BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RIP Joe Testagrose (he obviously liked NY buses!)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: RIP Joe Testagrose (he obviously liked NY buses!) Reply with quote

Fellows:

Sad to learn that such a fine and respected transit photographer has now departed to that big bus depot* in the sky.

Thinking back, I now realize just how many of the hundreds of vintage bus photos we have discussed here, over the years, were taken by this great photographer, who clearly KNEW how to take excellent transit photos.....

"NYO"

*Maybe Joe will get to meet up with the great Ralph Kramden himself, and take some photos of him with the ORIGINAL #2629! Wink
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever photos Mr. Testagrose did not take, but bear his name, were those he acquired (among them photos by the likes of Doug Grotjahn and Steve Zabel); his collection of old pics not snapped by him had to have been considerable. And not just with buses, but underground as well. In all aspects and realms we are indebted to this individual who just passed.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
Whatever photos Mr. Testagrose did not take, but bear his name, were those he acquired (among them photos by the likes of Doug Grotjahn and Steve Zabel); his collection of old pics not snapped by him had to have been considerable. And not just with buses, but underground as well. In all aspects and realms we are indebted to this individual who just passed.

W.B.:

Agreed 100%.

I cannot tell you how many vintage subway photos Joe took over the years (or that was in his collection) that I've not only used for research, but also, just to rekindle fond old memories of vintage subway equipment.

Sadly, the ranks of "old school" transit photographers/historians/enthusiasts grows thinner with each passing year.

I am now recalling the late Mr. Roger Acara; his book on the old NYW&B, which I purchased in the mid-70's, really fueled my interest in this now-obscure electric railroad, which saw its last train in 1937 (today's IRT Dyre Avenue line utilizes a portion of the old "Westchester" row, in the Bronx.

Mr. Acara was yet another of those old names that make an "old school" New York transit buff's ears perk up....

"NYO"
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear this news.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL:

Yes, we were all saddened (and surprised) by Joe's passing.

As the years fly by all to quickly, the ranks of "old school" transit photographers/historians dwindles even further.

Joe, certainly, has left us with countless bus and rapid transit photos that, already, have become invaluable research tools for so many of us.......

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: