BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University of Michigan Flxible Metro B's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RTS_04

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: University of Michigan Flxible Metro B's Reply with quote

I was headed to Ann Arbor for a meeting anyways, so I figured I'd make it worth my while to do some bus fanning. Scored a couple pics of AATA's D35- and D40LFs and their new Gillig Advantage BRT GM/Allison Hybrids. Missed snapping one of their Ford ELF's, though.

Arguably, the best find were these two. Someone tipped me off to U of M still having a couple Flexes hanging around, in spite of their fleet being all-Gillig (campus buses are 40' Advantages, although Medical Service shuttles are Bluebird school buses and E-Z Rider IIs). Took some scouring around in the shadow of Michigan Stadium, but I found 'em.

They're both 1991 40102s, but I don't know what they're powered by - my guess would be Detroit 6V-92TA, but Cummins is also a distinct possibility. The blue/grey/yellow tri-tone paint on both coaches is somewhat faded, but outside of some rust above the wheelwells, both are in remarkable shape. Interiors are clean and, with padded vinyl seating, apparently comfortable (so much so a cat was napping on the driver's seat of one).

I don't know if they're used any more; my guess is if they are, it's only for extremely crushed loads. I wouldn't be surprised to see these two disappear in the next few years, leaving Muskegon the only transit agency in Michigan running Flexes (could be wrong, but doubt it).

ralph kramden

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I just stumbled on this posting. To answer a few questions about our Flxibles; Yes ol' 755 and 751(just behind) are used only on occasion. We have 2 more at our Baxter Rd garage. All of our buses (even the Gilligs) are equipped with Cummins engines and Voith transmissions. The Flxibles are if you can believe it NON AIR CONDITIONED..........needless to say they get HOT in the summer time. How much longer they will be around depends on the Regents. We currently have a fleet of 43 coaches all 40x102 Gilligs Low Floor Advantages, and 15 Blue Bird buses and 4 Flxibles.

U-M's Campus Bus System carries 6M passengers per year and operates more than 100,000 hours of service per year on 13 routes. We are waiting for an additional 4 Gillig Low Floors (to retire the remaining Flxibles) and will probably be ordering several New Flyer Low Floor Articulated coaches soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: