BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many NYCTA Museum Buses can't run?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Transbustuser104

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: How many NYCTA Museum Buses can't run? Reply with quote

Question I was curious to find out which Vintage NYCTA buses have mechanical
problems that keep them from operating? For example I am aware that
the 1938 Fifth Av Coach Queen Mary #2124 has recently been towed to the 2005 NYC Transit Bus Fest. While the 1956 Mack Transit bus #6259
needs a new transmission. Just recently on the Buschat Message Board
someone posted that even former NYCTA 1963 GMC 5303 bus #3758 is sidelined again and on a lift. Only as recently as 2002 the 1948 GMC
5101 model Old Look model Jackie Gleason Bus #2969 was restored and running again. Would it take a long time as in years for NYC Transit to overhaul these disabled Museum Buses back to running condition?

Last edited by Transbustuser104 on Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transbuster104,

It may not take years to restore or repair the antiques, but it does take money and parts that may have to be hand machined because they are no longer available.

The Macks have an edge over the others in that Mack is still alive (making trucks anyway - in the same Allentown Plant from 1905!) and may even have a few vintage bus parts still hanging around in some dusty bins.

I'm almost certain that the MTA consults Mack in this regard even if the end result is futile.

Parts for the Yellow 'Queen Mary' #2124 would almost certainly have to be hand made - I don't think there are many if any 'Banker' Transmissions laying around!

The later model GM's are far easier to find parts for and shouldn't take too much time to repair.

Notice; because I have encountered a flurry of criticisms concerning the possibility of mis-stated facts in my writings on these boards, I insert the following disclaimer; I stand corrected on any statement made above.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Transbustuser104

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Status of NYCTA Museum Buses Reply with quote

Based on the the following Vintage NYCTA Buses that operated in passenger service last December on the Crosstown Manhattan Bus Routes
(1959 GMC 5301 bus #100, 1962 GM 5301 bus #2151, 1964 Flxible Bus
#5117, 1969 Flxible bus #4727, and 1974 Flxible New Look bus #7340),
all of these buses are in operating condition. I was just curious to find out
if the Vintage 1961 GM 5301 NYCTA bus #1059, and 1963 GMC 5303 model bus #3758 have been sidelined due to mechanical problems? Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: