BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Now that the RTS is history.....what might be the new "
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15 wrote:
BTW, Somerset Bus Company acquired nine SDH-5302 in 1965. These buses were ex-Greyhound, New York World's Fair.

Thanks for this heads-up; I was ALMOST certain that SOMERSET did operate some ex-GREYHOUND World's Fair buses, but this information confirms it....thanks! Wink

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
W.B.:

Thanks for sharing this info; 65 years IS indeed a lifetime!

IMHO, I have long that that the 1956 C-49's could have lasted in service longer than they did; after all, they were little more than a decade old when they were retired, not all that old for a transit bus.

Ditto the TDH-5106's that were delivered to ST in 1959; the very last Old Looks in my general area did not vanish until 1986, and were roughly 30 years old when they were finally retired.

I am sure New York's Old Looks (at least the newest models) could have lasted far longer in service, had "Tee-Yay" brass decided to hold onto them for even several more years.

The ex-ST 5106's were always my favorite New York Old Look; those distinctive destination sign box housings (fluorescent lit!) really set them off nicely!)

Yep, back in the day, we truly had classics in our midst on a daily basis......

The ST 5106's (3020-3059, later renumbered 3291 and 3221-3259) were ordered concurrent to the last 50 of FACL's 5106's (2645-2694) which, with the first 40 in that bunch (2605-2644 from '58 ), also had those front sign boxes with fluorescent lights. 3020-3059 and 2645-2694 also had the distinction of being the last TDH-5106's ever built. Here, below, is one of the FACL 5106's, 2619:

Same sign box in front.

After that GM concentrated on their 'New Looks'.

As for the Macks, it amazes me that the 'Tee-Yay's' 6000's from 1956 lasted longer than the ST lot, by some two years.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B."

Now THAT is what I call a BUS!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy

GREAT portrait of my all-time favorite "Noo Yawk" Old Look! Wink

By the time the last MACKS ran for the "Tee-Yay", the last MACKS in my area also vanished.

The ones that ran by our old apartment building in Union City (North Hudson Boulevard Lines) were gone by the summer of 1968, if my memory is correct (this company, through a good chunk of the 60's, also operated several models of Old Looks, two models of WHITES, and two models of MACKS.....ALWAYS a great show for Your's Truly as a lad!)

Fishbowls began to replace the WHITES around late 1966; once the WHITES were gone, then the MACKS were poised for extinction.

It was not until the 1986 that the very last NHBL Old Looks (there were only a few left by this time) vanished from the #1 LOCAL (JSQ-NUNGESSERS)

Man, talk about "paradise lost"........... Crying or Very sad

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Tee-Yay" MACKS I knew best as a youngster were those assigned to Staten Island routes out of St. George; for a good chunk of the 60's, I can remember only Old looks and MACKS when Mom and I went to Staten Island on one of our many day trips.

I still remember my first Staten Island bus ride, back in '62....it was aboard a MACK........ Very Happy

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a fantrip to SI, also in the early '60's. Rode the SIRT to Tottenville, than back to St. George on the Hylan Blvd. bus. That was a long ride, in a Mack...
IIRC, they did not have air-ride like the GM's, and delivered a rather hard ride in comparison....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
I did a fantrip to SI, also in the early '60's. Rode the SIRT to Tottenville, than back to St. George on the Hylan Blvd. bus. That was a long ride, in a Mack...
IIRC, they did not have air-ride like the GM's, and delivered a rather hard ride in comparison....

traildriver:

Your mention of "air-ride" reminds me of two old ex-Yonkers MACKS that were being used as storage sheds by the BLUE & WHITE company in North Bergen; these OOS buses were also used as parts donors for the company's several "New Look" MACKS (also ex-Yonkers)

Beneath the rear windows of these two retired relics (engine compartments on both had been cut away) was "RIDE ON AIR" in big letters.

I took a number of photos at the old B&W lot on Tonnelle Avenue back in 1974 one Saturday; there was also a NHBL Old Look there being serviced that day, as well as one of the WASHINGTON ST. (Hoboken) Old Looks.

At that time (1974) these few remaining MACKS were the very last running in the area; the last MACKS in my general area vanished about 1968.

Don't ask me why, but I never got around to riding one of those stunning (and well-groomed) New Look MACKS....... Sad

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one of BLUE & WHITES's handsome "New Look" MACKS on a fan trip excursion in the Big Apple, back in 1973.

What a stunning museum bus this would make today, in ANY collection! Shocked

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?145

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?148

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A battered (but still mighty fine!) SHBL Old Look (#B-8 ) seen here on what was obviously a fan trip/charter at Clifton (SI), nearly a half-century ago.

Note the stairway in the background leading up to the SIRT station (the old ME-1's were still running, then!); also, note the side wheel ferryboat on the "STATEN ISLAND SAVINGS BANK" billboard above the bus.

Also, note the other billboard (near the SIRT station) still using an old telephone exchange; such exchanges were, for the most part, pretty much relegated to the past when this photo was taken.

So much nostalgia. here..........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?665

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a wonderfully nostalgic portrait of YONKERS TRANSIT New Look MACK #163, dating back to 1964.

This handsome-looking bus might have been one of the buses that later was sold to "BLUE & WHITE" (note the Old Look heading in the opposite direction, and check out that sharp, super-cool '55 Chevy on the right!)

Had this photo been taken on the corner of 13th St. and Hudson Boulevard in Union City, that young lad standing by the bus easily could have been Your's Truly........ Wink

Ahhh, the good ol' days...... Very Happy

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2951

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brief note on MACK air suspension:

Air suspension was introduced as an option in 1955 as an option on the model C-49.

(Also, it is worth mentioning the modernistic, eye-catching, one-of-a-kind experimental MACK, the ADS-1, which was displayed at the American Transit Convention at St. Louis in 1956. This was MACK's last new bus design, and was known as the "Dream Bus" and "The Bus Of Tomorrow". The futuristic-looking bus never made it into production, and eventually was sold to the Schenectady Street Railway. Sadly, it was later destroyed in a garage fire.)

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have long since dubbed this MACK (HEMPSTEAD BUS) a "BRILLMACK".

It might be just me, but the windows remind me somewhat of those used on an ACF-BRILL.

A HANDSOME bus, nonetheless........ Wink

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?632

MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a Mack C-47DT one of two demos acquired in 1960. These two, serial numbers 1342-1333 had Firestone air suspension, 96” wide and were fleet numbers 401, 403.

Fleet number 402 was a Mack C-49DT, serial number 2236 acquired in 1960 and it was 102” wide with air suspension manufactured by General Tire. It also had the Mack new look front end.
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of trivia regarding the Greyhound World’s Fair TDH-5303 buses... they had jack knife rear doors; air operated parking brakes mounted on a tower to the right of the driver and slightly behind the transmission lever; and an unusual destination sign arrangement - 1/4 had the fare or route; 3/4 was the destination.

When Triboro acquired the buses they installed 50/50 destination signs. The turning knobs were placed side by side on the destination sign cover door. But two perfectly round holes were visible where the original “Hound” knobs were located.

BTW, some if not most of MaBSTOA’s 6000 series buses had the air operated parking brake as well.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15:

Again, greatly appreciate your input and data; always something of great interest!

MACKS were quite commonplace in my neck of the woods, back in the 60's.

They were part of the diverse NHBL fleet (which also encompassed GMC's an WHITES);

CENTRAL AVENUE also once rostered some MACKS (I remember riding these down to the old CRRNJ ferry terminal in Jersey City); LAFAYETTE & GREENVILLE also had some MACKS on the roster.

If memory serves me correctly, they (NHBL) rosteredC37/47's and a few C50's.

I also well remember the MACKS that were operated by ORANGE & BLACK.

I only wish I had known about the MACKS that were still running on the AVE. B & E. BROADWAY in the mid-70's; I would have SPED across the Hudson to ride and photograph these old warhorses! Very Happy

As the "AVE. B" MACKS were the last to operate in New York, so were the "BLUE & WHITE's" New Look MACKS the last to operate in New Jersey. (at least, I was able to take some photos!) Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A COMMANDING PRESENCE"......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?34

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 6 of 14

Jump to: