BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions You Always Wanted To Ask Your Bus Operator
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Employee Discussion, Information, & Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q65A

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Questions You Always Wanted To Ask Your Bus Operator Reply with quote

Personally I always liked this topic at BTN. While a lot of different subjects were covered, I suspect that there will always be new questions, especially as new members join BT3.

Here are my kickoff questions:
While at the MTAB Roadeo, I was sitting behind the wheel of MTAB 3638 (a brand new HEV) and I had the chance to get a close look at the B/O's side of the electronic farebox. Certainly, this device is a lot more sophisticated than the old time farebox installed on TCC 621 (a 1979 Fishbowl), and it also has two keypads plus a large decal instructing the B/O about the function of each key.
Questions:
1.) Key "1" says "Issue Transfer", while key "F1" says "Dispense Transfer"; does the B/O need to press both keys to issue a transfer?
2.) Key "9" says "Adult Full Fare", while key "F6" says "Dump"; do these keys do the same thing?
3.) Key "0" says "Hold Coins"; when would this key be used?
Cyberider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have all kinds of questions when I was a kid. Like why does the wheel go round and round on the farebox and why does it make that funny clicking noise, why does the buzzer come on when the air pressure drops below 60 PSI, how fast will this bus go, etc. Now my biggest question for bus drivers is how they stand to deal with some of the people they have to deal with these days?
The Don of All Buses

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked the Bee-Line B/Os how they started the bus considering the fact that they don't use keys, but they never told me Shocked
a month later I understood why. I overheard a B/O and a passenger talking about a kid trying to steal a bus, but got caught.
pc2871

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a much greater chance of getting caught stealing a bus than you do stealing a vette.
DEVILBUS65

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Keys Reply with quote

1.) Key "1" says "Issue Transfer", while key "F1" says "Dispense Transfer"; does the B/O need to press both keys to issue a transfer?
No. Either one will work.
2.) Key "9" says "Adult Full Fare", while key "F6" says "Dump"; do these keys do the same thing?
Dump will clear any information from a fare as well as Dump coins.
Adult full fare isn't needed because the default fare set is a full one. Only a senior citizen fare with coins requires a fare selection as does a School fare on an Express bus.
3.) Key "0" says "Hold Coins"; when would this key be used?
This key is used to hold coins in the farebox if the full fare is not been reached yet. This way if the customer is still looking for change, the balance will not dump and a full fare will register when the correct amount is inserted.This also applies to a short fare on a Metrocard. Coins can be used to make up the difference but most customers are surprised to learn their balance is not sufficient requiring more time to locate coinage.Also it only holds coins for 60 seconds or so,then it automatically dumps if not repressed..
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberider wrote:
I used to have all kinds of questions when I was a kid. Like why does the wheel go round and round on the farebox and why does it make that funny clicking noise, why does the buzzer come on when the air pressure drops below 60 PSI, how fast will this bus go, etc. Now my biggest question for bus drivers is how they stand to deal with some of the people they have to deal with these days?

Dave,

Here's how I would have answered the questions of a little boy filled with wonder just as I know I was at that age;

As far as the fare box goes, if it were an electrified Johnson Model 'D' such as what New York City used and which was pretty standard across the country until the sixties, the turning of the wheel on the side of the machine was geared to drive the internal disc that counted the coins before they were dropped to the bin below.

The clicking noise signalled that a coin had been ground through the counter.

The low air buzzer alerted the driver to the fact that continued operation or any operation at all under this condition could be dangerous.

The top speed of any bus was determined by the setting of the governor which, in the case of the buses that I drove for Green Line (NY), was 45 MPH.

I can't answer the last question because I never had to deal with the kind of people that ride buses today!

Mr.Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
rts0386

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know if there is a website that you can go to and find mta badge holders? i don't live in ny and these things don't exist outside ny!
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rts0386,

As part of the unofficial welcoming committee here at BusTalk.info, let me do just that and say that we look forward to your valued input.

Apparently, you are not the first to seek MTA Badge Holders as evidenced below in a note to BusTalk.net from a member of that site back in 2002.

I think your only chance at all would be to watch the appropriate headings on ebay and you may eventually luck out!

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Mr. L:insky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

NYCTA or "M" Badge Holders
Posted by Local Downtown on Tue Oct 1 18:25:44 2002

Before I begin..let me again thank those who have helped me in the past get patches for my collection that of course are unavailiable here in the Midwest where I live. Over the past few years, I have collected a number of the modern badges that the New York City Subway Conductors or Surface Transit Drivers wear on their uniform sleeve. It looks like that it is a leather type holder that holds the badge in place while it is being worn. I would prefer to have them in my display case with a backing; and the holder is the answer I'm looking for!
I'll pay for the items, and I'll need around 4 of them. Can anyone out there help? Those of you who work for the MTA on Bus or Rapid Transit Divisions pretty much know exactly what I'm looking for. Hope you can help...and God Bless! :^)

From The South Shores Of Lake Michigan,Southeast Of Chicago...God Bless America & New York City! William C. Mitchell
rts0386

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks mr.linsky.. can i also ask did the other carriers in ny (green lines, queens surface) also wear badges and if so were they on a hat or sleeve like mta.. now a bit off that subject how do operators get their work (or run) do they pick it or are ther assigned it and is it by day,month or the year? and is most of the work straight pieces or split shifts? thanks
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rts0386,

Good Question for which you have come to the right person to answer! (at least for Green Bus Lines).

Pictured below is the last issue of the hat badges worn by all Green Line drivers.

The badges that we wore in my time were also hat type and pictured a pre-war Mack model 'CT' in the center and did not have numbers.

As far as the other PBL's including Jamaica, Triboro and Queens Surface go, I am uncertain as to what type of badge they wore.

BTW; I have badge # 5146 that I picked up on ebay only recently and there may be more available.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Photobucket
rts0386

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awsome pic mr.Linsky i'll have 2 keep my eyes open ....and as far as op work goes (the second part of the ?)
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rts0386,

Sorry I missed the last part of your question.

At Green Line (at least, in my day) there were two picks per year - a summer pick and a winter pick (the summer pick was basically to work around vacations and the fact that school runs were shut down during July and August).

There were always split shifts which were usually left to the lower seniority drivers - but there were veterans that also liked split shifts so they could be home during mid-day.

I would say that the percentage of straight shift drivers as opposed to splits was about three to one in favor of straight shift.

The veteran drivers with years of seniority always had the choice picks and always picked their usual runs which never opened until they either retired or were promoted to supervisors.

Hope that helps you.

The Don of All Buses

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do bus operators carry a badge? FREEZE!! I'M A BUS DRIVER!! Laughing
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

Sorry, I missed that question altogther!

I don't think many if any bus drivers have ever been mistaken for police officers but I guess it's possible (if the felon has had enough to drink!).

Most bus drivers either wear their badges clipped to the shoulder as they do in Los Angeles and New York City, or on their hats as they do most everywhere else and they are for identification only.

I suppose the metal badges could be replaced by plastic I. D. cards but there is tradition so I don't think that's going to happen too soon.

HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh! Recalling salad days of Greyhound Lines. To be "in uniform", most of the operators looked much like airline pilots!

Hey! Running a flagship Scenicruiser was not for amateurs!

...................Vern.................
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Employee Discussion, Information, & Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: