BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buses/subways in "All In The Family" (Da Bronx)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie:

Actually (and,I remember I grew up NJ) ALL Old Looks sound particularly "throaty" and "gutsy" when idling; this ranged from a steady "gugguggugguggugguggug" to a deep, throaty, almost arrogant-sounding "GRUMMMGRUMMGRUMMGRUMMGRUMM".

If one rode on a suburban Old Look (with manual transmission) you also had the distinct "shift" noises for your ears to savor.

Then, too (our late friend and expert on all-things buses, Mr ."L" commented on this, many years back, after I had brought the subject up); there were those Old Look transits I remember (NJ) that, as the bus was slowing down for a stop, would emit a short, sharp report, followed by a heavy "CLUNK!"

I still remember these distinctive sounds, even after all these years!

frankie:

You said your dad worked at the ENY depot (THAT had to have been interesting!)

Was he still working there when the Fishbowls began to arrive?

Yes, the buses of old were ever so much more fascinating and, yes, even endearing, than the rolling computers and giant caterpillars that pass as buses, nowadays.........

"NYO"

["NYCTA"]
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I just remembered that I have a couple of photos, taken with a Kodak Instamatic camera ( remember them with a cube flash bulbs?) of a couple of brand new 1969 Dangerfields on the B58 Ridgewood Line. Including an interior shot of the driver turning the bus. Btw, this was the only time I rode an NYCTA Flxible.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15 wrote:
And I just remembered that I have a couple of photos, taken with a Kodak Instamatic camera ( remember them with a cube flash bulbs?) of a couple of brand new 1969 Dangerfields on the B58 Ridgewood Line. Including an interior shot of the driver turning the bus. Btw, this was the only time I rode an NYCTA Flxible.

.....I used that SAME type camera, many eons ago, for all my transit photography (I remember thinking the flash "cubes" were so advanced!

I practically wore it out, back in the 70's, when I was railfanning the Newark City Subway and its PCC fleet, and taking bus photos! Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie:

Check out this view of the BMT's ENY yards, circa-late 1950's; note the Old Looks parked below the train level (here we have a yard full of then-new R-16's)........

"NYO"

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?97837

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

["BMT LINES"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ENY, 1958 (note the large number of buses, whose tops are just visible).........

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?75644

["ENY"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This rare (and fascinating!) 1918 view at ENY (showing the same general area shown in the previous two photos) depicts a sea of streetcars and wooden BRT elevated trains (traction paradise!) Wink

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?114249

["BROOKLYN RAPID TRANSIT"]
frankie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:

You said your dad worked at the ENY depot (THAT had to have been interesting!)

Was he still working there when the Fishbowls began to arrive?

Yes, the buses of old were ever so much more fascinating and, yes, even endearing, than the rolling computers and giant caterpillars that pass as buses, nowadays.........

"NYO"

["NYCTA"]

Dad started back in 1942 and retired after working maintenance in 1970. So yes, he worked on plenty of fishbowls as well as all the pre-1958 buses. I remember the open houses at ENY in the '50's and the various buses on display. My last visit there was in 1958 when they displayed the 9000 series old look along with the Binghams and Jolly Green Giants. I was 11 then, and sat behind the wheels playing with the doors and changing the destination signs.

I also had a discussion with Mr. L regarding the engines. Mr. L never drove for the NYCTA, nor has he ever worked on them, so he was not aware of it, nor would he admit that they every existed. I know they did first hand. It's ashamed cell phones didn't exist back then. If I knew then what I know now, I would have taken plenty of photos with my trusted Kodak brownie. There is a great sound distinction between a DD and a Cummins. DD's do sound throaty when idling, but not when they're accelerating. The 7000 and 9000 series in the historic fleet have obviously been re-engined long ago with DD's.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie:

GREAT memories; for certain!

Your dad was indeed of a vanished breed, like my dad (he repaired, and drove, trucks) for 40 years, before retiring in 1969)

I would have given anything to go back in time and visit the ENY facilities in your dad's time....man, the now-classic buses that were on hand then, way back in the day!

"Open houses"on transit properties seem to have gone the way of the old, long-gone, well-patronized ERA excursions; a different time, place, and world, altogether.....

'NYO"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1969 Dangerfields on the B58 Ridgewood Line.

The photos are dated April 1970

Great Instamatic quality!

1 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  131.56 KB
 Viewed:  2833 Time(s)

1 (2).jpg

4 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  175.94 KB

4 (2).jpg

5 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  136.16 KB

5 (2).jpg

MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier it was mentioned that the TA moved the Mack fleet numbers to one side in order to accommodate the front ad racks.

Here we see MaBSTOA 4975, a Mack C-49-DT, with the smaller fleet numbers in order to accommodate the front ad rack. Note the Mack emblem was either removed or simply covered over with the rack.

4975 was ex-Surface Transit 2975

2 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  97.25 KB
 Viewed:  2831 Time(s)

2 (2).jpg

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I REPEAT:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

These are OUTSTANDING photos; man, pics like these really make the "good old days" (bus-wise!) come alive again!!!!!!!!!!!!!Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

These are EXCLLENT little "time capsules", for certain....THANK YOU for posting here!!! Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie:

Here is the former ENY car depot, not long after being converted to a bus garage (note all the new MACKS)

You can just make out remains of the old streetcar rails curving in from the street; note the old line poles, still in place.

An ancient double-ended 8000-series Peter Witt is passing by the former streetcar facility, now totally taken over by buses...........

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?46323

["B&QT"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The timeless B&QT convertible seen here (#2510) was the photographer's main subject in this wonderfully "ol'-timey", circa-1940, photo at ENY, the assortment of prewar buses are also more than worthy of attention (these buses looked QUITE old-fashioned, even then!) Rolling Eyes

(note, also, the BMT "Standards" in the left background)

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?117437

["BERGEN"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15 wrote:
Earlier it was mentioned that the TA moved the Mack fleet numbers to one side in order to accommodate the front ad racks.

Here we see MaBSTOA 4975, a Mack C-49-DT, with the smaller fleet numbers in order to accommodate the front ad rack. Note the Mack emblem was either removed or simply covered over with the rack.

4975 was ex-Surface Transit 2975

Sounds like the shifting to the left in large type was a 'Tee-Yay' thing, then. That was prevalent on the 6000's that lived out their service days in Staten Island, after all.

I suspect, as to that ex-Surface "Patton," they must've removed the Mack "bulldog" logo.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny about "Pattons" in NJ, back in the day.........

MACK-wise, the local "indy" companies I recall so vividly growing up, 60-odd years ago, pretty much seemed to favor the older models, such as the C-41's and C-45's.

Old Looks (various models), WHITES, and assorted other relics pretty much made of these fleets, until Fishbowls began arriving, later in the decade.

In fact, the only MACK suburban models I can remember were those rostered by ORANGE & BLACK............

"NYO"

["1 JOURNAL SQUARE"]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 24 of 27

Jump to: