BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with the 2006 Hybrids

View previous topic :: View next topic  
csorionv2007

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Problems with the 2006 Hybrids Reply with quote

Since Stengel has received hybrids, I have been taken note that the hybrids have been having lots of problems. Like for example the destination signs, have you notice that the front destination sign looks very dim and sometimes the whole destination sign will be all orange or yellow. The side destination sign will be sometimes be in test mode for example it would have space of dots then have numbers (****1*****2*****3****4****5 etc.) Or the wheel chair ramp won't deploy and will have to be manualy lifted by pulling the string. Or the bus will stall out for example on saturday on the Q12 a hybrid stalled out in the intersection of Northern blvd and Marathon Pkwy going Little Neck bound. That is only one of the couple of reports of stall outs with the hybrid. The hybrids have had problems with the interlocks. Since the MTA ordered the hybrids customer injuries went up due to the breaks.
The Don of All Buses

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's not good... not good at all! I guess what they say about cars is also true about buses. They don't make them like they used to.
Q65A

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HEV's seem to have some advantages (i.e. lower emissions, reduced brake maintenance costs, fuel savings) but these advantages require expensive hardware and a great deal of complexity.
I'll bet that the MDBF of the HEV's eventually will improve over time as the design becomes more refined, but for a while there probably will be some rough going.
I'll also bet that the RTS's probably had their share of "teething pains" when they were new.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
I'll also bet that the RTS's probably had their share of "teething pains" when they were new.

They certainly did.
pc2871

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe these teething problems will be fixed with updates in both hardware and software. Remember the NYCT hybrids are all powered with Lead-Acid Batteries. I would like to if switching out for other types of batteries would remedy the Stall out issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: