BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'A Birthday Party Should Be In The Offing'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: 'A Birthday Party Should Be In The Offing' Reply with quote

Back in 1869, the first steam powered trains bagan to operate along the Long Island Rail Road's new branch line to Far Rockaway via the Five Towns in close by Nassau County.

In the late sixties (the 1960's) I was a young attorney practicing in Brooklyn and commuting to my home in Woodmere via the L.I.R.R. which, of course, traveled along the Far Raockway Branch.

Being a student of the history of transportation, I was well aware of the approaching one hundreth birthday of the line and, with what little political clout I could muster as an attorney (with friends in high places) I tried to prevail upon the hamlets along the route and to the Long Island Rail Road themselves to celebrate the occasion in some form or another (maybe a free ride on the birthday even).

Unfortunately, my pleas went in vain and nothing was done!

Now, we approach the one hundreth birthday of the grand old Queensborough Bridge completed in 1909 and a most important public transportation link, if there ever was one, carrying, at one time or another, several trolley lines, bus lines and even the Second Avenue elevatored railway.

The history of the structure is interesting in that it was built with the future in mind (a rarity in its day) with five lanes originally and the ability to expand to the eleven lanes we take for granted today.

I know how well it was put together because my father in law was the steel contractor that ripped out the upper rail beds of the Second Avenue line and prepared the steel work for four lanes of auto traffic - pre construction tests of the bridge's ability to carry the extra loads revealed that its strength was in excess and could last as long as one thousand years! (with a liitle T.L.C.).

I certainly hope that the City Fathers are aware of the upcoming note in its history and will make some appropriate jesture to celebrate this important monument.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Newkirk Plaza David

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Mr. Linsky, let's not also forget that less than 2 months away we will be celebrating NYC's oldest bridge, the Brooklyn Bridge at 125 years. Opened May, 1883, this and the Queensboro bridge are icons of the world, in movies and TV.

The Queensboro Bridge is still going strong with the current reconstruction and will be stronger for decades to come.

Always a pleasure to read your fond memories of a time I wasn't around yet, but in this case I was a cute little baby, hehe.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NPD,

Yes, I am aware that the Brooklyn Bridge will soon boast another quarter century since its one hundreth birthday in 1983.

Unfortunatley, with the political and economic stresses that we now find ourselves in I think any celebrations of monuments at this time may be relegated to the back burner!

There are some very interesting photos of the bridge (a couple of which I have assembled below) but I think the most striking is one (not shown) showing the two towers immediately after construction but before Mr. Roebling began to weave his innovative cables.

When you see this picture, you realize that those two stone towers were the 'skyscrapers' of Manhattan because there was nothing else that reached their height at the time.

Anyway, if there is no formal recognition of the 125th. birthday at least we have made some permanent mention of it here on BusTalk.

BTW; Thanks for the compliment.

Photos borrowed from various Brooklyn Bridge websites for educational purposes only.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

1896 Panorama

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: