BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TTC Union Rejects Deal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TTCBusbabe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: TTC Union Rejects Deal. Reply with quote

TTC Union Rejects Management's First Proposal For A Renewal Collective Agreement
Wednesday March 12, 2008
CityNews.ca Staff

Members of Amalgamated Transit Union Local 113 voted 99.2% to reject TTC management's first proposal for a renewal collective agreement on Wednesday night. They also authorized the union to call a strike if a deal can't be struck by April 1st. That's when their current three-year agreement expires.

"It was a deliberately inferior offer and deserved to be rejected," said Union President Bob Kinnear in a release.

"It doesn't come close to other recent GTA transit wage settlements, such as those in Mississauga and Brampton. It asks us to sell out future TTC workers by agreeing that they will be paid less than they would be now.

"And it doesn't address the injustice of the TTC's 'too bad, so sad' policy of financially penalizing our members in both Maintenance and Transportation who are injured or criminally assaulted on the job. Other city workers don't suffer such penalties, why should we?

While the TTC won't reveal exactly what's in their initial offer, reports indicate they're willing to give those who keep the system running a two per cent wage hike over four years.

But the union wasn't happy with the offer and told its members to reject the offer, which they unanimously agreed to do, complaining there are serious strings attached to the raise - including a reduction in some of their existing benefits.

"I'm not happy with the four-year term," explains TTC employee Cam Woodburn. "I'm not happy with the percentage points. Two per cent over four years is not acceptable. I agree with my union executive on that issue."

Drivers and ticket booth collectors have long complained about attacks by passengers and that management ignores their concerns. For many, that's an issue even more important than money.

"Why am I unhappy with this offer?" asks Catherine Miller rhetorically. "I think it has to do with safety. I mean it's a long time coming. They haven't really done anything. They say they're going to do stuff, and they don't. I was really shocked to find out that our collectors' booths are not bulletproof glass for instance. I always assumed that they were going to do it but it costs too much money and they opted out for not doing that."

TTC Chair Adam Giambrone is hopeful that a solution can be found in time to avoid a debilitating strike.

"Certainly we're going to continue to negotiate and look forward to productive sessions and I feel very confident at this point that we can have a negotiated settlement," he said Wednesday night.

While the union mulls the prospect of walking, so do passengers - who will have little choice if the TTC shuts down. Would they accept the contract? "I think two per cent each year is a bit low," admits one. "I've always had excellent service on the TTC."

"I think they should get what they want," agrees another commuter. "I mean it's a stressful job. It really is."

But nearly everyone remembers the chaos caused by previous transit disruptions and no one wants to see it happen again. "It would be a big inconvenience," a rider worries. "It will cost me $185 to park near my job, so I need the TTC."

The last time the TTC shut down was during a one day wildcat strike on May 29, 2006. The reasons are still a matter of contention. The union insists it was over still existing concerns about safety. The city blamed a dispute on night shift changes to some janitors.

Whatever the reason, the results were obvious. The strike lasted ten hours, left almost a million stranded and cost the system more than $3 million.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_20509.aspx
ProBus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BusBabe! I am not happy with this offer at all as you can well guess. They better bring a lot more sugar to the table or they can bring it to me on the PICKET LINE! They dont mind opening up the city coffers when they want some sugar ha ha ! so give me some to. 113 ATU rules!
TTCBusbabe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking forward to a long haul..especially when the public is chewing it up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: