BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Diesel consumption/fueling up

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Diesel consumption/fueling up Reply with quote

All:

Curious as to which buses were more fuel efficient, Old Looks or New Looks?

To me, at least, the MACKS looked like very thirsty "guzzlers".

How fuel efficient were the GRUMMANS?

Also curious (on average) how often the buses needed their tanks filled again (I know many factors would be involved here)

What about the fueling needs/consumption of the present-day MTA fleet?

Also, hoping one of the "experts" here might be able to provide some vintage photos showing BoT/NYCTA/MTA buses "filling up".

Appreciate any info on this inquiry....

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very first buses put into service for New York City Omnibus in 1935-36 were gas. Don't know when the first diesels came on the scene, but certainly among the first would be the first of the 'Old Looks', TD-4502 and TD-4505, in 1941-42. I seem to remember reading in old NYCO annual reports that some time in the later '40's some of the buses originally made for gas were converted to diesel.
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The search engine at BusTalk returns too many answers on threads that go for many pages, so it is difficult to find old answers to new discussions.
---
At any rate, I recall seeing a post THIS YEAR stating that some Surface Transportation buses of the late 1930's were diesel-electrics, not gasoline-electrics. That is, the transmission was electric, the engines sending power to the electric motors that powered the axle. Unfortunately, I cannot find this reference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: