BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Now it's time to say good-bye...to the faithful RTS.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's quite a bit of bus-oriented nostalgia in the timeless MABSTOA scene from 1981 (hard to believe that this photo was taken nearly 40 years ago!)

Though the RTS is, of course, front and center the GM and Flex New Looks seen here also lend a distinct nostalgic note to this bygone "Noo Yawk" street scene......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3258

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org0
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Columbus Avenue & 72nd, 1981.

Here we see TWO great reasons why bus enthusiasts had so much to capture their interest, back in the day.... Wink

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3257

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

32nd & 7th, 1981.

Back in 1981, this classic lineup would have been only "business as usual".

Today, the only way you'd see such a lineup of classic buses would be to visit the Bus Fest in Brooklyn.........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3270

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T'was only yesterday.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3463

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3462

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the book "RAPID TRANSIT SERIES BUSES" (McCausland)

"......the RTS had become an indelible symbol of New York City, but, in 1999, the last order arrived.......NOVA never truly recovered from losing the perpetual RTS business from the City......"

I cannot agree more with the statement that "....the RTS had come an indelible symbol of New York City...."

'nuff said......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....hard to believe, that, as I type these words, there is not one RTS in operation anywhere in New York City.

Though I certainly regret never riding an MTA RTS (except for the second-hand coaches that ACADEMY once operated) I am truly grateful that i rode them in New Jersey many, many times over the years and also, just "sitting back" and watching them in action on the streets of Gotham.

Without a doubt, the RTS is every much a classic, as were the Old Looks and Fishbowls.....they will be missed........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadway & 34th, 1981.

Timeless........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?763

W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
.....hard to believe, that, as I type these words, there is not one RTS in operation anywhere in New York City.

Though I certainly regret never riding an MTA RTS (except for the second-hand coaches that ACADEMY once operated) I am truly grateful that i rode them in New Jersey many, many times over the years and also, just "sitting back" and watching them in action on the streets of Gotham.

Without a doubt, the RTS is every much a classic, as were the Old Looks and Fishbowls.....they will be missed........

Sounds to me like that whole business of ex-TA/OA RTS' being reassigned to Academy, having been a case of their having been bought by the PA and (originally) leased to TA/OA.
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Broadway & 34th, 1981.

Timeless........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?763

Ah, one of the T8W-204's with TransDot electronic destination signs. No doubt on the M6 route; T8J-204's with Luminator signs had that destination spelt "SOUTHE FERRY."

The dearth of photos of the '82 buses (OA 2580-2704 and TA 1659-1858) compared with those of the '81 set (OA 2201-2579 and TA 1201-1658) seems analogous to the one lone 'Fishbowl' photo in Oliver Ogden's book on FACCo, not to mention the skimpiness in details of their post-'56 history in that same book.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B:

Ahh, that lone Fishbowl photo in the Ogden book on FACCo.......IMHO, it was almost an "afterthought"; what I really thought was amiss was that there was nothing in detail about the last days of FACCo. operations, including details on service changes with the transition into MABSTOA operation, the buses themselves, etc.

At the very least, there could have been an "epilogue" on the early days of MABSTOA operation.

Surely, IF a book is ever written (as I have suggested in the past on a number of occasions here) on MABSTOA, its history, its buses, and its operations, there would be NO excuse of not including a decent number of RTS photos within its pages.

Anyhow, that's just my opinion, for what it's worth.........

"NYO"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and the picture of the fishbowl in Ogden's book is not of great quality...

BTW, the photo on page 97, #2543, a TDH-5104, indeed an ex-Fifth Avenue Coach bus is now in the service of MaBSTOA, (look at the round logo between the side ad cards) but he has it listed as FACo bus.

And one other point, the bus is on route 15 on its return to Jackson Heights. The Manhattan bound red sign was: "8th Street". MaBSTOA extended some trips to 8th Street shortly after their take over.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15 wrote:
...and the picture of the fishbowl in Ogden's book is not of great quality...

BTW, the photo on page 97, #2543, a TDH-5104, indeed an ex-Fifth Avenue Coach bus is now in the service of MaBSTOA, (look at the round logo between the side ad cards) but he has it listed as FACo bus.

And one other point, the bus is on route 15 on its return to Jackson Heights. The Manhattan bound red sign was: "8th Street". MaBSTOA extended some trips to 8th Street shortly after their take over.

MaBSTOA 15:

I totally agree; that lone Fishbowl photo was, without a doubt, NOT of the best quality.

I could be totally wrong here, but, IMHO, it would seem that Mr. Ogden (for whatever reason) did not consider the New Look to be a "true" FACCo. bus.

Think about it...... the Ogden book contained dozens upon dozens of fine double-decker, Old Look, and MACK photos....but only ONE New Look photo.

It is almost as though (given this) that the New Look was "Fifth Avenue's OTHER bus".

That is why I feel that a concise, detailed, and THOROUGH work on MABSTOA is long overdue; at least, in such a work, we know that the proper attention would be given to the New Looks, and other aspects of the former FACCo. operations that were not covered in the Ogden book.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few excerpts from " RAPID TRANSIT SERIES BUSES" (McCausland, 2008):

".......the NYCTA took delivery of quite a few T80-206s in March, 1998, which, outside of different engines, were essentially the same specification and configuration as their first Series 04s....."

"........later NYCTA Novas didn't even wear blacked-out door windows, something that made the earlier buses look much more streamlined......."

"......Fort Worth, Texas, bought T8J-204s in 1981, but leased a handful of ex-NYTCA units in the late 1990's. These ex-New York buses were used for express service, and were equipped with semi-suburban seating......."

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that the time-honored RTS has vanished from the streets of New York, this photo seems all the more symbolic.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3358

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more interesting bits from "RAPID TRANSIT SERIES BUSES".........

There is a photo (mid-1980) showing a demo bus somewhere on the upper West Side, heading east; you can see the West Side highway in the background.

The destination sign reads:

"GMC-RTS II"

The caption beneath the photo (page #64) tells us that the City had another visitor from GM, when a 40', 102" wide demo arrived in the City.

There is also much on the "ALLISON NYCTA HYBRID" (1999)

Excerpts:

".......onlookers in New York outside the Jacob Javits Center in early 1999 witnessed a truly ironic scene.There stood GM's Rick Wagoner, prior to the New York Auto Show, touting GM's new technology in transit buses by pointing to an RTS----a design GM had abandoned more than a decade prior. Beneath the sleek exterior lay the major development not only for Allison's Transmission Division, but also, for GM itself........"

"........along with testing the hybrid bus in revenue service, the NYCTA agreed to donate a bus to Allison for installation of a new hybrid system; what the engineers in Michigan were given was MTA #8369, a 1990 TMC T80-206. Interestingly, this bus had a history with experimental propulsion, as it was originally demonstrated with a methanol-fueled 6V-92TA......."

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 10 of 31

Jump to: