BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Closed Door" express service
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject: "Closed Door" express service Reply with quote

Fellows:

Back in the days of the "indy" companies ("COMMAND, etc.) were any rush-hour lines designated "closed door" expresses?

The reason I ask this, is that prior to NJT, I well remember riding the ORANGE & BLACK (later MAPLEWOOD EQUIPMENT) "RIVER ROAD EXPRESS", a rush-hour only operation; these buses made local stops in both Fort Lee and Cliffside Park.

Once the last stop in Cliffside Park was made, the buses ran "closed door" all the way into the PABT.

At that time, there were TNJ and MANHATTAN LINES buses operating along Boulevard East (where the O&B buses also ran, after climbing up from River Road); so, it was obvious that those buses picked up passengers along this thoroughfare, while the O&B ran "closed door" into New York.

In later years, NJT re-numbered this route as the "159R"; now the buses no longer ran closed door (in either direction) and began picking up passengers at Port Imperitor and Lincoln Harbor.

This does not surprise me all all, as the areas along "old" River Road, (during the late O&B/MAPLEWOOD era) formerly a wasteland of abandoned piers, barges, factories, and weed-grown railroad tracks (only a few of the latter then still in use) have since been transformed into miles of condos, townhouses, and offices, as well as new access roads.

River Road has been greatly widened, and now looks like a super-highway, in comparison to that I recall 40 years ago.

So, my question is this: did any of the old "indy" companies (those later taken over by the MTA) ever run "closed door" expresses?

Thanks in advance for any input.....

"NYO"
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember taking the express buses that ran in NYC some 45 years ago. They made some pickups on Third or Sixth Avenues. They then went express to Queens and only made designated drop-offs to the end of the route. I assume that this pattern is still in existence.

Is this what you are asking about?
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
I remember taking the express buses that ran in NYC some 45 years ago. They made some pickups on Third or Sixth Avenues. They then went express to Queens and only made designated drop-offs to the end of the route. I assume that this pattern is still in existence.

Is this what you are asking about?

Hart Bus:

Yes, this is the type of information I had in mind, for starters.

I had been wondering if any of the old "indy" companies such as COMMAND, NEW YORK BUS SERVICE, etc., once operated "closed door" express services.

Thanks for your info; this also reminds me of the "super express" trains on the subways, decades ago.

Recall, also, the short-lived "NX" trains (late 1960's), which made limited stops along the former BMT.......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the intercity bus operation, the term "closed door" had a slightly different meaning...

When a new highway opened up along a local route that was exclusively franchised to one particular carrier; a competing carrier that had local rights along a parallel route would often file for "closed door" rights along the new highway, for operating convenience only, and not be allowed to pick up or discharge at the intermediate points.

One example of this is Interstate 80 across Pennsylvania. When it was almost completed, Continental Trailways purchased Edwards Lakes-To-Sea (EMT), which served US 322 and other local highways more or less parallel to the new road, thinking they could run thru New York- Cleveland buses that shorter and toll free route, and that advantage.

Much to their chagrin, when the road was completed, Greyhound Lines filed for express 'closed-door' operation for operating convenience, making only rest stops, no local traffic, and won approval.
The towns along the route provided very little thru traffic, and going into and out of even a couple of them proved to take too long, so Trailways never gained much from their purchase, while Greyhound was running multi-section expresses.

As for MTA Bus Company expresses, and their predecessor's....
My local company, Queens Transit was one of the early adopter's of these...
They would run along QT territory, and then go 'closed doors' past other carrier's territories on their express trips into Manhattan.
And they even went after business along other carrier's
territories, since the NYCTA was slow to emulate them...
That is why Queens Transit got to run along Union Turnpike, in TA Q46 territory to then run express to Manhattan.

Another early example of ''closed-doors" might be for the old Jamaica Buses route from Jamaica to Rockaway, cutting across the little slice of Nassau County separating Rockaway from the rest of Queens. The Jamaica route allowed no local traffic within Rockaway, and not even a stop in Nassau.
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about all those MTA express buses from Staten Island to Manhattan, going strictly 'closed doors' across New Jersey...

The only local stops in New Jersey is that one MTA bus from St. George to the light rail station in Bayonne...probably can't carry wholly within Bayonne...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
How about all those MTA express buses from Staten Island to Manhattan, going strictly 'closed doors' across New Jersey...

The only local stops in New Jersey is that one MTA bus from St. George to the light rail station in Bayonne...probably can't carry wholly within Bayonne...

traildriver;

As always, greatly appreciate your input....always something new to learn! Wink

I am also now recalling DOMENICO's commuter service, many years back, also, the "99S"

I was also just looking at a time-worn, somewhat tattered 1964 "WESTWOOD TRANSPORTATION" ("The Blue Coach") TT, and noticed what appear to be "closed door" rush hour runs between Rt. 46 & Main St. (Ridgefield) and the PABT.

These runs bypass Morsemere, Fort Lee, Nungessers (Fairview) North Bergen, West New York, and Weehawken.

One of the notes on the inside cover states that the "Blue Buses":

".....take only 20 minutes from from the NJ Turnpike entrance to New York....."

On a somewhat related note, recall, too, GREYHOUND's new "TURNPIKE EXPRESS" service, which started up in the late 1950's (using SCENICRUISERS)

The buses in this route stopped only three times to switch drivers and allowed passengers four rest stops (including a supper break) between New York and Chicago.

This run was scheduled to take 17 hours and 55 minutes, and never left the toll roads en route.

This was, interestingly, one of the very first express services offered by GREYHOUND......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recalling the long-gone days of DOMENICO's commuter runs to Staten Island (check out that COOL sedan door!)..........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2296

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2292

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in the mood to be "EXPRESS-ing" early Christmas/Holiday wishes, NYBS-style..........Wink

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1542

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note ex-ORANGE & BLACK (first generation) Fishbowl #813 sporting a "RIVER ROAD EXPRESS" sign; I rode this line many, many times over the years, especially during the summer-long PATH strike of 1980.

Also, note the ex-INTER-CITY coach on the right.

I've lived only about a 15-minute walk from the old O&B garage (now NJT) ever since 1974, so I have a lot of memories of classic scenes like this, as you might expect........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3410

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battery Pl. & Greenwich, 1981.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?581

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

......no need to wonder if TRIBORO's #3000 was running on an "EXPRESS" route........ Wink

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3363

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

59th St. & 2nd Avenue, 1981......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2254

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lexington & 34th, 1980.

Talk about a "CLASSIC" meet!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?419

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOVE those BOLD and beautiful STEINWAY roller curtains........ Wink

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?420

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?413

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pelham Parkway Express, 1975.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1546

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: