BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

.....and leave the driving to us......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
I guess you wouldn't call these buses, but they were indeed designed for airport service...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checker_Aerobus

I can remember seeing these "stretch Checkers" at Newark (EWR) airport, many years ago, and, often in Manhattan.

Just think of the thousands of "Checker" cabs that once roamed the streets of New York, so many years ago, for so long; through the mid-60's, NYC cabs would be seen in every color of the rainbow.

It's all so long ago, now....

"NYO"

["CHECKER"]
Tiny Tim

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Tiny Tim wrote:

I saw this when I was at twa running a planemate.

I always wanted to drive one of those Planemates.... Cool

Were you employed by TWA, or some contractor like Triangle Services?

As far as I know, the Port Authority kept some of those for emergency aircraft evacuations. The only ones that were still using them was Delta, the last time I looked, at JFK.
I worked for Hudson general. We had the contract for the airline connection bus and long term buses. Got the contract with twa for the planemate. Pulled plenty of overtime on them as I was a full in on the mates.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiny Tim:

That had to have been a VERY interesting job, for sure!

If I many ask, had did you get into this position(s)?

"NYO"
Tiny Tim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Tiny Tim:

"NYO"
the planemate was more or less being in the right place when they needed people. It was in addition to my runs at lagurdia. I applied originally for the buses and started on the American employees bus at JFK and the employees buses at lagurdia. Moved over to the airline connection busses and got on to the mates.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiny Tim:

Sure sounds interesting; I am sure it was seldom a dull position! Wink

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiny Tim wrote:
Tiny Tim:

"NYO"
the planemate was more or less being in the right place when they needed people. It was in addition to my runs at lagurdia. I applied originally for the buses and started on the American employees bus at JFK and the employees buses at lagurdia. Moved over to the airline connection busses and got on to the mates.

Tiny Tim --
I sent you a PM (Private Message)....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

After looking at assorted vintage photos in John Dockendorf's "GREYHOUND IN POSTCARDS", I noticed in a number of the older (1940's/early 1950's-era) cards, one type of non-GM/YELLOW bus would dominate the stations.

For example, one view of the depot at Cartersville, Georgia, depicts only ACF-BRILL IC-41's.

Another card depicts the station at Kingdom City, Missouri; here, only AEROCOACHES are to be seen.

Then there are station views where FLXIBLE Clippers are intermixed with YELLOW PD/PG-types, SILVERSIDES, and 743's.

Pre-SCENICRUISER, I wonder if a certain make of bus more or less dominated any given division.

As always, greatly appreciate your input...........

"NYO"

["SECOND SECTION"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Division diversity: 'SWG' "

From the 1940's and into the 1950's, "SWG" operated a diverse fleet of coaches.

Between 1941 and 1945, "SWG" took delivery of nearly 70 AEROCOACHES.

In 1943, "SWG" purchased 325 YELLOWS of three models, which were only built that year:

95 PD-3301s

179 PDA-3701s

51 PGA-3701s

In 1936, "SWG" received 35 719s, and 90 743s between 1937 and 1939

Beginning in 1947, "SWG" began adding ACF-BRILL IC-41s to the fleet; eventually, there was a total of 15 of these coaches in service.

By 1950, "SWG" had 25 PD-4101s in service.

Beginning in 1954, both the 4104 and the SCENICRUISER began appearing in the "SWG" fleet.

"SWG" had 86 'cruisers, plus three transferred from "CGL" (CENTRAL GREYHOUND LINES").....................

"NYO"

["CHICAGO"]

(Source: "MOTOR COACH AGE", March-April 1993)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further:

.......it is interesting to remember that, after the ACF-BRILL IC-41's began arriving in the late 1940's, it also signaled the end of the days when GREYHOUND purchased new buses from several different builders.

As the 1950's progressed, the GREYHOUND fleet, more and more, became one that was dominated by GM-built buses; then, by the mid-later 1960's, GREYHOUND began moving away from GM, opting now for MCI coaches.

Just as the earlier "SCENICRUISER" and 4104 had become "standard" buses in the fleet, between about 1961 and 1964, GREYHOUND took delivery of some 1,000-odd 4106s.

The iconic "Buffalo", of course, was the last type of GM bus purchased by GREYHOUND.

In 1966, over 160 PD-4107s were delivered to various GREYHOUND divisions; in 1967, more than 200 4107s entered service, the very last highway coaches the company purchased from GM.

Indeed, a long and colorful era had ended............

"NYO"

["4849"]
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

After looking at assorted vintage photos in John Dockendorf's "GREYHOUND IN POSTCARDS", I noticed in a number of the older (1940's/early 1950's-era) cards, one type of non-GM/YELLOW bus would dominate the stations.

For example, one view of the depot at Cartersville, Georgia, depicts only ACF-BRILL IC-41's.

Another card depicts the station at Kingdom City, Missouri; here, only AEROCOACHES are to be seen.

Then there are station views where FLXIBLE Clippers are intermixed with YELLOW PD/PG-types, SILVERSIDES, and 743's.

Pre-SCENICRUISER, I wonder if a certain make of bus more or less dominated any given division.

As always, greatly appreciate your input...........

"NYO"

["SECOND SECTION"]

As you mentioned, Greyhound and Yellow/GMC were almost synonymous for many decades. During WWII, Greyhound had to take whatever they could get, due to restrictions, so ended up with a smattering of "oddballs". Once postwar production caught up to demand, they quickly got rid of much of them.

Your library of Motor Coach Age, makes you more knowledgeable than myself on how many and where...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

I only have a few well-worn issues of "MOTOR COACH AGE" in my bus library; it is through them that I've learned much I would not have been able to learn, otherwise.

With "STRAYHOUND"long since gone from the 'net, it is quite difficult to find out many aspects of GREYHOUND history.

For instance, when did GREYHOUND retire their last non-GM coaches?

I'm guessing that with the arrival of the SCENICRUISERS and the 4104's in the mid-50's, that GREYHOUND began to retire its odfer coaches (AEROCOACH/FLXIBLE/BRILL, etc.)

I would also wager that, by the mid-1960's, most of the older buses were retired when the 4106s began arriving.

Then again, look at how long some of the venerable "SILVERSIDES" lasted in regular service! Wink

"NYO"

["CHICAGO EXPRESS"]
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO --

I am guessing, you have seen this? Certainly far from complete, but it may be somewhat helpful....

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Greyhound_USA_retired_bus_fleet
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

I had not known about this page; rest assured, I will be delving into it later on today, with MUCH interest......THANK YOU for posting the link here! Wink

As you and I both know, after their GREYHOUND days were over, many former "hounds" avoided the torch by being re-sold for further use to other companies.

These were smaller bus companies, charter outfits, church/school groups, etc.

Until as recently as the mid-1990's, there were two "SILVERSIDES"sitting side-by-side behind a gas station on Route #4 in Ridgefield (NJ).

One was painted red and white, the other blue and white.

I recall those buses were there for years; at least, from a distance, they looked to be in pretty decent shape.

Of course, both buses are, today, long gone (as is the old service station); most likely, these old "Highway Warriors" had rolled out their last miles in charter service.

In fact, as a kid, Your's Truly recalls seeing "SILVERSIDES" being used as charter buses; these big hulksters were always faves of mine!Very Happy

Here was another classic "Hound" that was replicated in toy form for years (and, of course, I have a number in my collection!) Wink

"NYO"

["BOSTON"]

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you Google buses for sale, you can come across quite a few old coaches including Silversides, converted into motorhomes. Some are radically altered, making them almost unrecognizable, other's look almost pristine.

My very first intercity bus trip was as an 8 year old, in 1955 aboard a Trailways of New England PD-4103 from the PABT to Worcester, MA. I was "hooked for life" after intently observing the driver all the way... Wink

My first trip in a Silversides, PD-4151, was on a third grade field trip to the American Museum of Natural History that same year on a Singerman Bus Co. charter.

And my first trip in a Yellow 743 Supercoach, was in 1960!! on a JHS 3 day tour to Washington, DC. They rolled out that antique, after the first bus they sent, a 4103, was found to have an expired insurance certificate. I can't recall the company that owned them, but what an antique in 1960...over 20 years old.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

A VERY lucky young lad, indeed! Very Happy

Talk about "living history"! Wink

OLDEST buses Your's Truly rode on as a youngster (many eons ago!) were the rolling museum pieces then operated by the local Hudson County-area "indy" companies.

You not only had Old looks with square windows and paired windows, you had assorted MACKS and WHITES, not to mention FITZJOHNS, prewar ACF's, and even some prewar "slant back" TWINS (NO WONDER I was so infatuated by buses at such a tender age!) Very Happy

These antiques began to disappear in the mid-60's, and, by 1970, only GM was represented, manufacturer-wise.

I have LONG hated the classic highway coaches converted into mobile homes, etc., which are so heavily customized that they are, as you said, virtually unrecognizeable...........DESECRATION! Evil or Very Mad

I've read of a dedicated Dutch GREYHOUND enthusiast who, awhile back, had at least one SILVERSIDES that he was restoring; a STRANGE sight indeed, amongst the windmills, tulips, and canals! Wink

At least he was restoring the bus to its original GREYHOUND appearance! Very Happy

"NYO"

*PS:

*(See my postings (including link w/photos) on the 60th anniversary of the closing of the Newburh-Beacon Ferry, in the "SI Ferry" thread, as well as other comments/links on other bygone NYC-area ferries)

["GO GREYHOUND!"]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 67 of 73

Jump to: