BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MTA: Nassau County owes more than $40 million (Newsday)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RailBus63

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: MTA: Nassau County owes more than $40 million (Newsday) Reply with quote

MTA: Nassau County owes more than $40 million

Click on the link to read the full article. Some excerpts:

Quote:
Nassau County owes more than $40 million to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority for building projects and Long Island Bus, and according to some officials, is balking at repayment.

Half of the debt stems from a 1990s deal whereby the MTA gave $48 million to nearly bankrupt Nassau in return for a pledge of $97 million to be used on Long Island Rail Road stations and other transit projects in the county. However, Nassau only came up with $77 million, the MTA confirmed Friday.

Note that its a representative from Westchester who is raising a fuss:

Quote:
Nassau's arrears to the agency were highlighted during a legislative budget hearing. Under questioning from Assemb. Richard Brodsky (D-Westchester), MTA and state Transportation Department officials said here that they were working with Nassau Executive Thomas Suozzi to resolve the problem.

Quote:
At Wednesday's hearing, Brodsky criticized state Transportation Commissioner Astrid Glynn for sending about $10 million a year to Long Island Bus despite Nassau's refusal to increase its subsidy. He said it was unfair to other communities that honor their debts.
B53RICH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice nowhere in the article is there any reference to any takeover of MTA LI Bus by MTA Bus.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B53RICH wrote:
Notice nowhere in the article is there any reference to any takeover of MTA LI Bus by MTA Bus.

Not only that, but this dispute could also create the perception that the MTA is bailing out Nassau by taking over Long Island Bus. Any takeover would have to be transparent, and even then the Westchester politicians might still oppose it.
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder whether I have a correct understanding of the situation. The MTA expect Nassau County to pay the deficit after fare revenue and fed subsidies (if any) are collected. The bridge tolls bail out the loses of NYC Transit, the LIRR, and Metro-North, but (if my understanding is correct), the MTA merely operates LI Bus and does not award it any share of the bridge revenue. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Joe McMahon
Pineywoodsbus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is the buses are in the worst shape they've ever been in. Bad brakes, timing belts,etc. They are running on fumes. Plus alot of the destination signs are not working and they have to put paper signs in the windows.
Tom Suozzi thinks this is all a joke. Hopefully when a bus that lost its breaks hits his limo he'll have a change of thought. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: