BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NFI DE40LF(R) vs. Gillg Advantage/BRT Hybrid fuel economy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DE60LF

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: NFI DE40LF(R) vs. Gillg Advantage/BRT Hybrid fuel economy Reply with quote

I have previously made a thread about the ISL vs. ISB being used in hybrid buses.

Now, I would like to know if anyone has a comparison on the fuel economy of the New Flyer DE40LF(R) vs. the Gillig Advantage/BRT Hybrid. I could also include the Orion VII HEV in the comparison, however, since it uses the BAe HybriDrive series hybrid system rather than the Allison Transmission parallel hybrid system, the comparison may be skewed depending on uses.

The New Flyer DE40LF(R) uses a Cummins ISL engine, while the Gillig Advantage/BRT Hybrid uses the ISB. In my previous thread, I have heard that the New Flyer buses have a faster acceleration. However, how do they compare in terms of fuel economy? Is there a document somewhere that compares them? Unfortunately, I don't think there are any TAs that operate both models in conjunction.

ABQ RIDE was supposed to do a piggyback order for the Gillig Advantage hybrid buses, but it was rejected at the last minute by ABQ RIDE director Greg Payne. He prefered to buy buses the old-fashioned way by bids. New Flyer was the lowest bidder, so ABQ RIDE decided on the New Flyer DE40LFR with frameless windows. I have also read that some drivers test drove some demo buses that New Flyer and Gillig sent to test, and thought the controls for the Gillig bus was too complicated.

I have seen several of the new buses (that is, the new 700-series New Flyer DE40LFR buses) at ABQ RIDE's Luminaria Tour on Christmas Eve, along with the 300-series Neoplans. I did not see any of the old TMC RTS buses that are being retired.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: