BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Primer in Old NFT Destination Signs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Upstate New York Surface Transit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: A Primer in Old NFT Destination Signs Reply with quote

I thought I would share my knowledge of how NFT arranged its destination signs and what they meant to the rider as I rode the system alot before the Metro takeover in 1974. We'll use the 8-Main Williamsville-North Bailey Meadows route (ex Buffalo Transit) for our primer.
DESTINATION SIGNS. A trips on this route are designated by the number 8.
ROUTE LETTERS; Each variation in routing is designated by a different letter.
A-Via Main Street to Destination Indicated.
B-Via Main,Bailey,Eggert, Main to Destination Indicated.
C-Via Main, Bailey,Sheridan,Sweethom,Eggert,Main to Destination indicated
D-Via Main,Bailey,Emerson,Sweethome,Eggert,Main to Destination Indicated.
F with red slash: Via Thruway between Transit and Wehrle and Downtown:
Inbound: From Transit and Wehrle via Transit, Main, Thruway, Elm Street Exit,Swan, north on Main.
H with red slash: Via Thruway between Main and Kenmore and downtown:
Inbound: Operates outbound on Main Street from Windermere Loop via Kenmore,Main to Thruway,thence via Thruway,Elm Street Exit,Swan and North on Main.
Outbound from Main and Goodell: via Main,Seneca,Washington,Thruway,Main Street Exist, Main to Main and Kenmore.
Since then, the suburban portion of this ex BTC route has become 48-Williamsville and one major branch, 49-Hopkins. Windermere Loop, which dated back to streetcar days is now gone. Taking its place are a loop at South Campus Light Rail Station on the UB campus and a loop at Main and Bailey. All the above type of information is no longer used in NFTA Metrobus timetables. The conveyence of the information riders of this or any other NFTA route has been greatly simplified since the 1990s.However, the old Niagara Frontier Transit System,Incorporated was far more market oriented than many other transit companies its size and I did get to know a few drivers, though not necessarily by name, but I do remember one who was almost a dead ringer for actor George Kennedy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Upstate New York Surface Transit All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: