BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Memories Of The "Friendly Skies"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"......when the first 747 entered service in 1970, it changed the shape of air travel, and opened up new horizons to people around the world. Today (1987) the 747 is more than just an airliner------it is the icon of American culture, and a flying advertisement for the American Way......."

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"........prior to the introduction of wide-body jets, aircraft fuselages had remained basically the same since the early days of piston airliners. the speed or sound, or Mach, was still a barrier, and when trying to add capacity to existing airliners, the answer had been to simply make the fuselages longer........."

"........aircraft manufacturers in the United States in the early 1960's had believed that most air passenger travel by the 1970's would be by supersonic airliners. The original plan for the 747 were for a freighter to able to handle side-by-side containers from nose to tail, thus the cockpit was located above the main deck......."

"......once it was realized that the SST would not become available, those plans were adapted for a passenger aircraft. Now, in rapid succession, supersonic jets and wide-bodies began to appear....."

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From "AIRLINER TECH: VOLUME 6: BOEING 747 (Dennis R. Jenkins)

"........without question, the Boeing 747 marked a turning point in commercial aviation. It was conceived in general terms by Juan Trippe, the founder of Pan American World Airways, and it was intended to boost the tourist trade......."

".........the goal was simple: reduce the price of a ticket far below what would have been charged to fly on a 707 or a DC-8. If you got the price low enough, the 'common man' could suddenly afford to fly to destinations he previously only had dreamed of......."

".......while it was being designed, the 747 was considered an interim aircraft, something to replace the 707's and the DC-8's until the promised supersonic transports came along. They are still waiting....."

"........in the meantime, over 1,400 747's have been built (2000) in five distinct models......."

"......... Pan Am's Trippe kept stressing that the 707 did not provide enough seats to meet future travel demands, and he talked creating a double-deck subsonic airliner that would meet demands until the anticipated SST's were ready in the mid-1970's........"

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also:

www.historynet.com/jumbo-boeing-747.htm

(courtesy: Historynet.com)

www.boeing.com/history/products/747.page

(courtesy: Boeing.com)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Operators of the 747........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Boeing_747_operators
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This page on the history of BRANIFF* (gone nearly 40 years now!) features some classic jet photos, including an outstanding tarmac shot of a 747; the stylized "BI" insignia on the tails of the planes recalls the "TGA" insignia seen in "AIRPORT" (1970), which was very "mod" for that era, and, also, very much in style! Wink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braniff_International

*there is also a section here on the SST, including "interchange" operations which we have previously discussed here.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAN AM's infamous 747 N747PA (Flight #845), after repairs were made (following the 1971 incident), was leased to AIR ZAIRE between 1973 and 1975.

A flight crew of five was aboard when the accident occurred in 1971; thankfully, there were no fatalities.

After returning to PAN AM, the craft flew with the carrier until the iconic company folded in 1991.

Parts of the plane were shipped to South Korea, where it was used as a restaurant (see link in following post)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_Flight_845

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:18 am; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"FINDING THE CLIPPER-IN 2017"*........

https://airwaysmag.com/avgeek/finding-the-clipper-juan-trippe/

*EXCELLENT "search mission" (w/great photos!) Wink
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another interesting subject...retired airliner's that have been converted into bars, restaurants, even homes. I have dined in this one.....
https://chrisbaer.net/mp/2008/10/20/lost-restaurants-bj-strawberrys-on-the-convair/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver;

Yes, my friend, you have INDEED done it all!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked

It is funny that we got on this subject; in the early 1980's softcover Stephen Piercey books ("SKY TRUCK" and "SKY TRUCK 2") there are photos of old propliners converted into such "watering holes".

At Porto Christio (Balearic Islands) a DC-4 had been converted into a bar/restaurant known as "BAR D-3"; she was, sadly, destroyed by fire when a deranged customer set himself alight.

Outside of New Orleans, an L-049 Connie (on plinths) was part of the "CRASH LANDING" disco for some years; after the establishment closed, the Connie was taken down and scrapped.

In the Portuguese Algavare, an 1049 Connie was converted into the "SUPER G BAR & RESTUARANT" (this plane last flew during the Biafran Airlift), and featured a "drinking terrace" on her starboard wing, in landscaped surroundings!

The most bizarre use of a retired propliner was a cafeteria at Santo Domingo (adjacent to the Hotel Embarjador); this was the fuselage of a CARVAIR, with its engine cowlings mounted atop the fuselage, and her outer wing sections sticking up (vertically) from the ground; an Old Look body (sans engine compartment) was grafted into the fuselage!!!!!!Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Televangelist Kenneth Copeland, I've read, will not fly aboard a commercial airliner, because: "you are riding in a long tube filled with demons"(!!) Shocked Shocked (To be honest, I thought he was talking about the SUBWAY!) Shocked Shocked

Flying aboard his own lavish private "GULFSTREAM V" ("G-5"), I guess Mr. Copeland has now "vanquished" the "demons" and thinks he now "soars with the angels"....... Wink

(all kidding aside, this page gives us an interesting look at this sleek corporate/private craft)......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulfstream_V
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, recall ELVIS' "LISA MARIE", which was an ex-DELTA Convair 880....and John Travolta's 707 (I guess it DOES pay to have a few bucks in the bank!) Shocked Wink

'NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travolta's ex-QANTAS 707........

www.simpleflying.com/john-travolta-boeing-707-delayed
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:

Your 'neighbor' from Englewood, made good, eh? Smile
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:

Your 'neighbor' from Englewood, made good, eh? Smile

traildriver:

PERHAPS.....IF I had been a FRIEND of Mr. Travolta's, he MIGHT just have made me part of his flight crew....oh, shoot, I don't think simply having a New Jersey driver's license qualifies me for cockpit duty....oh, well! Rolling Eyes

Englewood is only about 15 minutes or so away; Teterboro, also.

This just made me think that I haven't heard any small planes heading to and from Teterboro in more than a week buzzing overhead (I usually hear a number of them each day and evening); commercial jet traffic, down quite a bit over my general area, seems to have petered out entirely....it's been a couple of weeks, at least, since I heard a "big jet" flying overhead.

Prior to the current pandemic, whenever the weather had been stormy/inclement, the New York-bound flights seemed to be using my street (which runs east-west) as a "flight path"; when the weather began to clear, I would see jet after jet after jet flying east flying overhead (pretty low, at that!) and be treated to both the sights and sounds of these jet-powered monsters (night viewing was especially dramatic!) Very Happy

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 30 of 39

Jump to: