BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Now it's time to say good-bye...to the faithful RTS.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO...yes, I recall those radio's...in fact, I still have one of those "sound-tube" type headphones (worked like a stethoscope) that they distributed to passenger's, in its sealed plastic pouch buried in my "archives".
Most of the coaches were SGL 5,000 series in the Northeast or Midwest to Florida runs. When they started up the "XL Executive Limited's", they renumbered them into CGL 12 or 1,300 series for those dedicated runs. They even lettered the sides of those coaches so designated for those services...

The last time I enjoyed them, was in around 1973 on a KC-St.L nonstop...
They pulled in stations very well, but it was fun to search for new ones as you traveled along, as well as keeping up with news, weather, and sports...something you lack when listening to recorded programs...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Those old headphones are indeed a RARE relic of the "Glory Glamour Days Of The Hound"'....... LUCKY man!!!!! Very Happy

Sure hope at some point, you got to a chance to listen to that timeless, classic "SEVENTY-SEVVEENNN DOUBLEYA-AAAAAYYYYBEEEESEEEEEE!" jingle en-route to wherever, via GREYHOUND! Wink

Regarding the the RTS radios, it would indeed be interesting to see if any of those virtually unheard of radios have survived until the present day; an RTS radio would, most certainly, HAVE to be a VERY rare bus collectible today! (especially the ever more rare AF-FM stereo jobs!) Shocked

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding RTS signs........

Like GRUMMANS/METROS, I never cared for the "flip dot" (or whatever the heck you call these newfangled signs!) on the RTS.

Though, in every respect, the RTS was....and IS....a true classic, I've always felt that the electronic signs just didn't "mesh"with the overall design (as was also the case with the two aforementioned buses)

When one looks at early RTS photos, the roller curtains are bold and easy to read; plus, I feel, there was far more to get out of order when roll signs were replaced with electronic signage.

Back during my long-gone commuting days, NOT ONE of the ACADEMY drivers I knew had anything positive to say when the HUGE roller signs were replaced with electronics.

They absolutely HATED to have to use a keypad to punch in the code required for the route desired; too many times to count, early in the AM, Your's Truly (the first passenger to board at the Nungessers end of the rush-hour "BOULEVARD EAST" line) would be outside in front of the bus, signalling to the frustrated driver to let him know when he had the proper reading displayed (NO WONDER these great guys let me ride for free every morning!) Very Happy

Ahhh, progress....... Rolling Eyes

No matter, if the RTS was still in service in my area, I could care less about what type of signage it used......I'd just be happy as all heck to just climb aboard for a ride! Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where have four decades fled to??

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?744

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Regarding RTS signs........

Like GRUMMANS/METROS, I never cared for the "flip dot" (or whatever the heck you call these newfangled signs!) on the RTS.

Though, in every respect, the RTS was....and IS....a true classic, I've always felt that the electronic signs just didn't "mesh"with the overall design (as was also the case with the two aforementioned buses)

When one looks at early RTS photos, the roller curtains are bold and easy to read; plus, I feel, there was far more to get out of order when roll signs were replaced with electronic signage.

Back during my long-gone commuting days, NOT ONE of the ACADEMY drivers I knew had anything positive to say when the HUGE roller signs were replaced with electronics.

They absolutely HATED to have to use a keypad to punch in the code required for the route desired; too many times to count, early in the AM, Your's Truly (the first passenger to board at the Nungessers end of the rush-hour "BOULEVARD EAST" line) would be outside in front of the bus, signalling to the frustrated driver to let him know when he had the proper reading displayed (NO WONDER these great guys let me ride for free every morning!) Very Happy

Ahhh, progress....... Rolling Eyes

No matter, if the RTS was still in service in my area, I could care less about what type of signage it used......I'd just be happy as all heck to just climb aboard for a ride! Wink

My perspective, as I may've indicated before, is different; regarding the TA and OA RTS's, I more leaned towards the Luminator 'flip dots' over TransDot's. It did seem there was a different class for each electronic destination sign; those with the 'TransDot's' had a T8W- prefix, the 'Luminators' had T8J-. The same Luminator signs as on the TA / OA RTS's, were on quite a few early '80's NJT express buses made by MCI. They seemed to move left to right one character for every Hz (meaning, it took a quarter of a second in a 60 Hz setup), which I more leaned towards.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Your comments are quite interesting; though, of course, I know now there are different types of "electronic" signage used aboard buses, it just seems all the same to me.

I guess I'm just an old "purist" who prefers roller curtains. Wink

There is one very amusing old memory I have regarding a GRUMMAN/METRO running on the old NHBL #1, more years ago than I care to count.

The side sign went on the blink, and, for whatever reason, was never repaired; it remained in this state until the bus was retired.

This (quite!) obviously OOS sign displayed (instead of the correct reading "#1 JOURNAL SQUARE") "#1 JOURNAJOURNA"!

"JOURNAJOURNA" sounded like the name of some far-off Pacific island, from some old Bob Hope/Bing Crosby/Dorothy LaMour "road trip" flick! Shocked

To this very day, I can STILL see that sign in my mind today!

Even though, as I said, I never cared at all for the "electronic" signs, I still find descriptions such as yours quite interesting.......compared to the old roller curtains, such signage was indeed "Star Wars", to say the least......... Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RTS in New Jersey........

I still wonder why NJT never purchased RTS buses early on, as many other companies did (including the MTA, GREEN BUS, etc,)

NJT went in heavily for the METRO (which I always liked); but, here in NJ, it was not until about late 1997/1998 that NJT began purchasing RTS coaches.

None of the Jersey City-area "indy" companies had them until many years later (NABIs now do the job)

I had (then) recently ridden on a few up in Boston, and enjoyed the experience immensely right from the get-go; and, of course, I was happy when ACADEMY began using them (I was especially fond of the ex-MTA buses!) Very Happy

The only RTS units used by ACADEMY that I was not fond of were the ex-DART buses; the buses were poor performers and the wheelchair lifts forever were malfunctioning.

The a/c aboard these particular buses left lots to be desired....'nuff said.

I DO remember ACADEMY (for whatever reason) using an RTS that was being used as an "EMPLOYEE BUS" on certain PM Boulevard East runs out of Hoboken (this was back in the 90's; I think there must have been an equipment shortage at that time.....but, surely, with ACADEMY's lot only about 16 blocks away from the terminal, a better "sub" bus could have been found, IMHO)

We always seemed to get this bus (LATE, as well!) on the HOTTEST day of the summer; there was far less seating in this bus, and the a/c (IF there was any at all) never worked.Sad

Regardless....as I look back today, I'm glad I had the experience.......I still miss the RTS, and always will.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTS action courtesy of STEINWAY, forty years ago.

At the time these photos were snapped, I doubt that the photographer was thinking of a far-off time in the future, when these sleek new buses he was taking pictures of would be regarded as "classics"...........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?399

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?400

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?402

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that the RTS ended in New York only a few months back, this undated photo of a disabled COMMAND RTS (CNG) seems most appropriate........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3358

*I've always found that CNG-powered RTS buses were interesting-looking vehicles (I recall TRIBORO and COMMAND once operated them)

The COMMAND and TRIBORO buses were quite distinctive with their bulging rooftop tanks; Ethanol was another fuel that TMC experimented with.

Fourteen RTS buses running for the people's Mass Transit District in Illinois converted the Detroit Diesel motors to run on the corn-based fuel.

Methanol has a tendency to eat through metal; this (not surprisingly) proved to be quite a headache in Los Angeles, where 322 T80-206's (purchased in 1992 and 1993) equipped with methanol-fueled 6V-92TA's.

These motors, not surprisingly, burned the bridge between LA and TMC.

Both TMC and LA placed the blame with these engines on each other; Los Angeles ended up going ahead and re-powering these buses with conventional diesel systems.........

"NYO"

(source: "RAPID TRANSIT SERIES BUSES" (McCausland)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BEE LINE memories.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3763

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3766

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought this might be of interest.....

https://www.osti.gov/biblio/829622

("COMPARISON OF CLEAN DIESEL BUSES TO CNG BUSES")
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought.....

Now that the RTS has now pretty much been relegated to history; I am wondering if they will be more appreciated now than they might have been while still in service, by some enthusiasts.

Sure, we loved the Old Looks and new Looks, even the lowly, boxy GRUMMAN/METRO eventually became a bus that many of us (Your's Truly included) came to like.

Though I always liked the RTS, it was not a bus I gave all that much thought to, until the twilight years.

Today, thanks to Mr. McCausland's outstanding, fascinating, and exhaustive "RAPID TRANSIT SERIES BUSES", I am really coming to fully appreciate just how much of a great bus the RTS truly was.

The RTS story is, indeed, one that is both highly informative and of tremendous interest.

Just like the earlier Old Looks and Fishbowls, the RTS coaches were not "cookie-cutter" buses, by any means.

Read Mr. McCausland's book and you will soon this lesson for yourself......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never drove the RTS, but from a passenger perspective, I never liked them.
I felt claustrophobic in the rear, there were at least 7 fewer seats than in the New Look's depending on configuration...
The only thing I liked really, was the exterior styling...
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
W.B.:

Your comments are quite interesting; though, of course, I know now there are different types of "electronic" signage used aboard buses, it just seems all the same to me.

I guess I'm just an old "purist" who prefers roller curtains. Wink

Funny, considering that there are as many variants of electronic signage as there have been with the "old style" roller curtains, whether cloth or mylar. And with me, there is as much preference with the "electronic" type as with the "old style," in terms of companies that made them.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Until you began posting "in depth" insight regarding the electronic signs, I truly thought that most were, for all practical purposes, of the "cookie cutter" variety

Thanks to your wealth of knowledge, I see that this is, most certainly, NOT the case!

"NYO"

BTW:

A few quick questions:

1: Did the MTA ever experiment with electronic signs in the GMC or Flex New Looks?

2: How many "variations" of electronic signage has the MTA used over the years, up to (and including) the present day?

3: What type of electronic signs do NJT's fleet use?

4: (this one's a bit off topic): When will NJT's new NEW FLYER artics start entering service; I know these will be replacing the NEOPLANS, which are now about 15 years old.

Also, what "conventional" buses will be replacing the NABI's, which, like the NEOPLANS, are to be retired in the not too distant future....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 13 of 31

Jump to: