BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Photos from the 2008 DOB Roadeo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nycbusfan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Photos from the 2008 DOB Roadeo Reply with quote

Here are a bunch of photos I took at the Roadeo today.

Last edited by nycbusfan on Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nycbusfan,

Your photos are great - almost feel as though I were there myself.

If this were a contest on originality and I were a judge I would have a pretty difficult time coming up with winners because they're all in really good condition.

However, my 'A' list would include the following which I would vote to tie for first place;

Jamaica RTS # 3865, New York Bus Service New Look # 1522, Queens Surface RTS # 275 and of course Fifth Avenue's Yellow Double Decker.

I don't see Green Line's RTS # 10001 or Fifth Avenue's Yellow Double Decker from 1936 (Queen Mary).

Good show.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
nycbusfan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
nycbusfan,

Your photos are great - almost feel as though I were there myself.

If this were a contest on originality and I were a judge I would have a pretty difficult time coming up with winners because they're all in really good condition.

However, my 'A' list would include the following which I would vote to tie for first place;

Jamaica RTS # 3865, New York Bus Service New Look # 1522, Queens Surface RTS # 275 and of course Fifth Avenue's Yellow Double Decker.

I don't see Green Line's RTS # 10001 or Fifth Avenue's Yellow Double Decker from 1936 (Queen Mary).

Good show.

Thanks Mr. L, I'm not sure what happened with GBL 10001. The Queen Mary Double Decker may not have been there because it does not run and would have to be towed.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jamaica RTS # 3865...Queens Surface RTS # 275

Sorry, those two are disqualified: Jamaica 3865 should have a digital sign, and the typeface for the numbers on the front of QSC 275 is way off.

Here's a bit of trivia - both of those buses started out at Queens Surface and were transferred to other operators. Jamaica 3865 was originally QSC 293, and QSC 275 spent the latter part of its life as Green Lines 1149.
Cyberider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos, nycbusfan. A great line-up of the old and the new! Mr. Green
nycbusfan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripta42 wrote:
Quote:
Jamaica RTS # 3865...Queens Surface RTS # 275

Sorry, those two are disqualified: Jamaica 3865 should have a digital sign, and the typeface for the numbers on the front of QSC 275 is way off.

Here's a bit of trivia - both of those buses started out at Queens Surface and were transferred to other operators. Jamaica 3865 was originally QSC 293, and QSC 275 spent the latter part of its life as Green Lines 1149.

Green Lines 1149 also ran as MTA Bus 5904 for a while until it became the QSC museum bus. I'm not sure if 3865 ever ran under MTA Bus.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that Green Line's RTS # 10001 is up on a lift at JFK undergoing some kind of repair which doesn't really concern me too much because parts are still plentiful and I'm sure a full recovery is expected!

What does concern me is the FACCO 1936 Yellow 735 Queen Mary that I am told would have to be towed anywhere because it no longer runs at all!

Looking at this thing logically, there are really only three components that could paralize its otherwise 'elementary' design!, and they would be the engine, the 'Banker' angle drive or the differential (I mean, it's not going to be a passenger signal cord - that's for sure!).

I am uncertain as to whether this particular bus was one of a handful of 735's that were converted to Diesel immediately after WWII but, no matter, gas or Diesel, there is no engine existing today - regardless of its age, that cannot be reworked or even replaced with a reasonable facsimile!

Likewise for the differential (rear end) even if the parts have to be hand machined.

The big one is the patented Banker angle drive which was originally designed specifically for these buses as the companion to the transverse mounted engine.

Here we could have problems merely because of specification as to space available between the engine and rear axle.

And here, we might have to have a really clever machinist 'jury rig' a replacement that would not jeopardize the originality of the structure.

Now, I know I may be way off base here and I stand corrected by anyone who is closer to the situation than I am, and a great deal would also depend on whether the TA is willing to put the money into any such major repairs.

I certainly hope they do because that bus represents a very important page in the history of bus transportation in New York.

The Port of Authority

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of double-decker buses, I believe 1263 is capable of running under its own power. During the 2005 DOB roadeo, they were offering rides on it -- a great experience, although it couldn't go very fast, and I bumped my head on the low ceiling on the upper deck.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P of A,

From what I understand, FACCO # 1263 is running quite well and wht not?- it has a conventional forward mounted engine combined with a standard transmission and drive train - with a little TLC, it should run forever!

A little history about the bus; built by Yellow Coach in 1930, # 1263 is a model Z-BH-602 ser.# 170 70 passenger double decker and ran for Fifth Avenue Coach until just after the end of WWII.

According to the Motor Bus Society's 'Directory of Preserved Coaches' dated October of 1989, 1263 and sister 1272 were on display at the Harrah's Museum in Reno, Nevada.

How it wound up back in New York is anybody's guess (and I'll leave that door wide open!).

#'s 1234 and 1235 are at The National Museum of Transport in St. Loius and 1207, 1212 and 1220 are held in private hands.

Shown below is # 1243 at layover in Washington Square.

Picture borrowed for educational purposes only.

Mr.Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: