrobus in 1974.In addition to the ten GMC TDH5302s that Buffalo Transit Company received in 1960, that company also had an order for 20 model TDH5301s configured to seat 55 passengers (versus 49 in the NFT 7400s), which would have made them the only single door "muzzle loaders" in Buffalo, other than Grand Island Transit's SDM4501s 66,68,72 and 74. Evidently the order was cancelled and NFT took it over and the buses were added to the 7400 series 7470-7489 and build the same as the other 7400s.Since NFT, like most properties, had the cracking problem with the large piece of rear window glass on the 7400s, they remedied that by means of a six inch wide metal strip down the center of the rear window of most of the buses in this group,reinforced by rubber gaskets. A few, such as 7437 and 7453 to name two, retained that big piece of glass on their rear windows. All subsequent "new look" orders came with the four piece rear window from 7500 on up to the last bus, 7794. The numbers 7550-7599 were vacant and not used.
Cyberider wrote:
Thanks for the heads up, Dieseljim. Here is the link for those interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Buffalos-Historic-Streetcars-Images-America/dp/0738557501/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217426561&sr=8-1

I'll probably add this to my library. I've got quite a few other books in this same series. The format is small but still lots of photos and info for a reasonable cost.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Upstate New York Surface Transit All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: