BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"AMERICA WITHOUT GREYHOUND"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: "AMERICA WITHOUT GREYHOUND" Reply with quote

All:

I have just read an online "RAILWAY AGE" article, "AMERICA WITHOUT GREYHOUND".

Try to read this article if you can (I cannot provide the link); it truly is a sobering thought to imagine a country without "The Hound", which, sadly, has been heading downwards for years.

With many areas in the nation no longer even served by AMTRAK, this scenario is indeed an ominous one.....let's hope it never happens.

"AMBUS", anyone?

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that the article mentioned that there are plenty of advocates for Amtrak but almost none for intercity bus travel. Wonder if the bitter aftertaste left over from the so-called "streetcar conspiracy" initiated by General Motors "way back when" has carried over to the present day in that regard?
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
Interesting that the article mentioned that there are plenty of advocates for Amtrak but almost none for intercity bus travel. Wonder if the bitter aftertaste left over from the so-called "streetcar conspiracy" initiated by General Motors "way back when" has carried over to the present day in that regard?

W.B:

I would not at all be the least surprised.

With TRAILWAYS long gone, and GREYHOUND on the skids, it really makes one pause to think of what the eventual outcome will be, especially given AMTAK's current state.

I have long believed that whatever remains of America's vast and intertwining intercity bus network has long been ignored by both politicians and the general public at large.

When when we fully come to appreciate the intercity bus industry?

When it is relegated to memory and history books?

The intercity bus industry has been in decline for many a year now; and to me it seems that it will never be seen for its full potential until it is no more......

"NYO"
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The common carrier transportation problem in the 48 contiguous states runs across the modes of airplanes, buses, and trains. Airlines skip smaller cities. I think even Memphis airport is half empty. Is it 30 years ago that Greyhound moved onto the interstates and neglected U. S. and state roads? Amtrak still fills in weakly.
---
Sample: How to get from Princeton to Yale? A one-seat ride on Amtrak.
The 20th Century Limited, I believe, did NY to Chicago regularly in 16 hours, without boarding or leaving passengers anyplace between. Conductors were responsible for making certain the Ontario shortcut was not misused for immigration. Now border guards plague buses that remain on I-90, never cross into Canada.
---
The much-delayed Lake Shore Limited (Amtrak 49, daily) makes 19 stops across five states. You can board at Rhinecliff, NY, and get off at Bryan, Ohio.
---
In December of 1967, I reveled in my front-seat ride on Greyhound from New Orleans to New York. A good amount was done off the interstates. We dropped a bothersome drunk at a bar on U.S. 90. My first sign of returning homeward east was the large sign in Atlanta: Pastrami!
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4:

Great post; thanks for sharing your views! Very Happy

Today, if one chooses not to fly to Chicago from the New York area, there is only AMTRAK and GREYHOUND (at least for now)

Back in the 1960's, you had both GREYHOUND and CONTINENTAL TRAILWAYS (as bus choices to the Windy City)

Rail-wise, you had any of a number of choices: you had still trains of the PRR and the NYC, as well as two trains of the ERIE-LACKAWANNA from Hoboken, NJ (the "PHOEBE SNOW" and the "LAKE CITIES" (the last Hoboken-to-Chicago train ran in 1970)

Back when GREYHOUND absorbed fabled "Big Red", many saw this as GREYHOUND now having the monopoly in intercity bus travel, that "The Hound" was now the undisputed King Of The Road.

Sadly, between deregulation, strikes, and other negative factors, the stage was, even then, being set for GREYHOUND's twilight.

GREYHOUND, though sadly falling into neglect for many years now, is still a vital "connection" to many who, for whatever reasons, choose to take the bus.

It used to be, only several decades ago, where America's passenger trains could take you almost anywhere in the country, and, where the trains did not go, the bus indeed did, stopping at cities and towns, major terminals, drug stores, diners, and service stations alike.

We hear so much in the media regarding AMTRAK and its many ups and downs; we very seldom, if ever, hear anything regarding GREYHOUND's still-important role in intercity transport.

It will be interesting, to say the least, what the future holds for GREYHOUND, especially with the recent demise of BIEBER........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also worthy to consider, if, sadly, GREYHOUND does bite the dust (may this never happen) how "indy" carriers like "MEGABUS" (and other no-frills-street corner-pickup companies) will try to handle the void.

When one looks at the vast GREYHOUND network of 1960, and compares it today, the glaring differences truly speaks many volumes.

Changing economics, demographic shifts, deregulation, and other factors have, without a doubt, played huge roles in the decades-long decline of this once-great carrier............

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

North of the border.....NOT a pretty picture, by any means....... Sad

https://globalnews.ca/news/4322146/greyhound-western-canada-alternatives/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, GREYHOUND no longer runs SALT LAKE CITY-SACREMENTO (AMTRAK honored tickets at one time)

GREYHOUND has fragmented trips SALT-LAKE CITY-DENVER via Grand Junctions, which was once CONTINENTAL TRAILWAYS, but mostly an I-80 service between LA, San Francisco, and New York.........

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read the article, and pretty much agree with its assessment of the situation.
Greyhound does not have the advocates that Amtrak has for support, but the way Greyhound has been treating its rider’s in recent history, that should certainly come as no surprise...

The need for a national bus nerwork, has come, and now sadly has gone for all but a small handful, who will have to seek alternative transportation, where they can find it...🙁
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
I just read the article, and pretty much agree with its assessment of the situation.
Greyhound does not have the advocates that Amtrak has for support, but the way Greyhound has been treating its rider’s in recent history, that should certainly come as no surprise...

The need for a national bus network, has come, and now sadly has gone for all but a small handful, who will have to seek alternative transportation, where they can find it...🙁

traildriver:

Agreed; GREYHOUND certainly does not have the advocates that AMTRAK does for support; and, from the many horror stories I have read online about GREYHOUND's ever-declining service levels, its demise (sad to say) would not surprise me in the slightest.

I also agree 100% on a national bus network; something along these lines is LONG overdue.....but, sadly, may be too late........

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: