BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"The Hound" is up for sale (the end of an era)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: "The Hound" is up for sale (the end of an era) Reply with quote

All:

I have just read (online) that GREYHOUND has been put up for sale by its British owner, FirstGroup (FG bought the ailing intercity bus company back in 2007)

GREYHOUND is the last regularly scheduled intercity/interstate bus company in the United States; for a long while now, the once-prestigious company has hit dire times, and overall service has become a passenger's nightmare, with indifferent, often not fully trained drivers, late buses, buses that that never show up, dirty stations and restrooms, not to mention lost luggage.

Truly heartbreaking when one recalls the Hound's Glory Days of the 1940's, 50's, and 60's.

I truly feel for those GREYHOUND employees who, against all odds, have never lost their professionalism and have continued to given their best, despite all odds.

While I am quite saddened by this news (I've been a loyal, lifelong GREYHOUND fan) I have to admit I am not at all surprised by this sad news.

Diamonds might be forever, but GREYHOUND is another story altogether..... Sad

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Thu May 30, 2019 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See:

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/30/greyhound-bus-line-for-sale/
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is sad to see such a storied American (and Canadian) institution sink to this level. It's founder's are probably spinning in their graves. I am proud to have been employed by the company on a couple of occasion's.
I would truly love to see some 'white knight', with deep pockets, buy and resurrect it to its former glory, but that is probably just a pipe dream.

The time for a national bus network has probably come and gone.
I am afraid that whomever buys it, will just 'milk it dry', and eventually liquidate it, that is, if anyone with the means, would even consider buying it...

Sad
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

With so many areas of our country no longer served by AMTRAK, and "Big Red" now just a fading memory, it is going to be hard news indeed to take by many whose only transport link is currently GREYHOUND (i.e. senior citizens, those who cannot or no longer drive, those who choose not to fly, etc.)

That such a fabled, diverse, and prestigious company was allowed to sink into nothing more than a glorified Third World bus company is truly sad indeed.

One need only recall the glory days of shiny Scenicruisers piloted by professional men who called to mind high-ranking Air Force officials, and gleaming, modern stations to see what was once taken for granted....and now, is on the verge of extinction.

As I had said earlier, though I am quite sad by this news, I am not at all surprised....... Sad

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Thu May 30, 2019 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a circa-1960 GREYHOUND-issued motorist's safety comic book, "DRIVING LIKE A PRO" (featuring a 4104!)

"this booklet is offered to the motoring public as another service of GREYHOUND in the interest of safety on our highways. It describes some of the methods that have made GREYHOUND the SAFEST means of transportation----by far!"

".........it costs GREYHOUND $1500 a student to makes us the most thoroughly trained. most-in-demand drivers in surface transportation. They give us an intensive training course for six long weeks in all the details of driving from GO to STOP......"

".......driving a bus is serious business.....that is why we say 'It's such a comfort to take the BUS and leave the driving to US'....."

Another time, another world.........

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: