BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recalling the long-defunct intercity operators.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 77, 78, 79  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Personally, I always felt that the 4014 (always one of my favorite buses!), on both GREYHOUND and TRAILWAYS, was pretty much in the shadow of the more-stately SCENICRUISERS and EAGLES.

It was clear that the iconic, highly-distinctive SCENICRUISER and the handsome EAGLE were the "trademark" buses of each company; the 4104, I've always felt, was the bus industry's version of the 727; sort of a "jack-of-all-trades" conveyance, but still very much in the shadow of the 707 and the DC-8.

The 4104, as time went on, found a strong niche in not only intercity fleets, but also, in the fleets of suburban commuter companies and charter outfits.

GREYHOUND, of course, had the "upper hand", so to speak, regarding the SCENICRUISER; the company had it in service a few years before the first EAGLES "flew".

Even today, many history-minded enthusiast picture a SCENICRUISER, first and foremost, when thinking of a classic "hound"....... Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:46 am; edited 3 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

......when one thinks about, the 4106 was, for all practical purposes, simply a modernized version of the 4104.

Though its lines were more angular than the earlier 4104, it is easy to see where the "inspiration" came from.

Again, like the 4104, the 4106 was pretty much an "unsung hero" for many years, even though they were a part of many intercity fleets through the years,

Also, again like the 4104, the 4106 also found quite a bit of work with commuter and charter companies; way, way back in the early NJT years, I can remember riding "inherited" 4104's and 4106's on the former ORANGE & BLACK's rush-hour "RIVER ROAD EXPRESS".

I remember it being a treat to ride them to/from the PABT, and, like any GM product, the smooth sounds of those powerful engines at work was indeed a sweet symphony....... Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....if ever there was an "unsung hero" in the GREYHOUND (and TRAILWAYS) fleet. it was the 4103, which, IMHO, is easily one of the most underrated highway coaches ever built.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_PD-4103
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

......ditto GM's "Buffalo Bus" (which I long ago dubbed the "Scenicruiser, Jr."/"Baby Greyhound")....... Wink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Buffalo_bus
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very few commuter bus companies acquired new GM 'parlor coaches'. PS only bought them for their long haul routes to Fort Dix, Atlantic City, Cape May, or Allentown, Pa. Main reason besides the higher cost, was the lack of seating that 40 foot Suburban's provided.

When the 40 foot parlor came out the PD-4903 'buffalo', that changed things.
And when GM effectively exited the business, that made the MC-9 Commuter, the new 'king' of commuter buses....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Very few commuter bus companies acquired new GM 'parlor coaches'. PS only bought them for their long haul routes to Fort Dix, Atlantic City, Cape May, or Allentown, Pa. Main reason besides the higher cost, was the lack of seating that 40 foot Suburban's provided.

When the 40 foot parlor came out the PD-4903 'buffalo', that changed things.
And when GM effectively exited the business, that made the MC-9 Commuter, the new 'king' of commuter buses....

traildriver;

Agreed.

DeCamp purchased several 4104's between 1956 and 1957 for both their longer commuter routes as well as charters.

When the company again began to purchase parlor coaches (1968), the new "Buffalos" were used primarily in charter work, but were also regularly used on several commuter runs, particularly the #77; interestingly, well into the 1970's, buses on this route often carried blood between New York and Morristown.

These "Buffalos" were 4903's and 4905's; by the mid-1970's, a quarter of DE CAMP's fleet were parlor coaches.....

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further on DeCamp's "parlor coaches"......

DeCamp purchased 4104's, but, oddly enough, skipped over the 4106's in the 1960's; as I had mentioned in my previous posting, after the 4104's, the next parlor coaches purchased by the company were the "Buffalos".

INTER-CITY rostered 4106's, as did PSNJ.

Like the earlier 4104's, the 4106's were once quite popular with TRAILWAYS......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From "THE BUS WORLD ENCYCLOPEDIA TO BUSES" (Stauss), regarding the 4104.......

".....while GM and GREYHOUND were developing the unique PD-4501 'SCENICRUISER", GM constructed a bus which incorporated some of its features, such as picture windows, air suspension, optional air-conditioning, and full silversiding......"

"......GREYHOUND bought the first one, and eventually operated 1,253 of the 4104 'Highway Travelers'......."

"......the 4104 was the first of of many GM buses to feature slanting window pillars, a design theme which remained with the intercity line until its end in 1980, and also used on all 'New Look' transit buses......"

"......5,065 4104's were produced during the production run which lasted until 1960......"

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the later 4106 (from the aforemtioned "BUS WORLD ENCYCLOPEDIA").......

".....the PD-4104 was restyled to create the 4106; this bus was the first to use the new Detroit Diesel 8V-71. It was also the first bus to have a combined heating and cooling system, with the compressor driven by the engine....."

".....GREYHOUND and TRAILWAYS both operated substantial numbers of the 3,226 4106's that were produced between 1961 and 1965......"

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:

"NYO"

Inter-City up until sometime around 1960 or so (not sure when), competed with Hudson Transit ("Short Line"), on the New York to Monticello and Liberty route...
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One unique feature of any 4106 registered in New Jersey, was the requirement to have an emergency door. Only NJ still required them. The rest of the states accepted the large push out escape windows as sufficient. When the 4107 came out, NJ dropped that requirement....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:

"NYO"

Inter-City up until sometime around 1960 or so (not sure when), competed with Hudson Transit ("Short Line"), on the New York to Monticello and Liberty route...

traildriver:

Yes, you are correct; I had read of this awhile ago.

In later years, both ORANGE & BLACK and INTER-CITY became MAPLEWOOD EQUIPMENT COMPANY, which lasted until the NJT takeover.

I remember the INTER-CITY 4106's having a square " plaque" on the rear, reading "INTER-CITY LINES"; the ORANGE & BLACK 4106's also carried a similar sign on the rear, reading ORANGE & BLACK BUS LINES".

Thankfully, the 4104 escaped being painted in the NJT "Eskimo Pie Dip" livery which, to me, looked like a scale model bus being dipped in white paint, and then having a few decals affixed after the paint dried.....never did anything at all for me..... Sad

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
One unique feature of any 4106 registered in New Jersey, was the requirement to have an emergency door. Only NJ still required them. The rest of the states accepted the large push out escape windows as sufficient. When the 4107 came out, NJ dropped that requirement....

traildriver:

I did not know this; thanks for sharing this interesting tidbit! Wink

Recall, also, the unique and once-commonplace (only in NJ) crowd gates, which were a feature to be found on all New Jersey local and commuter buses, before they vanished sometime after the NJT era began.

I knew these well growing up in Hudson County, long, long ago.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Buffalos"........

In the early 80's, I started seeing "Bison" (I do not know if these were originally PS/TNJ buses, or from some other company) on the former ORANGE & BLACK "River Road Express"; I rode them often enough to get "the feel" of them, and always pretended I was on a long-haul jaunt via a SCENICRUISER! Wink

My first "Bison" trip was with my folks in 1973, when we took a "PARKER TOURS" week-long trip up to Canada (bus was "DATTCO")

I also remember SHORT LINE operating "Bison"; if memory serves me correctly, MANHATTAN LINES also ran them.

Ahhh, memories....... Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In "AMERICAN BUSES" (David Jacobs, 1985) there are a few photos of local and out-of-state "Bison" photos, including these companies:

SCENIC HAWKEYE STAGES

LIBERTY

In the chapter dedicated to GREYHOUND, only MCI buses are represented; TRAILWAYS, all EAGLES.

By the late 1960's, EMPIRE STATE TRAILWAYS (WESTERN NEW YORK MOTOR LINES) was operating PD-4903's in through service between Buffalo and New York, with ADIRONDACK TRAILWAYS*.......

"NYO"

*Information from "TRAILWAYS BUSES" (William A. Luke)

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 77, 78, 79  Next
Page 11 of 79

Jump to: