BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Flyer Announces Recent Bus Orders for 1,180 Buses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevlaf983

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: New Flyer Announces Recent Bus Orders for 1,180 Buses Reply with quote

New Flyer Announces Recent Bus Orders for 1,180 Buses Valued at Over US$624 Million

(TSX:NFI.UN) New Flyer Industries Inc. (“New Flyer” or the “Company”), the leading manufacturer of heavy-duty transit vehicles in Canada and the United States, announced today that it has received new orders for up to 1,180 buses for a combined value of over US $624 million. Of these new orders, 794 buses are firm orders and 386 are options. These orders are for a variety of vehicle configurations, including 35-, 40- and 60-foot buses and diesel, hybrid-electric, natural gas and fuel cell propulsion systems.

The largest of these orders is from Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (“SEPTA”). New Flyer has been advised that SEPTA’s board of directors has approved an order to New Flyer for 400 40-foot hybrid buses with options for up to an additional 80 buses. Including this recent award, SEPTA has ordered over 1100 buses from New Flyer since 2000, including clean diesel, hybrid-electric and electric trolley buses.

Additionally, New Flyer was recently awarded an order by BC Transit in Victoria, BC to build North America’s first commercial fleet of hydrogen fuel cell buses. New Flyer, in conjunction with Ballard Power Systems and ISE Corporation, will manufacture and deliver 20 40-foot hydrogen fuel cell buses for delivery by the end of 2009. The new fleet will initially be based in Whistler, BC and will be an integral part of the public transportation infrastructure during the 2010 Winter Olympics.

Other bus orders recently awarded to New Flyer include:

- Community Transit in Everett, WA has ordered 15 60-foot hybrid BRT vehicles with options for an additional 34 buses

- OC Transpo in Ottawa, ON has ordered 47 clean diesel 60-foot buses with options for an additional 77 buses

- Mississauga Transit in Mississauga, ON has ordered 35 60-foot diesel buses

- Valley Metro of Phoenix, AZ has ordered 52 40-foot compressed natural gas (CNG) buses

- Calgary Transit in Calgary, AB has ordered 50 40-foot and 15 60-foot clean diesel buses

- Winnipeg Transit in Winnipeg, MB has ordered 20 60-foot hybrid buses and 33 40-foot diesel buses

- Other new contracts and exercised options total 302 buses

The level of activity in 2007 has resulted in a significantly improved backlog position for the year. The total number of orders reported by New Flyer in 2007 is 3,886 buses with a value of over US $1.9 billion.

New Flyer’s backlog as of the end of September 2007 was 6,641 equivalent production units, which represents an increase of 25% in comparison to the 5,313 equivalent production units in backlog at the start of the year. The value of the order backlog as of the end of September 2007 of US $2.5 billion has increased by 37% compared to the US $1.8 billion backlog at the start of the year. The portion of firm orders included in the backlog has increased to US $1.1 billion as of the end of September 2007 from US $0.8 billion at the start of the year.

NOTE: All dollar amounts are stated in US currency based on an exchange rate of US $1.00 = Cdn $0.9848 to calculate the value of the Canadian contracts in this release.
bus317

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The driver's love them, and they wish NYCTA would buy more, but it's not to be.
ralph kramden

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious......We are in the process of placing an order with New Flyer for several articulated buses. At this point I do not know if they will be 2 door or 3 door. I have never driven (or even seen an articulated coach) how do these drive compared to the standard 40' coach? Are the New Flyer's preferred over the Orions? AATA is operating 40' New Flyers, and I have heard mixed feelings vs the Gilligs.
DE60LF

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ralph kramden wrote:
Just curious......We are in the process of placing an order with New Flyer for several articulated buses. At this point I do not know if they will be 2 door or 3 door. I have never driven (or even seen an articulated coach) how do these drive compared to the standard 40' coach? Are the New Flyer's preferred over the Orions? AATA is operating 40' New Flyers, and I have heard mixed feelings vs the Gilligs.

ABQ RIDE's new DE40LFR buses get pretty good comments. They are much better than ABQ RIDE's Thomas SLF200 CNG buses. There are currently about 40 DE40LFR buses in service with ABQ RIDE, with more coming soon. ABQ RIDE actually did consider purchasing Gilligs, but I have heard that the drivers thought their instrument panel was too confusing.

BTW, are the New Flyer artics you are talking about the D60LF or DE60LF? I don't have much experience with the D60LF, but the DE60LF is a pretty good bus. Has pretty quick acceleration.
ralph kramden

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The jury is still out on this. We got the Regents involved somehow or rather they got themselves involved and want to look into the hybrid thing. We are using bio-diesel and have been for a couple of years.
kevlaf983

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The D60LF seems to be good. Apparently drivers say they are easier to turn than the 40ft's. Shocked OC Transpo has had a lot of trouble with the Series 50's in them though! The new ones stated in the first post above will have Cummins ISL in them so hopefully they will be better.
ralph kramden

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what we run is Cummins with Voith transmissions.........I have never been real happy with the Voith's. They would probably be ok on the highway, but in stop and go traffic they get a little bumpy!
DE60LF

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ralph kramden wrote:
Thats what we run is Cummins with Voith transmissions.........I have never been real happy with the Voith's. They would probably be ok on the highway, but in stop and go traffic they get a little bumpy!

If AATA goes the hybrid route, the transmission will definately be Allison, as New Flyer's hybrid buses don't offer Voith.
ralph kramden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AATA took delivery of 15 hybrid Gillig BRT's back in November; they are suppose to get another 5 some time this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: