BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hillside Ave. crash 1.6.2008

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Hillside Ave. crash 1.6.2008 Reply with quote

1010wins.com is reporting a head-on crash on Hillside Avenue, Jamaica, near 168th Place. Two men in a speeding car were killed when they hit a L.I. Bus. The broadcast report gave the time as 4:30 a.m. today, Sunday morning, January 6,2008. but there is no scheduled service on the N22 or N24 at that time. Also, the bus driver and a passenger were injured. Can anyone give further details?
Thanks.
Joe
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The website newsday.com now shows that the automobile crashed into L.I.Bus 462. A photo accompanies the AP story, which itself tells little. Location is at the corner with Crown Fried Chicken, 168-29 Hillside Avenue. I still think the story has the time (4 a.m.!) wrong.
caine824

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Accident Reply with quote

I'm assuming it had to be the N6 hawk. Shame about #462. I hope it gets replaced and repaired soon.
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I did not know that L.I. Bus N6 provided owl service, in this case with headways in the range of 45 or 55 minutes. A westbound was due into 168th St at 4:15 a.m. this morning and out at 4:45 a.m.
Joe
Q65A

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw photos of this accident on NewsChannel 4 this morning.
LIB 462 did not appear to have sustained a lot of front end damage, but the auto was totally wrecked.
As our late pal Hawk Operator 10 once had posted, "If you hit a bus, you lose."
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One report said the driver and a passenger went to the hospital. I hope they are doing well.
Joe
Pineywoodsbus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully 462 will be back on the road soon, that was our newest bus!
I wouldn't be suprised if it was drunk driving. The real victim in this is the bus driver, hopefully he will recover soon.
nycbusfan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to an article in the Newsday the driver has been released from the hospital.
pc2871

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope no passengers on that N6 bus are hurt by this idiot.
If I was the LI Bus driver, I would be more concerned about the safety and well being of the people I have on the bus than the occupants of the car that crashed into my bus. If the occupants on the bus are safe and well then I know I have did everything possible to ensure the safety of my passengers.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From all the latest reports, the old T-Bird was given to the 23 y/o driver by his parents. He and a 25 y/o friend was e/b on Hillside going home after attending a party. It is suspected that they were drag racing another car who fled the scene. Until an autopsy is performed, no one knows if the driver had any alcohol in his body.

It was also reported that they skidded on wet pavement, that had occured due to a light drizzle, and smacked sideways into the front of 426. Pictures uphold this contention. Based on the damage to the car, they had to be flying.

Based on the wreckage, if it weren't for the passenger side rear wheelcover (hubcap) still being on, you couldn't tell that it was a T-bird or its sister model, Cougar.

According to a post on another board, the driver for this run was AWOL forgetting, probably, that this was the start of the new pick. The driver who had this route on an earlier pick showed up by mistake. After waiting around for the new driver, LI Bus dispatched this fellow out with 426. This driver gets hurt and he wasn't even scheduled to be the driver.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's be fair and not jump to any conclusions about the motorist until further details are available.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: