BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NY photos by Eugene de Salignac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: NY photos by Eugene de Salignac Reply with quote

A dozen public libraries in Nassau County now have a copy of an excellent book of New York City photographs: "New York Rises: Photographs by Eugene de Salignac." This follows a recent exhibit of his work, an exhibit at the Museum of the City of New York. I wish I could link this post to his photos on line, but I cannot find them on the internet. Our city employed de Salignac as a photographer from 1906 to 1934. He took pictures mostly of city properties and construction sites, but there is plenty of transit interest. Rather than type long posts, I will describe one or two items per post.
------
In January, 1927, he photographed the activities board of the Department of Plant and Structures. It lists the municipal bridges, viaducts, ferries, bus lines, trolley lines, works under construction, etc. Here is the list of bus routes then under the supervision (ownership?) of the Department of Plant and Structures:
Madison and Chambers Sts
Delancey and Spring Sts
Avenue C
Hillside Avenue, Jamaica
79th Street
86th Street
96th Street
Dyckman St
Wyckoff Avenue
Prospect Avenue
Jerome Avenue
West Farms City Island
Pelham Bay City Island
Fort Schuyler
Howard Beach
Flushing - Whitestone
Flushing - Bayside
Sutphin Blvd, Jamaica
Sheepshead Bay, Plum Beach
Richmond Hill
South Ozone Park
Rockaway Blvd
Crescent Street
Fresh Pond Road, Jamaica
Jamaica - St Albans
Jamaica - Hollis - St Albans
Jamaica - Rosedale

(More to come. Joe McMahon)
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

The de Salignac book is just exactly what I've been looking for in the hope of capturing some pictures of Green Line's buses back in the very early thirties when they serviced Manhattan crosstown routes.

I have searched the Internet hign and low and, while you would think that there would be plenty of 1920's and 1930's Manhattan street scenes, there aren't.

I'm going to check with my library out here (L.A.) and see if they can get me a copy on loan.

Thanks for sharing.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky,
Sorry to say, but this book does not contain photos of Green Line buses. I recommend the book because of its clear scenes of New York City, often with items of interest to transit fans. That list was from a photo that seems to have been taken in the lobby of the Municipal Building. That is, it is a list from their bulletin board in the lobby.
Bus scenes are few in this book.
-------
One scene (page 132) is taken on the cobble-stone street outside the Debrosses Street Ferry (Manhattan). Dated November 6, 1919, it is labeled "Stage Line, Desbrosses Street Ferry, general view of stages waiting." One bus is painted on the side "Kearny & Arlington," a wooden body mounted on what may be a truck. Over the windshield is a crudely lettered sign, "Debrosses and Grand St Ferries." Two other buses are parked with this one. Perhaps some NJ buses had been hired to supplement or compete with the crosstown streetcar.
------
Another scene (page 102) is labeled "Stage Line, Manhattan Bridge, view at Borough Hall, Brooklyn, October 31, 1919." It is a very clear photo of a curb side of a bus with a running board, a door, and five windows along the side. It is marked with perhaps temporary wooden signs "Borough Hall, Coney Island Avenue, and Windsor Place." "Fare only 5 cents." In the background is the Fulton St El with a train in operation and several street cars. How Manhattan Bridge got in the label I don't know. Maybe this route originated in Manhattan, visited Borough Hall, and continued to Windsor Place.
Joe McMahon
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

Nothing that you describe sounds familiar to me although that era must have been extremely interesting.

There are numbers of pictures of Fifth Avenue motor coaches going back to the turn of the century (old Fifth Avenue has gotten much play in photography through the early years).

I'm sure if I keep searching I will eventually come up with something.

In the meantime, thanks so much for the trouble you have gone to (that's really sharing!).

Mr. 'L'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: