BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kramden's Time Travel!"/Batman goes the MABSTOA way....
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Kramden's Time Travel!"/Batman goes the MABSTOA way.... Reply with quote

All (especially youse fellow "Honeymoonies")....... Wink

While watching "The Honeymooners" on DVD earlier, I was thinking of a great "retro Honeymooners" spoof.......hope you enjoy Very Happy

On a sunny, summer Saturday in 1955, the Kramdens and the Nortons take the BMT out to Coney Island to spend the day.

While the girls are getting their picnic lunch ready, and Norton at a boardwalk newsstand browsing through the latest comic books, Ralph decides to visit a fortune teller on the boardwalk ("Madame Zelda") to see what his future holds.

Inside her colorfully-lit booth, Madame tells Ralph that "at some point in the near future, you will be traveling into the 21st century."

Ralph, somewhat annoyed, dismisses the prediction as malarky, and reluctantly plunks down his quarter.

As he leaves Madame's garishly-lit booth and starts to head for Norton, Alice, and Trixie on the beach, he suddenly finds himself in a vortex of flashing lights and streaking shafts of colored flashes

Thinking the heat might have gotten to him, Ralph rubs his eyes........then stares, open-mouthed....in a total daze.

It is now 2018, and Ralph finds himself standing in front of the old GOTHAM BUS COMPANY headquarters and garage. The old "GOTHAM BUS COMPANY" sign has been covered over with a new "MTA" sign.

He is shocked to see the way passersby are dressed, and likens the autos to something out of a "Captain Video" adventure.

Ralph is still in a state of shock as he sees a huge articulated bus pull out of one of the bays, snaking its serpentine way out into the crowded street..

"GAHHHH!!" he shouts in fright, jumping backwards a good two feet.

"What the heck is that?!?" Ralph gasps, "Is that a bus or is it a giant caterpillar?!?

He then sees an RTS, after finishing its run, pulling into the depot. Again, he is speechless.

Now, he sees a group of drivers shooting the breeze just outside the building, and overhears them talking about Metrocards, fare-evasion problems, and other tidbits that have Ralph totally perplexed, scratching his head.

Suddenly he bellows out: "What the heck are Metrocards?!? You don't use tokens or change anymore?? And who the heck would dare get on a bus and refuse to pay his fare.....it's only 13 cents"!

The off-duty drivers look at him as though he were nuts.

He also looks at the drivers' uniforms, which look nothing like the uniform he wears to work every day.

One older driver looks over at Ralph and remarks, "Ya know, that fat guy over there looks like someone I used to know, a long time back!"

One of his buddies remarks, "Yeah, ol' tubby DOES look a bit familiar at that!"

Before Ralph can reply, he sees, at the curb, an Old Look bus, the same type he drives every day for the Gotham Bus Company.

When he goes to comment to the drivers on seeing #2629, he overhears the drivers talking about how the "Jackie Gleason Bus" is going to be used in an upcoming movie shoot.

Again, Ralph scratches his head.

"Jackie Gleason.....ya know, I think I knew that guy....maybe I used to shoot pool with him!", Ralph silently muses.

At that moment, he again finds himself in a whirling vortex of flashing lights and strange "outer space" sounds........

Slowly opening his eyes, he finds himself back in 1955, on the Coney Island boardwalk, and can see Alice, Norton, and Trixie sitting on a large beach blanket, with a hefty, tasty spread all laid out.

In the background, he can hear the shrieks and laughter coming from the merrymakers seeking thrills on the Cyclone and the Parachute Jump.

Alice sees him; she waves and calls to him, "C'mon Ralph, I know you were pretty hungry coming out here on the subway!"

Ralph waves back, grinning.

"Baby, you're the greatest!" he mutters under his breath........ Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:46 pm; edited 6 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......a few weeks later, Ralph sees a photo of an exotic caterpillar at the Museum of Natural History in the paper.

He stares at the photo for a moment, then shakes his head, and mutters: ".....that thing reminds me of that 'giant caterpillar bus' I saw when I traveled into 2018 a few weeks ago....."

He feels a faint chill along his spine and then puts down the paper, thinking of yet another way to "get in good" with Mr. Marshall, President of the Gotham Bus Company.

Again, Ralph thinks back to his trip into the 21st century and says to himself: "I wonder what Mr. Marshall would do if he saw those 21st century buses......would he be impressed, or run to the store for the nearest economy-sized FLIT gun....."

He moves on from that bit of pondering, thinking of the important Raccoon Lodge meeting he and Norton will be attending after supper....... Wink

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wannabe screenwriter, eh? Laughing
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
A wannabe screenwriter, eh? Laughing

traildriver:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing Laughing

Not in the SLIGHTEST........I'm just a VERY dedicated "Honeymoonie"........(!!) Wink

I have watched "The Original 39" over and over too many times too count; I remember, years before I got my first VCR, I used to tape record the audio of the shows on WPIX; I would later enjoying listening to the show while I worked on a transit model or two.

That show will ALWAYS remain as funny and as "laugh-out-loud" as it was over six decades ago;

NO WONDER Jackie Gleason was known as "The Great One"!! Very Happy

And the lovely Audrey Meadows' "Alice" was a perfect match for Ralph's blustering and booming rants:

Ralph: "BANG! ZOOM! YOU'RE GOIN' TO THE MOON, ALICE!"

Alice: Yeah, and you're just the blimp to take me there!"

Art Carney's "Norton".....man, what can you say about this wonderfully "out of sync" doofus, whose mere presence was a guarantee that big laughs were in the wings?

And the lovely and talented "second banana" Trixie (Joyce Randolph; the only surviving cast member)........her personality always glowed whenever she was on camera. Wink

"The Honeymooners" was and IS classic comedy at it's BEST (next to "I Love Lucy", of course!) Wink

"NYO" Very Happy

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:20 am; edited 4 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....I always thought it odd that the bus always seen in "HONEYMOONERS" publicity shots (#2629) is still lettered for "NEW YORK OMNIBUS"; IMHO, at least for these "Honeymooners" photos, #2629 should have been temporarily lettered for the "GOTHAM BUS COMPANY".....makes sense to me, anyway...... Wink

"NYO"
frankie

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
....I always thought it odd that the bus always seen in "HONEYMOONERS" publicity shots (#2629) is still lettered for "NEW YORK OMNIBUS"; IMHO, at least for these "Honeymooners" photos, #2629 should have been temporarily lettered for the "GOTHAM BUS COMPANY".....makes sense to me, anyway...... Wink

"NYO"

I wonder if Batman would ride them on his off days?
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie wrote:
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:

"NYO"

I wonder if Batman would ride them on his off days?

frankie:

Well, if the BATmobile was in the shop being overhauled, I am QUITE sure that Batman would NOT have minded getting around on a BATwing Fishbowl (at least incognito)!!!!!!!!!! Wink

"HOLY MABSTOA, BATMAN!" Shocked

"NYO"

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1308

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1297

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of "BATMAN".........

In this "stock footage" scene from the campy 1960's television series, take note of the MABSTOA Fishbowl.....now....if the Batmobile just happened to be in the shop that day...... Wink

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_762900-GMC-TDH-5303-1963.html

(courtesy: imcdb.org)

(*Also, note the two buses seen going in the opposite direction, in the upper left background)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This VERY dated (even for 1966!) "Noo Yawk" scene from "BATMAN" indeed cannot be overlooked by bus enthusiasts! Very Happy

"Stock footage", at least a decade old, back in 1966....... Shocked

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_600150-Checker-Taxicab_A-6-1954.html

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this scene from 1966's "BATMAN-THE MOVIE!" we see the "Dynamic Duo" clearly outpacing a NYCTA Old Look....... Wink

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_375340-Chevrolet-Malibu-1965.html

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri May 17, 2019 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stills from the original "THE HONEYMOONERS" opening credits; it's pretty obvious BUICK was the sponsor!

These opening shots, sadly, were never seen in the syndicated shows...... Sad

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_959482-GMC-TDH-4509-1949.html

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_959491-Buick-Century-63-1955.html

(courtesy:imcdb.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the "Ralph Kramden" of the early 2000's (out of uniform) along with a now-classic RTS........

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_133098-GMC-RTS-1985.html

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 1995 ORION V, seen in the 2005 "Honeymooners" movie.

Of course, it is NOT the kind of bus one would associate with Ralph Kramden, BUT, a BUS is a BUS......... Wink

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_408644-Orion-V-1995.html

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Cameo" appearance by MABSTOA #2629 in 1965's "A Thousand Clowns"........

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_447708-GMC-TDH-5106-1058.html

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A still from the same movie; here, we see one of my all-time favorite actors, Jason Robards, just stepping of Fishbowl ("31??")

Also, note, too the (DATED!!!) bit of the front dash 7UP advertising placard, "MEET YOU AT THE FAIR!"......

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_447524-GMC-TDH-5303-1963.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: