BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

.....and leave the driving to us......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Personally, I always wondered why ice-water dispensers were not available on SCENICRUISERS or EAGLES......seems such a basic "frill"......... Question

"NYO"

When the coaches did have water faucets in the lavs, they always had a sign reading: "Do Not Drink This Water"...
Actually the water was "potable" or drinkable water, but the tanks were not maintained like the ones on railroad cars. So even though perfectly good drinking water was used to fill, there was the chance of various bacteria or other contaminants present.

The Trailways Five Star Luxury Service coaches did have drinking water aboard, served from a container by the hostess. Greyhound also had similar on its short lived "Bus Plus" service. I believe some of the ancient conventional coaches way back in the '20's and '30's might have had a drinking water container aboard, as well.

C&J Bus, which offers a deluxe 2 and 1 seating coach on their run between New Hampshire and The Port does not have a hostess, but they do have a self service minibar in the coach, which has a pod type coffee maker, and a fridge stocked with complimentary cold drinks including bottled water. They also have a basket full of snack packs.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Many thanks for this great info; this is something I was not at all familiar with....MOST interesting! Wink

As a kid, I recall the "water coolers" aboard some of the old E-L coaches, especially the ex-ERIE Stillwells.

I remember the paper "Dixie" cups that you would use to drink from; Mom always remembered that the water was icy-cold; I can also recall a sign reading "ICE WATER" above the fixture itself, and the paper cups being in a long tubular dispenser (I'm going back 55-60 years now!) Shocked

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Many thanks for this great info; this is something I was not at all familiar with....MOST interesting! Wink

As a kid, I recall the "water coolers" aboard some of the old E-L coaches, especially the ex-ERIE Stillwells.

I remember the paper "Dixie" cups that you would use to drink from; Mom always remembered that the water was icy-cold; I can also recall a sign reading "ICE WATER" above the fixture itself, and the paper cups being in a long tubular dispenser (I'm going back 55-60 years now!) Shocked

"NYO"

Most all railroad coaches had those type of ice water dispenser's..
But what was most unusual, were some that I saw on some PC train...
They were the full separate floor model, that you would see in public buildings, where you would hold down a button, or a foot pedal, and drink directly from an 'arc' of flowing water, without a cup! Imagine how much precious water those types wasted, especially if a lot of children were aboard. Shocked
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

VERY interesting....."Look Ma, no hands!" Shocked

On a related note, there is a photo in the wonderfully-dated 1954 children's book, "BIG CITY TRANSPORTATION" showing a young woman who had just purchased items from the food/drink vending machines aboard a modern PRR long-haul train.

The overhead sign above the aisle reads:

"AUTOMATIC BUFFET"

MILK/JUICES/COFFEE/CHOCOLATE DRINKS

CAKE/CANDY/ICE CREAM/SANDWICHES

(sure sounds like a good selection to me!) Wink

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

VERY interesting....."Look Ma, no hands!" Shocked

On a related note, there is a photo in the wonderfully-dated 1954 children's book, "BIG CITY TRANSPORTATION" showing a young woman who had just purchased items from the food/drink vending machines aboard a modern PRR long-haul train.

The overhead sign above the aisle reads:

"AUTOMATIC BUFFET"

MILK/JUICES/COFFEE/CHOCOLATE DRINKS

CAKE/CANDY/ICE CREAM/SANDWICHES

(sure sounds like a good selection to me!) Wink

"NYO"

Right...."Health Food"? Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: