BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dateline: 1969 (also, other assorted vintage scenes)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
Quote:

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?116638

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)

Is that an Avenue B and East Broadway Mack circling the small island at the tip of City Hall Park? I think the TARS car is a sand car, to load sand into a box near the starting point of route T. Motormen were responsible for filling the sandboxes in their cars, to allow for grip on wet or icy rails. I think pressing down on the brake handle dropped sand above the brake shoes.
By the way, that is not trolley car! No trolley poles on this route. Call it a street car or a work car, powered from the conduit.
---
The last time I was here was for a Yankees victory parade.

Joe:

It is strange, how, in some locales, the term "streetcar" was more wildly used (New Orleans is a prime example), while others used either "trolley" or "trolley car".

Speaking of conduits (London's trams used them in certain areas of the system until 1952, and DC's system used conduits until 1962) B&QT's Park Row loops were indeed an exception to the "no overhead wires" rule in Manhattan.

Ditto B&QT's underground streetcar terminal at Delancey St., which closed in the late 1940's...........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
This 1963 photo is from earlier in this discussion; it would appear, judging from this photo and others, that the old Bridge Plaza station site was not re-used after the facility came down.......

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?112939

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

'Tee-Yay' #7065 is what I mean by their bus number using the same serif fonts as used to be ubuiquitous on FACCo/NYCO fleets. No doubt a byproduct of the city takeover of the FACL/Surface network and the creation of MaBSTOA as a TA subsidiary.

W.B.:

I had always THOUGHT that these numbers looked "inherited", but, not being an expert in this area (nor in many others!) I felt I was only assuming, at best.

Numbering styles/lettering styles on buses (like roll sign fonts/readings) makes for an interesting "sideline study" all on its own........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this "ol 'timey" TARS scene, we see TROLLEY cars (note the trolley poles and overhead wires!) at Arthur Avenue & Fordham Road, sometime in the 40's.

The cars are signed for routes "C" and "Z".

Note the older front-engined bus on the left; man, what a museum piece this rugged old beast would make today!

Color scheme looks similar to GREYHOUND; perhaps this might have been a second-hand bus used by a "local" company?

"NYO"

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?116596

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this quiet 1945 scene ("the calm before the storm"?) we see several idle TARS sweepers awaiting the first snowflakes of the season.

Note the prewar bus in the background (a MACK "CL", perhaps?); am wondering if this was a SURFACE bus, or operated by another company........

"NYO"

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?116920

N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
In this "ol 'timey" TARS scene, we see TROLLEY cars (note the trolley poles and overhead wires!) at Arthur Avenue & Fordham Road, sometime in the 40's.

The cars are signed for routes "C" and "Z".

Note the older front-engined bus on the left; man, what a museum piece this rugged old beast would make today!

Color scheme looks similar to GREYHOUND; perhaps this might have been a second-hand bus used by a "local" company?

"NYO"

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?116596

This photo has been argued about in one of Mr. Linsky's threads, but searching long threads is almost impossible. Threads should be kept strictly on topic, and after a certain length (50 posts?) closed. Then the search engine would direct you to a shorter pile of stuff to plod through.
---
In all probability the bus is Fordham Transit or one of the other names the company went by, such as Reservoir. As soon as the company could, it placed post-war Macks in service, and I rode those black-and-white buses from Valentine Avenue to Playland. What confused Mr. Linsky was that Fordham did local service only in Westchester, so it got filed as Westchester, but the headquarters was on Inwood Avenue, The Bronx, one block west of Jerome Avenue about West 170th Street. The Boston Post Road service was an outgrowth of the limousine service from Jewish Mt. Eden to Jewish Catskills. The bus service is now Bee Line 60. The owners smartly realized that there was revenue in day trips to Playland and in local service on U.S. 1 in Westchester.
---
The streetcar marked Z is off-route. It is probably out of Kingsbridge car barn and entering revenue service at West Farms.
---
Nowadays, you can ride local in The Bronx, but Playland is served by two other routes, one from Rye, the other from Yonkers.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe:

Thanks for the info on that Arthur Avenue TARS photo; also thanks for comments on the "mystery" bus. Wink

You also mentioned PLAYLAND; for many years, excursion boats from Exchange Place (Jersey City) and Battery Park sailed to PLAYLAND.

As I've said many times in the past, if the rich history of BoT/NYCTA/MTA bus operations deserves better coverage (book-wise) so do the many "indy" companies that, while playing in a smaller role, were no less important, nor any less interesting.......

"NYO"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting scene on West 32nd Street...

A GM PD-4106 from Blue Bird Coach leads two MaBSTOA TDH-5303 on route 4 at their terminal, Penn Station

s-l1600.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  172.32 KB
 Viewed:  14696 Time(s)

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  160.3 KB
 Viewed:  14696 Time(s)

s-l1600 (2).jpg

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

LOVE LIVE BUS NOSTALGIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks for sharing here....... Wink

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like that pic was 1972, based on one bus being 'Tee-Yay' green and the other bearing the two-tone blue but with gold leaf bus numbers (later changed to silver). The blue bus had 'to Fort Tryon Park' as its destination. To think today only Q32's terminate at what passes for Penn Station today. What would FACCo brass "of the time" (such as Frederic T. Wood and John E. McCarthy) have thought of that development?
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
Looks like that pic was 1972, based on one bus being 'Tee-Yay' green and the other bearing the two-tone blue but with gold leaf bus numbers (later changed to silver). The blue bus had 'to Fort Tryon Park' as its destination. To think today only Q32's terminate at what passes for Penn Station today. What would FACCo brass "of the time" (such as Frederic T. Wood and John E. McCarthy) have thought of that development?

W.B.:

Good question!

Indeed, you DO have to wonder what these fellows would have thought of that development!

It IS indeed strange to think that, even as recently as the 1970's, there was far more "meat" on the MTA's "bones" (bus route-wise) than there is today today.

This is, again, yet another reason why a truly detailed history/photo book on both NYCTA/MTA bus operations; MaBSTOA, most certainly deserves its own volume.

In printed form, we certainly need books that give us the history of each bus route throughout the decades, including route changes, cutbacks, equipment assignments, etc.

One chapter alone could be dedicated to roll sign readings/fonts/etc. through the years.

For starters, a book on MaBSTOA, beginning with the last years of FACCo., and NOT ignoring the New Looks.........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this idea for a bus-enthusiast DVD:

"THE MaBSTOA STORY"......... Wink

Program begins with late FACCo. and SURFACE history (INCLUDING Fishbowls!), and then, moves on from there through to (and including) the MTA era........ Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I would post this photo:

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4347

*I think that is is interesting to note, that, on this day 50 years ago (1969), the Amazin' Mets clinched the Eastern Division title; the Mets beat the Cardinals 6-0!

Though it seems that the Amazin's have hit a bit of a slump as of late, that certainly doesn't mean that they won't come back swingin' next season...... Wink

"NYO"

**LATE NEWS FLASH.....the Amazin's DID pull off a late-game, last-minute miracle, earlier this evening, and emerged victorious,with a 5-4 win! Very Happy
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadway & 96th, 1969.

This now-classic view is truly evocative of the late 60's (not to mention being one of my all-time favorite MaBSTOA pictures.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2824

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

......hard to believe that "Sesame Street" premiered in 1969, 51 years ago! Very Happy

(I STILL recall whenever a bus "sequence" was required with either the humans or the Muppets, the sound effects ALWAYS were always of An Old Look; the distinct sound of a classic "GM" horn, as well as the once oh-so-familiar, sweet, sweet sounds of an Old look pulling up to a stop, doors opening and closing, and then pulling away always brought back great childhood memories for Your's Truly!) Very Happy

I was in my 20's when I started watching "Sesame street", because of the distinct "urban aura" of the show, and also that, there were many skits, clips, and cartoons that featured New York buses and subways (OK, OK, and I ALWAYS got a kick out of the Muppets!) Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In one of the "human" sequences of SS (circa 1979), the unmistakeable sounds of an Old Look could be heard approaching, and the bus mock-up (front and partial driver's side) was CLEARLY a Flex New Look! Shocked

I STILL see that in my mind today! Wink

"NYO"
*One time (1970's), Bob McGrath was singing his trademark tune, "Who Are The People In Your Neighborhood?", and we get to hear a Muppet bus driver (wearing a JACKET, TIE, and CAP!) "pull up" in a cardboard New Look (in MTA blue!) and sing about his job:

"Oh, a bus driver's the man you know-

who takes you where you want to go........"

Talk about wonderfully DATED!!!! Very Happy

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 26 of 29

Jump to: