BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The MCI D4500CT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q65A

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: The MCI D4500CT Reply with quote

From Larry Plachno's "The Curious Coachowner" column in the May 2007 issue of NBT:

"Effectively an outgrowth of the traditional MC1-12 series and the following A, B, and C models, the new 102DL3 was MCI’s first 45-foot coach. It was first shown in 1992 and went into regular production in 1993. A companion 40-foot model, known as the 102D3 and effectively replacing both the 'B' and 'C' models, went into production in 1994. At the turn of the century, these models were renamed the D4500 and D4000.
From 1995 through 2003, the 102DL3/D4500 was the most popular intercity model on the U.S. and Canadian market. The J4500 has held that position in following years.
MCI decided to offer an updated version of the traditional 'D' series coach. Introduced in early 2005 at the Motorcoach Expo in Las Vegas, these new models were designated as D4505 and D4005. Improvements included a new exterior by BMW Designworks, disc brakes, LED lights, and a full multiplex system. Private operators tended to order the new D4505, D4005, or the J4500. However, the traditional D4500 and D4000 models continued to be popular with the public service sector.
What has happened is that MCI is offering specific model packages geared to the needs of individual operators. For example, the traditional D4500 is now also known as the D4500CL with the 'CL' standing for 'Classic'.
The 'CT' in the new D4500CT model stands for 'Contemporary'. It is an option package that blends some of the esthetic exterior updates of the D4505 with many of the functional attributes of the traditional D4500CL. The CT version adds the revised lower front fascia, projector headlamps, and LED turn signals along with the frameless sash, disc brakes, and six-wheel ABS from the D4505 to the traditional D coach.
Michael Melaniphy from MCI says, 'This combination has been especially popular with both line-haul and commuter coach operators who want to combine the fresh look of the D4505 while retaining the full-size destination sign, rugged five-MPH front bumper, flexible rubber fenders and durable rubber lower rub rails.
'This is an especially good combination for those coaches operating in the rough-and tumble urban environment where minor bumps and scuffs are a more frequent occurrence.' Michael adds that these same features can be applied to the 40-foot D4000 model and to D-series coaches with fluted stainless steel lower panels."
GO Transit apparently has purchased the D4505CT.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: 'The Great 4500's' Reply with quote

Boy, MCI sure saw the 'brass ring' and grabbed on to it!

This 4500 series (in any configuration) has to be the most important statement made by a coach manufacturer since the GM PD 4104's and 6's!

And, operators nationwide have recognized them as a 'bellwether' in opulent transportation both in the public and private sectors!

The most impressive sight to me, as we drive down Fifth Avenue on a winter evening to meet our children for dinner, are the big 4500's of New York City Bus picking up their express commuters for the ride home.

As they pull out from the curb in the darkness with the street lights reflecting from their blackened windows combined with the gentle roar of their Diesel engines, you get this tingling feeling up and down your spine - like a stretched 747 about to take off!

Three thousand miles away the 4500's of The Golden Gate Transportation Authority (in livery not too dissimilar in color to that of Green Bus Lines) ply their route to downtown San Francisco running heavy with suburban fares (and you get that same 'rush' as they almost noiselessly glide by!).

These buses are amazing, and it's obvious that they're here to stay!

Let's raise our glasses to MCI!

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica & Arverne, New York
Q65A

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to that, Mr. L!
MCI is a very smart company that has a powerhouse grip on the public transit segment. I cannot envision any other firm seriously contending for the express bus business, except in the unlikely event that Gillig, NF, or Orion attempt building such a vehicle.
I too am amazed at how express bus equipment has evolved in NYC over the years. When Queens Transit and Steinway Transit started express bus service, they used Fishbowls (usually equipped with soft seats). ST ran their AM Generals on express service from Fresh Meadows and Glen Oaks.
I remember riding the QSC 700-series Fishbowls on the QM4 commuting to and from my summer job in Midtown. One afternoon, we drew QTC 2, which was a brand new RTS-03 (driven by "Choo Choo Bob, The Railroading Bus Driver", as the sign on the destination sign door proclaimed). Years later, single-door MCI Classics became the norm for QSC, GBL, CBC, LL, JBI, and NYBS. NYBS used to run GMC Buffaloes in express service, as did LL; seeing a Buffalo fitted with a commuter-style door was strange indeed. Nowadays, Cruisers are the norm (although once in a while I'll see a New Flyer Viking running out of CS on the X51 in Midtown). The Westchester Bee Line expresses draw 2-axle MCI's, which are pretty rare birds in their own right. I had the opportunity last year to sit behind the wheel of a brand-new D4500 at the MTAB Roadeo. What an impressive bus! The operator's position was commanding, although I'll nominate the Cruisers for having the largest number of switches of any TA/MTAB bus (especially the older 102DL3's, which lack the rotary master switch and therefore have more rocker switches than their newer counterparts at MTAB
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a nice post to read. As you pointed out it is a very commanding position indeed to sit behind the wheel of the big MCI cruiser. Oh and I must admit, it did take a couple of times to get acquainted with all those rocker switches.

Indeed a very nice bus to drive and also I'm still in awe of sitting behind the wheel and looking out from the side mirrors trying to find out where the end of the bus is! Smile
tovinman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: D4500CT Reply with quote

One thing that wasn't correct - the headlamps on the CT (which are merely the G4500 headlight pods) are NOT projector headlamps. I always thought this was a huge throwback when I saw it on the G4500 (though admittedly it was done for cost savings), but grafting it onto the D4500 instead of adapting the J4500 lower front (one prototype was done that way, it looked like a 1990 era Acura with round projector lamps instead of the rectangular units previously used) really cheapens the product, in my opinion.
tovinman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: GO Transit Reply with quote

I noticed one more error in the opening post - GO Transit's fleet are D4500CTs. The CT option was altered both in 2006 and 2007; the 2006 refit added the G4500 headlight pods (which are not, as I mentioned before, projector lamps, they are standard sealed beem cartridges). In 2007 MCI had to alter the cooling system to allow for higher cooling capacity on the 2007 EPA-compliant engines. MCI's changes resulted in a rear end appearance that I call the "Darth Vader" look, an interesting but relatively featureless appearance replacing the large full-width grill of earlier D4500CTs.

GO Transit has ordered the D4500 since 2002 and at this point has over 200 of the "stock" D4500 and nearly 150 of the D4500CT both with the older grille rear end and the newer "Darth Vader" rear end. The Darth Vader units debuted a new paint scheme of green "sweeps"; the earlier ones had a solid green belt line with a line graphic of the Toronto skyline on it.

The D4505 is not well suited to being a commuter coach as the J4500-style upper front cap displaces the upper windshield area of the D4500CT which has been modified to hold a standard two-line Luminator Horizon destination sign, a requirement for ADA funding approval in the US. D4505s do use a much smaller Luminator Horizon two-line display mounted directly over the drivers' station but these don't meet the ADA guidelines; I am thus not aware of any transit system that has taken delivery of the D4005/D4505.

GO Transit, NJ Transit, and Orange County, NY all recieved the D4500CT with the Darth Vader rear end in 2007. This is in fact now the standard rear end design for all D series coaches as all now have the 2007 EPA-compliant engines which include particulate traps and enlarged cooling systems, so you'll see it on any new D4005/D4505 series coaches as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: