BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

.....and leave the driving to us......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night, I was (once again!) watching 1934's hit comedy "IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT", and, as always, savoring all the rich and interesting period details involving the buses and the station interiors. Wink

I was looking (with much interest!) of the shoulder insignias of Ward Bond's uniform jacket, showing the "running dog" appearing to pass through a hoop (this further dated the film!)

As I had mentioned awhile ago, I noticed three New Jersey destinations listed above the departure gates:

ATLANTIC CITY

ELIZABETH

NEWARK

As the camera angle did not capture all of the sign, I am sure that "JERSEY CITY" was also displayed.

It must have been very interesting, to say the least, to see the studio crews ironing out the finer details with the brass at GREYHOUND, to assure the most realistic approaches.

Recall, too, the memorable scene at the Miami terminal, where "Peter Warren" tosses out the piles of newspapers that were occupying the rear seat? (Clearly, GREYHOUND, like the passenger trains of that era, also delivered the papers!)

I LOVE this classic "Hound flick", made even better with the dashing Clark Cable and the lovely Claudette Colbert! Very Happy

The drivers of that era (like they buses they piloted) were indeed made of STERN STUFF, no mistake in that! Wink

"NYO"

["NIGHT BUS TO NEW YORK"]
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you love “It Happened One Night” so much, perhaps you might be interested in seeing the 1956 Technicolor musical remake, “You Can’t Get Away From It”?
Like most remakes, it doesn’t measure up to the original, and indeed if you read the reviews, almost all agree.

However, it is neat to see the original Yellow conventional, replaced by a modern Scenicruiser…🙂

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0049973/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

One of these days, I have to see this film, if only for the SCENICRUISER scenes. Wink

I've also (like yourself) heard the film itself wasn't all that great; I'll take the 1934 original with Gable and Colbert anyday! Very Happy

I STILL like to picture a young Glen Campbell riding on a SCENICRUISER (or a "Buffalo"), watching the passing scenery from the window as "Gentle On My Mind" plays on the soundtrack! Smile

Sure wouldn't mind seeing either Gable or Cambell playing the part of a 'Hound driver! Wink

"NYO"

["TRAVEL STRAIGHT THRU-GO GREYHOUND!"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Quick question(s)......

When GREYHOUND was selling off the SCENICRUISERS during the 1970's, were the 4104's also being sold off at that time?

Also, about when were the 4106's retired?

Appreciate, as always, your input......

"NYO"

["SEE AMERICA FIRST-GO GREYHOUND"]
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver:

Quick question(s)......

When GREYHOUND was selling off the SCENICRUISERS during the 1970's, were the 4104's also being sold off at that time?

"NYO"

Not sure of final dates, but 4104’s were pretty much gone by the early ‘70’s, and the 4106’s by mid ‘70’s.
Greyhound usually kept equipment in mainline service for about 12 years. The Scenicruiser’s lasted longer due to their unique design and capacity. The 4107’s were replaced sooner due to going for the larger capacity 40 foot MC-7’s and 8’s.
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came across this link on another forum:

https://oaklandside.org/2023/03/09/oakland-greyhound-bus-station-abandoned-history-underground-raves-party-alden-global/

Be sure to scroll down to the photo of the rugged looking three axle conventional “motor stage”, and its driver…

“Buck” Travis, who later became a vice president of the Greyhound Corporation, after they merged with his California Transit to form Pacific Greyhound Lines, should have received the credit for the oldest component of the Company, since it dated back long before the “official” founders date of 1914 in the Iron Range of Minnesota. California Transit started in horse drawn stage coach era…
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
traildriver:

Quick question(s)......

"NYO"

Not sure of final dates, but 4104’s were pretty much gone by the early ‘70’s, and the 4106’s by mid ‘70’s.
Greyhound usually kept equipment in mainline service for about 12 years. The Scenicruiser’s lasted longer due to their unique design and capacity. The 4107’s were replaced sooner due to going for the larger capacity 40 foot MC-7’s and 8’s.

traildriver:

Thanks for the info....much appreciated! Wink

I had the feeling that the 4104's were gone by the time SCENICRUISER retirement was in full swing, but was not sure.

Recall, also, the SCENICRUISERS and 4104's that were shipped over to Korea for further service, back in the 1970's.

I had forgotten to mention the "Bison"; I would guess that that they were sold off at some time during the mid/late 1970's.......

"NYO"

["IT COSTS LESS TO TAKE THE BUS"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Came across this link on another forum:

https://oaklandside.org/2023/03/09/oakland-greyhound-bus-station-abandoned-history-underground-raves-party-alden-global/

Be sure to scroll down to the photo of the rugged looking three axle conventional “motor stage”, and its driver…

“Buck” Travis, who later became a vice president of the Greyhound Corporation, after they merged with his California Transit to form Pacific Greyhound Lines, should have received the credit for the oldest component of the Company, since it dated back long before the “official” founders date of 1914 in the Iron Range of Minnesota. California Transit started in horse drawn stage coach era…

traildriver:

GREAT article....thanks for posting here!

Truly sad indeed that this historic station has fallen upon such evil times, and will, most likely, be demolished. Crying or Very sad

We still have not learned to appreciate the remaining relics of our transportation history, for the valuable history they represent.

Sadly, so few of the "classic era" GREYHOUND stations remain today, and even less remain in active service today. Sad

The picture showing the sad state of the former depot today is indeed heartbreaking. Sad

LOVED those old photos; the one interior photo was indeed QUITE reminiscent of many of the grand "big city" rail hubs of that era! Very Happy

That three-axle "motor stage" HAD to have been a BEAST for the drivers of that time, given the many rough highways and byways they had to drive along, back in those days.....IRON men, indeed! Wink
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former GREYHOUND stations in California........

https://www.roadarch.com/bus/ca.html

["BUS"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have inquired about this a long while back........

Was just thinking about how many miles a GREYHOUND driver was allowed to drive per trip.

How long was the driver behind the wheel before he was relieved?

I know there were dormitories/overnight accommodations for drivers on the really long-distance runs; but, if, say, the driver was assigned to drive a "short haul" run between New York and Philadelphia, how many trips per day would he make (with a rest period in between)

I'm going to guess one round trip per day?

During peak travel times during holidays, did drivers work OT?

Thanks.........

"NYO"

["THRU-BUS SERVICE"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......given the prestige that being a GREYHOUND driver once carried, many years ago, and, also, given the physical stamina required to focus on the road while piloting a huge bus carrying many passengers, I think it is also a given that GREYHOUND drivers had to be in top physical condition, and, also, be "quick-on-the-draw", regarding mental faculties.

Too, even though the drivers were not "mechanics", per se, it's obvious that they had to have at least have a "working knowledge" of the buses they drove.....

"NYO"

["SCENICRUISER SERVICE"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In "AMERICAN BUSES" (David Jacobs, 1985), there is a photo of a GREYHOUND driver, Mr. E. J. Ross, who, at the time of publication, had been driving for the company for 37 years; this meant that, when he started driving, 743's, SILVERSIDES and ACF-BRILLs were in operation.

The photo caption tells us that Mr. Ross was then running mostly out of Dallas, and mostly to Memphis.

His schedule had him working four days, with two days off in-between.

Indeed, for an older driver, STAMINA (and, of course, overall good health) played a tremendous role in job longevity (and, of course, a love for the job!) Wink

"NYO"

["GREYHOUND LINES"]
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have inquired about this a long while back........

Was just thinking about how many miles a GREYHOUND driver was allowed to drive per trip.

How long was the driver behind the wheel before he was relieved?

I know there were dormitories/overnight accommodations for drivers on the really long-distance runs; but, if, say, the driver was assigned to drive a "short haul" run between New York and Philadelphia, how many trips per day would he make (with a rest period in between)

I'm going to guess one round trip per day?

During peak travel times during holidays, did drivers work OT?

Thanks.........

"NYO"

["THRU-BUS SERVICE"]

I believe we did cover this before.
In a nutshell, with some exceptions, long-distance bus drivers are limited to 10 hours driving, and 15 hours total driving and on duty not driving time, before they must take 8 hours off duty. In addition, they are limited to either 60 total hours in 7 day period, or 70 in an 8 day period.

The complete details are found here:
https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-49/subtitle-B/chapter-III/subchapter-B/part-395

Note the extended hours allowed in Alaska…

Drivers could make 2 round trips on New York - Philadelphia express trips…
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......given the prestige that being a GREYHOUND driver once carried, many years ago, and, also, given the physical stamina required to focus on the road while piloting a huge bus carrying many passengers, I think it is also a given that GREYHOUND drivers had to be in top physical condition, and, also, be "quick-on-the-draw", regarding mental faculties.

Too, even though the drivers were not "mechanics", per se, it's obvious that they had to have at least have a "working knowledge" of the buses they drove.....

"NYO"

["SCENICRUISER SERVICE"]

Back in the day, Greyhound drivers were very carefully screened, and only the most qualified candidates were hired.
While each student driver may have had wide differences in mechanical capabilities based on previous experience, company training taught them enough to thoroughly understand all of the buses mechanical components and their functions, enough at least to recognize when something was amiss, and mechanical help was needed. At one time, the driver even had to be capable of changing a bus tire on the road, but that has all changed, nowadays
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In "AMERICAN BUSES" (David Jacobs, 1985), there is a photo of a GREYHOUND driver, Mr. E. J. Ross, who, at the time of publication, had been driving for the company for 37 years; this meant that, when he started driving, 743's, SILVERSIDES and ACF-BRILLs were in operation.

The photo caption tells us that Mr. Ross was then running mostly out of Dallas, and mostly to Memphis.

His schedule had him working four days, with two days off in-between.

Indeed, for an older driver, STAMINA (and, of course, overall good health) played a tremendous role in job longevity (and, of course, a love for the job!) Wink

"NYO"

["GREYHOUND LINES"]

When I started in the business back in 1968, our seniority roster had drivers with 1926 seniority!
Imagine the changes those “pioneers” witnessed…
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 47 of 73

Jump to: