BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Could a New Flyer GE60LF(R) be viable?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DE60LF

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Could a New Flyer GE60LF(R) be viable? Reply with quote

I was wondering, could a New Flyer GE60LF(R) be a viable option in the future?

Perhaps a GE60LF(R) could be an alternative for the NABI 60-BRT CNG for TAs in southern California, where diesel-electric hybrids are not an option. I have heard that LACMTA is having suspension troubles with their NABI 60-BRTs, and NABI is doing very little to help out with the problem. If LACMTA cancels their contract with NABI, since no other manufacturer in North America manufactures artics that are not diesel or diesel-electric hybrid powered, they will face a serious issue. They would have to either negotiate with New Flyer or buy buses overseas.

I know that New Flyer has stated that the market is too small for a CNG artic, however, could a gasoline-electric hybrid artic be a better option? By offering a GE60LF(R), New Flyer can get a better foothold in the artic market in southern California.
The Port of Authority

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LACMTA is not cancelling their NABI contract. They're about to order a large number of 45-foot CNG buses from NABI as well as an order of 42-BRT hybrids.

Given that I see 60-BRTs on the road every day, I fail to see what the suspension issues are.
DE60LF

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Port of Authority wrote:
LACMTA is not cancelling their NABI contract. They're about to order a large number of 45-foot CNG buses from NABI as well as an order of 42-BRT hybrids.

Given that I see 60-BRTs on the road every day, I fail to see what the suspension issues are.

Read this thread here:
http://forum.bustalk.info/viewtopic.php?t=620&sid=c78ab89cf99b95643f4f6c5828216829
The Port of Authority

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DE60LF wrote:
The Port of Authority wrote:

Read this thread here:
http://forum.bustalk.info/viewtopic.php?t=620&sid=c78ab89cf99b95643f4f6c5828216829

That thread is from a while ago. And I also don't think the opinions of one sole bus operator represent the entire views of the LACMTA.

Plus, I've ridden some of the earlier 60-BRTs (the ones on the Orange Line) and the ride was fine. The earlier 40-LFWs are much more of a nightmare to ride, with every single panel inside the bus rattling.

If the 60-BRTs have problems, they aren't very serious. At least not as serious as the 60-LFWs in Chicago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: