BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multicolor destination signs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DE60LF

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Multicolor destination signs Reply with quote

I was wondering, does anyone know of a list of TAs that have multicolor destination signs on their buses?

All of ABQ RIDE's New Flyer buses feature TwinVision Chroma series front destination signs, with the route number displayable in different colors. However, so far the color coding feature is only used on the DE60LF (Rapid Ride) buses, displaying in red for the Rapid Ride Red Line, and blue for the Rapid Ride Blue Line. The route numbers on the DE40LFRs either display as yellow or red-orange, regardless of route.

Also, AC Transit has full-color destination signs on their Van Hools. I also think that LACMTA has Luminator multicolor destination signs on some of their 60-BRTs.
amoreira81

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locally, the nearest TA to NYC that I am aware of having it on public transit buses is Norwalk Transit in Norwalk, CT.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PVTA in Springfield MA and Nashville, TN's MTA have multi-colored LED signs on their newer Gillig low-floor buses.
The Port of Authority

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Numerous California transit agencies have them.

-LACMTA (NABI 60-BRTs, NABI 65-BRT)
-Long Beach Transit (2002 NFI D40LFs, NFI D60LFs, Chance Opus and NFI GE40LFs)
-Foothill Transit (NABI 40-LFWs and 60-BRTs, and Orion Vs)
-Montebello Bus Lines (NFI GE40LFs)
-Santa Monica Big Blue Bus (NFI L40LFs)
-AC Transit (newer Van Hools)
-Golden Gate Transit
rideonrulez

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the top of my head here in the Washington DC area:

WMATA's New Flyer C40LFR (Metroextra)-2801-2814
ART's NABI CNG 35LFW-5271-5278
DC Circulator-Van Hool-1101-1129
ctrabs74

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amoreira81 wrote:
Locally, the nearest TA to NYC that I am aware of having it on public transit buses is Norwalk Transit in Norwalk, CT.

I think Suffolk Transit also has multi-color destination signs. For some odd reason I thought Rockland might as well, but don't quote me on it.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Port of Authority wrote:
Numerous California transit agencies have them.

-LACMTA (NABI 60-BRTs, NABI 65-BRT)
-Long Beach Transit (2002 NFI D40LFs, NFI D60LFs, Chance Opus and NFI GE40LFs)
-Foothill Transit (NABI 40-LFWs and 60-BRTs, and Orion Vs)
-Montebello Bus Lines (NFI GE40LFs)
-Santa Monica Big Blue Bus (NFI L40LFs)
-AC Transit (newer Van Hools)
-Golden Gate Transit

P of A,

The only NABI 60 BRT's that I see are the Rapids (Red) and Locals (Orange and Gray) that travel the 720 Wilshire Boulevard route and they display their destination signs in bright orange with what appears to be a slightly different shade of the same color for the run number as pictured on the 920 below (when the glare of the sun doesn't wash them out!).

It may be that the silver jobs that run the special busways in the Valley have more distinctive multi-colors - I'll have to make note the next time I'm over there.

Photo borrowed for educational purposes only.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Proudly serving out of WSC-7 (West Hollywood, Ca.)
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Toronto Transit Commission Had Multicolored Signs Reply with quote

The Toronto Transit Commission had multicolored destination signs on all its buses, particularly the fishbowls. Colors used were red,yellow, black on most readings with the route number being on yellow background. Not sure if any of the remaining fishbowls still have this feature. The ex Montreal buses, I am not sure about what they have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
RailBus63

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of Toronto's New Look buses were rebuilt and received electronic destination signs. The last bus with a rollsign was retired in 2004.
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Multicolored destination Signs Reply with quote

Gray Coach Lines had what could be considered a multicolored destination sign. The half over the passenger side of the windshield was white on black background and indicated the final destination of the bus, followed by VIA arranged vertically, followed by the routing on RED Background indicating such things as Via QUEEN ELIZABETH, VIA GUELPH, VIA GRAY COACH LINES,etc. Every bus from the PD4104 and TDM4515 to the MC9 had this type of destination sign. The final buses had the standard destination sign, doing away with the VIA and routing in separate roll sign curtains.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
The Port of Authority

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctrabs74 wrote:
amoreira81 wrote:

I think Suffolk Transit also has multi-color destination signs. For some odd reason I thought Rockland might as well, but don't quote me on it.

Transport of Rockland indeed has multicolor signs on some of their buses.

DE60LF

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Port of Authority wrote:
ctrabs74 wrote:
amoreira81 wrote:

Transport of Rockland indeed has multicolor signs on some of their buses.

Based on the font, that appears to be a TwinVision Chroma I destination sign. That is what ABQ RIDE uses on their New Flyer buses. The sign on the LACMTA photo, on the other hand, appears to be a Luminator Spectrum multicolor sign.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a simpler multi-color job from the days of yore;

An occasional lube of the gears kept this baby rolling real smooth!

This was the standard side curtain cabinet on most GM 'Old Looks'.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: NFT's Variation of Multicolored Destination Signs Reply with quote

The Niagara Frontier Transit System, and possibly the Buffalo Transit Company as well, used a variation of a multicolored detination sign. One variation NFT used was the white lettering on red background which indicated 1st stop limitation for discharge of passengers on a particular trip on that route. Another was a red diagonal through a route variation letter, which indicated operation via the Thruway and/or Expressway rather than via the regular route. Buffalo Transit Company's routes had letters instead of route numbers so they had to indicate variations in routing in a different manner, most likely by means of using symbols and footnotes. Regional Transit Service in Rochester,NY only uses timetable footnotes to indicate routing variations. When RTS buses had roll signs, one half indicated the route number and name and the half over the driver's windshield, the destination.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: