BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recalling the long-defunct intercity operators.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 77, 78, 79  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Dallas (see previous links) we now head north to Cleveland, where this majestic, historic, sleek (still in use!) GREYHOUND terminal indeed has an interesting story to tell...... Wink

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/ohio/cleveland/greyhound-terminal-cle/

["GO GREYHOUND-AND LEAVE THE DRIVING TO US!"]

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREYHOUND stations (yesterday and today) in Ohio......

https://www.roadarch.com/bus/oh.html

["IT'S SUCH A COMFORT TO TAKE THE BUS"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remembering the long-ago days when GREYHOUND was still rostering a large fleet of the ever-classic 4106; this timeless photo was snapped in Chicago (note a CTA Fishbowl in the background)....... Wink

https://www.pinterest.com.mx/pin/612208143085831296/

["TRAVEL STRAIGHT THOUGH-WITH GREYHOUND"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way back in the day, "purists" would not have ever thought that they would, one day, see a TRAILWAYS Scenicruiser!! Shocked

Then again, of course, since the late 1950's, Japanese tin toy makers offered QUITE a few SCENICRUISERS in various "TRAILWAYS" liveries..... Wink (trust me, I know!)

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/508414245405875297/

["GO BIG RED!"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this timeless, long-ago "yard" scene from 1970, the newest coach is a SCENICRUISER, seen here in the proud company of a vintage SILVERSIDES and two 4103's........now, indeed, THESE were REAL buses!!!! Wink

www.eddiesrailroad.blogspot.com/2014/03/vintage-greyhound-buses-at-concord.html

["GREYHOUND LINES"]
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find.🙂
I know they lasted in service on the East Bay commuter division until at least 1972 , but not sure of their final date of service there…
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Ahhh, the long-ago days of LONGEVITY in the GREYHOUND fleet! Wink

Many years ago, on the old "STRAYHOUND" site, there was a MAGNIFICENT photo of a SILVERSIDES, a MACK, and two Old Looks in East Bay commuter service, taken in the late 1960's.

The several vintage buses in that photo today would have made for a FINE lineup at a vintage bus show! Wink

Memories, memories......... Very Happy

"NYO"

["SILVERSIDES"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

......we have often discussed GREYHOUND's once-extensive commuter operations in the San Francisco Bay area, many years ago.

GREYHOUND could never have operated commuter buses to and from the "Port-of-Authority"; it would have been impossible, given the many suburban carriers that then operated suburban services to many points throughout New Jersey....simply too much competition.

"The Hound" would have been up against:

PSNJ

ORANGE & BLACK

RED & TAN

DE CAMP

MANHATTAN LINES

WESTWOOD COACHES

NORTHEAST COACHES

SUBURBAN TRANSIT

LAKELAND

LINCOLN TRANSIT

Of course, all of this intense competition vanished when NJT took over most of the bus operations (transit and suburban) in the early 1980's; in less than a decade, most vestiges of the once-vast Fishbowl fleets (not to mention the rainbow of handsome color schemes that represented the different suburban carriers) disappeared forever.

As a lifelong bus enthusiast who is now in his late 60's, all I can say is that today's suburban bus operations are simply to humdrum, generic, and ho-hum for my tastes.......a far, far cry from what I remember so vividly, 50-60 years ago. Sad

Oh, well, at least I still have the memories....... Wink

"NYO"

["RIVER ROAD EXPRESS"]

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way it was....over forty years ago.......how much we took for granted.....

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156412

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155359

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

["53A-WEEHAWKEN-W N Y"]
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
......we have often discussed GREYHOUND's once-extensive commuter operations in the San Francisco Bay area, many years ago.

GREYHOUND could never have operated commuter buses to and from the "Port-of-Authority"; it would have been impossible, given the many suburban carriers that then operated suburban services to many points throughout New Jersey....simply too much competition.

NYO—

I don’t think Greyhound would have had a desire to enter the commuter bus market in New York, or most other places in their expansion era. I believe that where they did become the commuter bus operator, it was by default, since some local transit operators had no desire either, to expand into that market, and Greyhound found it necessary to accommodate suburban riders with “tripper” type short runs to supplement their mainline local’s on their “inner” portions during commute hours.
In the later years, Greyhound seemed eager to give up this business to whomever wanted it.

One notable exception, is the long-distance commuter service Greyhound inherited with their Continental Trailways purchase, between Mount Laurel, NJ (“Exit 4”), and New York, originally started by Quaker City Bus Company, when the NJTP opened…

[“Turnpike Express”]😉
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

As always, greatly appreciate your input! Wink

I had also forgotten to mention MARTZ offering commuter service from the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area into New York.

So far as GREYHOUND's Bay Area-commuter routes, the very last vestiges of "The Hound" was disappearing when SamTrans was scrapping the ex-GREYHOUND Fishbowls which they had inherited, when replacing them with new equipment in the 1980's (there is a photo showing theses buses being scrapped in an old copy of BUS WORLD I have)

I always thought that the "long haul" suburban runs out of the PABT were quite interesting, almost like true "through" services.

Recall when MANHATTAN LINES and DE CAMP (among others) began purchasing "Bison" to use on their longer suburban routes (as well as charters)

Interestingly, though DE CAMP did roster 4104's, they passed the 4106 by, and did not begin purchasing parlor coaches again until the "Bison"......

"NYO"

["NEW YORK VIA TURNPIKE"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More colorful "diversity" at the "Port Of Authority", over 40 years ago.......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156409

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155330

["TRANSPORT OF NEW JERSEY"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had an interesting discussion on this early 1980's photo quite awhile back, showing an "ARROW TRAILWAYS" Fishbowl just out of the "Port Of Authority", and signed "#32 NUTLEY".

The #32 was always a long-established DE CAMP route; I know this photo location QUITE well, since my long-ago childhood days; and, today, only reside about 15 minutes away from the famed "Helix".

I do know that "CAPITOL TRAILWAYS" operated Fishbowls in suburban service out of Harrisburg, beginning in the 1960's (these were S8M-5303A models).......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156760

["32 NUTLEY"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This 1980 photo shows DE CAMP #417 signed for the "#32"........

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153618

["DE CAMP"]
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
We had an interesting discussion on this early 1980's photo quite awhile back, showing an "ARROW TRAILWAYS" Fishbowl just out of the "Port Of Authority", and signed "#32 NUTLEY".

The #32 was always a long-established DE CAMP route; I know this photo location QUITE well, since my long-ago childhood days; and, today, only reside about 15 minutes away from the famed "Helix".

I do know that "CAPITOL TRAILWAYS" operated Fishbowls in suburban service out of Harrisburg, beginning in the 1960's (these were S8M-5303A models).......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156760

["32 NUTLEY"]

When Ronny Moore, the son of the owner of that “Arrow Trailways” inherited the Company, he moved to Iowa, and re-invented the Company into today’s Burlington Trailways, with routes from Indiana all the way to Colorado.

Continental Trailways also had some Suburban fishbowls, IIRC…
Queen City on its Fayetteville-Fort Bragg shuttle, and Continental Dixie on some Dallas suburban route.
Carolina Coach ran some on its Norfolk - Virginia Beach shuttle…
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 77, 78, 79  Next
Page 54 of 79

Jump to: