BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

There's more to a picture than meets the eye.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though from the West Coast, the late Arthur Winston more than deserves mention here.

Though he began working at age 10, picking cotton, he began working for Los Angeles Railways by the 1920's, and retired after 76 years of service in transit!

Wow!!

Just imagine the many types of transit vehicles he encountered and worked with, over the many decades!

When Mr. Winston passed away, he had just passed his 100th birthday.

Truly an inspirational man......in fact, he was honored as "EMPLOYEE OF THE CENTURY" by the US Department Of Labor.......QUITE a distinguished honor!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Winston

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A timeless Fishbowl scene from "The City Of Brotherly Love", 1974.

Too bad the Old Looks, Fishbowls, and even RTS's are now history in Philly.....and elsewhere..... Sad

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3669
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
I had to post this one here, as it is the first that I've ever come across in my numerous photo research quests to show a bus (#6720, here) sporting a "TB TO WARDS ISLAND" reading on the roller curtain.

The photo dates to 1972 (Lexington & 126th)

The "BUS STOP LUNCHEONETTE" on the left looked like it was a neat place for a bus enthusiast of that day a quick, tasty, and economical lunch! Wink

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2192

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)

*Also, note the nostalgic "RHEINGOLD" batwing ad, as well as the (remember these?) two-light traffic signals........

I seem to remember this was in the time when 'TB' was assigned out of 146th Street (#6720 was one of the buses therein assigned); come 1974, the bus numbers would have corresponded with what buses were stationed at 100th Street (in the '60's and '70's they ping-ponged between 100th and 146th Street depots). As for the front roll sign itself, I'd venture a guess that was made in 1965 at the earliest and 1969 at the latest (those are Transign fonts, after all).

Come 1974 and the massive route renumbering, the three routes were a departure from standard MaBSTOA practice for side roll signs as their end destinations were shown instead of the main route description.

Two years into the Manhattan-Wards/Randalls Island branch being renumbered M34, the Manhattan-Astoria leg rechristened M35, and the Bronx-Astoria leg rebranded Bx21, these routes were all assigned out of 132nd Street (as was, as you'll see from this end of a front roll sign from that depot as printed in 1976, the M20 - 116th Street Crosstown).

1974-Side-Sign_M34+M35.jpg
 Description:
M34 and M35 on 1974 Side Roll Sign
(For educational purposes only)
 Filesize:  86.34 KB
 Viewed:  15217 Time(s)

1974-Side-Sign_M34+M35.jpg

1974-Side-Sign_Bx21.jpg
 Description:
Bx21 on 1974 Side Roll Sign
 Filesize:  80.2 KB

1974-Side-Sign_Bx21.jpg

132-st_10-76_05-sm.jpg
 Description:
Last Part of 1976 Rollsign from 132nd Street
 Filesize:  127.57 KB

132-st_10-76_05-sm.jpg

Last edited by W.B. Fishbowl on Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.

Speaking of roll signs, wouldn't you LOVE to be working with what the fellow here has on hand?? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

BIG $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ today, for sure, if these still existed!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Man, I know I sure would not mind working here....... Wink

http://www.newdavesrailpix.com/pitts/htm/usr_h_pit_misc_007_rollsignshop_rhkj.htm

(courtesy: davesrailpix)

I agree in terms of what value there'd be today, although that set of fonts on the roll signs is not my favorite (Transign's are; these look similar to what Trans-Lite had).
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

AWESOME photos.....thanks for posting here!!!!! Very Happy

Literally, one could start a new college course, "Rollsignology 100" and, through its complex and intricate lessons, would make Latin and trigonometry look like a Fisher-Price puzzle by comparison!! Shocked Shocked

A few "Rollsignology 101" test questions:

What type of signs were the "XXXX" series buses first equipped with, when they entered service in 1958?

What depots were the "XXX" series originally assigned to, and how many sign variations did they carry?

When did the branch of route XX24 begin operations, and was this new branch spliced onto the existing roller curtains, or were new ones installed?

In a course such as this, FINALS indeed could be VERY interesting.........Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most beautiful traffic lights were found on Fifth Avenue, specially along midtown.

The statue of Mercury at the top of each traffic light was by Joseph Freedlander.

mercury.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  12.38 KB
 Viewed:  15180 Time(s)

mercury.jpg

84595266_1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.9 KB
 Viewed:  15180 Time(s)

84595266_1.jpg

MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting with the blue & red sign rolls, each exposure had an index tab on the right far end with a chronological number. Clearly seen on the above pictures.

The 132nd Street Depot roll pictured above had a total of 49 readings.

(GM offered, as standard, 25 readings; a new look could hold up to 125 readings)

(Roll signs mounted on a GM could not be mounted on a Flxible and vice-a-versa. The reason is that the signs on a GM were mounted on a triangular metal frame while the Flxible had one roll bar above and below the glass. Therefore, the index tabs would not line up with the exposure window next to the crank/toggle switch above the driver)

When the TA and OA went to these roll signs, a decal listing the readings was placed next to the crank/toggle switch.

The tabs on the black with white letters had the route # and an abbreviated version of the reading.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15:

Agreed, 100%! Very Happy

Those Fifth Avenue signals were truly MASTERPIECES: I used to love watching them change, as a kid.......indeed, they truly were the "Crem De Le Crem" of traffic lights! Very Happy

I sure hope at least one of the signal sections was preserved; I cringe thinking of those magnificent and classy traffic signals simply being sold for junk.

The old Stamford House Wrecking Company, I'm sure, must have gotten at least one or two, for sale to well-heeled collectors (I know there used to be a lot of old transit memorabilia sold there, many years ago, from what I had heard).........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5th Avenue & 37th St., 1972.

By this late date, the classic "Golden Lights" traffic signals that once glittered along 5th have since been replaced with far more utilitarian signals......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?847

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the decal that was applied to all new looks with the blue and red roller signs.

This decal pertains to the Hudson Pier Depot.

IMG_8660 (2).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  189.7 KB
 Viewed:  15147 Time(s)

IMG_8660 (2).JPG

W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15 wrote:
Here is the decal that was applied to all new looks with the blue and red roller signs.

This decal pertains to the Hudson Pier Depot.

This no doubt would have been after 1980. If before 1979, M12 Spring-Delancey end destination sign indicators would have been there alongside M11, M13, M14, M16, M21 and M26.

But that 1974 roll sign also indicated, among Manhattan MaBSTOA depots, 'PIER 57'. Wonder if that was what was on front destination signs for Hudson-based routes, at the beginning and end of such.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Messers. Fishbowl and MaBSTOA 15:

To say your impromptu course in "Rollsignology 101" is not only complex but intriguing, fascinating, and highly educational is indeed a gross understatement.

Might your humble student suggest that you make available a printed study guide (w/illustrations), to further expand the depth of learning?

IMHO, neither Pratt or NYU could even hope to offer the tremendous learning experience you graciously offer here........... Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....just a side note:

Any chance of seeing any lists of rollsign readings from SURFACE buses? (either Old Look or MACK)

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....just a side note:

Any chance of seeing any lists of rollsign readings from SURFACE buses? (either Old Look or MACK)

And that's the other thing. How was it that the route number lists were in red and the end destinations in black - the reverse of FACCo and NYCO protocols?

I have seen some excerpts of STS / ST roll signs on eBay over the years, especially the destinations in black. (Any front half roll sign with ST route numbers and their description in black background was not only post-MaBSTOA, but would have been drawn up in 1964.)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
....just a side note:

And that's the other thing. How was it that the route number lists were in red and the end destinations in black - the reverse of FACCo and NYCO protocols?

I have seen some excerpts of STS / ST roll signs on eBay over the years, especially the destinations in black. (Any front half roll sign with ST route numbers and their description in black background was not only post-MaBSTOA, but would have been drawn up in 1964.)

W.B.:

It's funny, but any time I've seen an old color photo of a SURFACE bus, I've long thought the same thing: the red/black designations always made think of the "reverse" of what FACCo. used on its signs.

I would imagine that, any surviving SURFACE roller curtains (even short segments) would have to be extremely rare today; most likely, most of the signs were still in the buses when they met the torch......... Sad

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: