BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NYCTA 4507's to NJ's "MOUNTAIN COACHES"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:19 am    Post subject: NYCTA 4507's to NJ's "MOUNTAIN COACHES" Reply with quote

In an old 1970's issue of "MOTOR COACH AGE" (this issue was on the history of DE CAMP), there is a photo of an ex-NYCTA 4507 ( new number #78 ), as owned by MOUNTAIN COACHES (an affiliate of "TRACKLESS TRANSIT")

According to the article, the buses were a "hastily-aquired" fleet of ex-NYCTA 4507's, purchased for service on the #144 (Newark-Caldwell)

These buses were rebuilt with mechanical shift, no center doors, and suburban seating.

The article also says that these particular buses (purchased from the "Tee-Yay" in the late 1950's) ran for some years before being eventually replaced with New Look suburbans (the first were SDM-5301's)

Any information on these second-hand 4507's while they were still operating in New York?

Appreciate any input......

"NYO"

*I knew the #144 well from 1971 through 1975; by that late, all buses were New Looks.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to find out just how long these ex-NYCTA 4507's operated on the #144 for MOUNTAIN COACHES; the earliest New Looks were three SDM-5301's, painted in a green scheme similar to what PS was then using on its new Fishbowl transits.

PS also began repainting the Old Look transits in two-tone green at this time.

Regarding "MOUNTAIN COACHES" earliest Fishbowls, it is interesting to note that some had mechanical transmissions, while others were equipped with hydraulic; the buses had various types of seating arrangements, and some buses had rear doors while others did not.

Interestingly, ownership was divided among five corporations.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another "pondering", regarding these second-hand 4507's:

Am now wondering if these buses were the only ones sold as a group by the "Tee-Yay", or, at some other time, or were there others, sold to a private operator(s)...........

"NYO"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned awhile back that the TA did not sell used buses because the thought was that since the buses could still be used, therefore, the city could continue to operate them. Several would be held in reserved while the rest would be scrapped.

However, as evident by these TDH-4507s, the city did sell used buses.

Regarding your last question let me say that the TA sold the following buses:

Mack model C-45DT
11 sold to Avenue B and East Broadway, 1959-1961

GM model TDH-4507
14 to Triboro Coach, 1959, 1961
1 to Jamaica Buses, 1963 (ex Surface Transit)
1 to Green Bus Lines, 1968
12 to Trackless Transit, 1958
1 to Will Morris, 1959
2 to Martucci Bus, 1958

GM model TDH-4510
2 to Triboro Coach, 1968

GM model TDH-5101
3 to Triboro Coach, 1968

Mr. Linksy, in one of his many posts, made reference that buses sold by agencies had to be reported to the Public Service Commission and list the buyers.

I would like to follow up on this since I want to compile a list of buyers. I've been told that some Mack C-50 and TDH-5101, ex-NYCTA, were sold to Cuba after the Embargo!
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, six ex-Miami Transit Mack C-50DT were acquired by Orange and Black Bus Lines in 1955.

They had their rear doors replaced with a passenger window and standee window plus roof marker lights.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15 wrote:
BTW, six ex-Miami Transit Mack C-50DT were acquired by Orange and Black Bus Lines in 1955.

They had their rear doors replaced with a passenger window and standee window plus roof marker lights.

MabSTOA 15:

I clearly remember the old ORANGE & BLACK Macks! (I had NO idea that any of their buses were second-hand from Miami!)

Before she married, my godmother commuted into the city from 1956 through the early 1960's, traveling via the O&B.

A number of times, she took me for rides on them; there is STILL something about a MACK that never fails to get my attention!

In the 1954 children's book, "BIG CITY TRANSPORTATION" there is a photo of an O&B Mack loading passengers at the PABT; above the windows, "CLIFFSIDE PARK-NEW YORK" is prominently displayed.

Under the windows, the names of the towns served are emblazoned in a stripe running the length of the bus.

I clearly recall the stylish and distinctive "ORANGE & BLACK" script over the windows when I was growing up, and even well into the 1970's; their Old Look fleet was particularly handsome and smart-looking (I took a number of photos of the Old Looks at the Fairview garage, back in the late summer of 1974.

At that time, I recall the Old Looks were relegated to the yard in the rear of the garage, while the New Looks were parked out front.

Also, thank you for your excellent (and interesting!) information regarding second-hand NYCTA buses; I remember our good, late friend and resident Bus Expert Par Excellence, Mr. Linsky, long ago, commented on a photo I had posted of a LAFAYETTE & GREENVILLE Old Look that he thought was an ex-NYCTA bus.

Also, thank you for the information on the buses that were sold to TRACKLESS TRANSIT (MOUNTAIN COACHES)

I knew the #144 line very well from 1971 through 1975, but, by that late date, the fleet was all New looks (I'm NOT complaining, here, though, mind you!)........ Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

Here is the old photo (which I mentioned previously) showing the LAFAYETTE & GREENVILLE Old Look (clearly OOS when this 1979 photo was taken) that Mr. Linsky said (or thought) was/might have been an ex-NYCTA bus......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?690

(the following 1970's photo shows a L&G Old Look in service):

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?691

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While on the subject of second-hand buses, until about 1997, an ex-WAMATA FLXIBLE New Look was operating on the (former NHBL) #1 (JSQ-NUNGESSERS)

I'm wagering that this might have been one of the WAMATA buses that came north to "pinch hit" when the GRUMMMANS were literally dropping in their tracks.

This bus had deep bucket seats (in pretty good condition, btw!) and was still using an ancient ex-NHBL Johnson fare box!

I rode that classic each workday morning for quite awhile until it finally vanished.....sadly, I never thought to take a photo........ Sad

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did a bit of "time travel research" through our archives, here.......

In going back to an OLD thread of mine about second-hand buses (Baltimore) I posted that, during the 1950's, the BTC (Baltimore) purchased a number of Old Looks from several properties, including Knoxville, Augusta, and Buffalo.

Our good and highly-knowledgeable friend (may he rest) Mr. Linsky stated that many of TRENTON TRANSIT's Old Looks were eventually scattered along the East Coast, and that TRIBORO also received a few.

He also said that the photo of the OOS L&G Old Look (taken in 1979), which I posted the link to last evening, was indeed one showing an ex-"Tee-Yay" bus...........

"NYO"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first photo of the Lafayette-Greenville bus is an ex-TA TDH-5106. You can see the round speaker by the front door when these buses received two-way radio and PA system.

The second is a TDH-4512 and it looks 99% ex-Public Service. Note the lack of GM chrome wings on the front as these were replaced by the PS wings. Also, the last two opening windows have the safety bat across the bottom of the window, a PS trademark.
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two Flxible, 53102-6-1, ex-TA/OA (in the 7000 series) buses that were sold as used buses to the U.S. Postal Service to drive mail carriers to different mail pick points throughout New York City.

s-l1600 (27).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.63 KB
 Viewed:  20089 Time(s)

s-l1600 (27).jpg

s-l1600 (46).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.88 KB
 Viewed:  20089 Time(s)

s-l1600 (46).jpg

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15:

Appreciate your input, as always....thanks! Very Happy

Those USPS Flexies are HOOT; danged if that paint scheme doesn't shout WAMATA!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked

Speaking of ex-PS buses, several operated on the privately-owned WASHINGTON ST. line (now defunct) in Hoboken (this company was long known for rostering elderly second-hand antiques!)

One bus (30-X) was still in operation into the 80's, and STILL sported its 1960's PS green paint!!!

Growing up, just up the block from us, PS operated two local lines (the #16 and the #17) using those same two-tone green Old Looks....

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two views of an ex-PSNJ Old Look at the Hudson Place terminal in Hoboken; note that the bus is still in the 1960's PS two-tone green.

I still have a tape recording that I made aboard one of these old relics, that I made back in 1977.....ahhh, the memories! Very Happy

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?637

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?639

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another second-hand Old Look running on the now-defunct WASHINGTON STREET line in Hoboken; I remember, long ago, Mr. "L" telling me that this bus was from a New York area-operator, but I cannot recall now what company this was.

This was another bus I rode many times, in my much younger years......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?638

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?640

MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to your postings about New Jersey i pulled out an old VHS tape entitled "Metro NY-NJ Area Bus Operations, 1930-1970" it is in black-and-white and color. Produced by Roger Arcara.

The quality is not the best but it has some great scenes of bus action in Queens (Main Street - Queens Transit), Brooklyn, Manhattan (mostly "OA" - including Leyland double-decker), Dixie Hotel and open lot Times Square terminals before Port Authority, Westchester Street Transportation, and lots of Jersey buses... Journal Square, Downtown Bus, Orange and Black, Inter City, and the independents...

Great memories and nostalgia!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: